myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ideas for a custom sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 

Which design would you choose?
1. design, big double fullered type X with gaddhjalt fittings
38%
 38%  [ 23 ]
2. design, very long and slender crusader themed type XI with disc or type B brazil nut pommel
41%
 41%  [ 25 ]
3. design, performance oriented gaddhajlt hilted type Xa
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 60

Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think all three configurations would result in something very interesting. I also found the discussion your posting initiated to be very interesting as well. I found it very good reading - thanks to all
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka-

That sword looks like it would work for what you have in mind. I'm a fan of type Xi swords so this one should be interesting. You seem to be drawing on some really good swords for your inspiration. I'm looking forward to seeing it done!
Cornelis Tromp

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
This simple inscriptions from Oakeshott's "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" might work well for the XI design I think:

Somehow you managed to turn the second design into my favorite, rather than first one. Happy

Hi Luka

the Picture is an Example of this same early inlay technique as the Oakeshott sketch where the twisted silver stripes are hammered in the slots when the blade was still hot however under melting point of 960C, in the case of silver.(Viking swords do have the same technique of inlays with iron strips.)
I noticed your request by PM and will post some pictures of this sword when I find some time.

Attachment: 68.09 KB
inlayinioini.jpg

Attachment: 115.18 KB
swiftvs.jpg

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cornelis, thanks, that is a nice example of that type of both blade and hilt. And a nice inscription too.
It seems that I won't have enough money to go completely custom from a scratch since I plan to upgrade my kit with a helmet and maybe some other bits, so my smith will start the work with an existing blade. Fittings will be completely custom to fit my period and type of blade the best.
For the design number 2, XI blade:

Del Tin 2142 blade (99cm):

Or Viktor Berbekucz MFK03 blade (90cm):

If I decide on a design number 3, or design 1 just without double fullers, the blade to be modified will be Hanwei Tinker GSoW (90cm):

I'm just not sure if Berbekucz blade maybe tapers too much in profile to fit in the type XI.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally Luka, I would go with the Del Tin over the Viktor Berbekucz. The Del Tin is the better looking blade for a Type XI to my eye, and if you're going to spend the money to make a custom sword by rehilting an old blade, you might as well use the best blade available.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Personally Luka, I would go with the Del Tin over the Viktor Berbekucz. The Del Tin is the better looking blade for a Type XI to my eye, and if you're going to spend the money to make a custom sword by rehilting an old blade, you might as well use the best blade available.

I agree, but I will probably see the Berbekucz blade in person soon and I think it might look better in person than on this picture... Del Tin blade I do have and that is an advantage of it, but a lot of work should be done on it. Hexagonal section must be ground into lenticular, distal taper must be added, secondary bevel must be blended into an apple seed, fuller should be lengthened a bit, and finally, the inscription will be inlayed. Happy
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the moment, the sword looks like this, I don't have the money for the inlaying right now so the inlay has to wait. Maybe I'll leave it like this, I like its simple beauty. It's a Del Tin 2142 blade with a tip part of the blade made into lenticular instead of a hexagonal section, shortened tang and custom fittings. All changes were made by Alojz Krišto. The overall length is 113.5cm, 99cm blade plus 14.5cm hilt. The weight is 1.40kg (3lb2oz).

Last edited by Luka Borscak on Tue 13 Dec, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice! I like the red grip. Well done!
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's what I call a commanding presence! Congratulations Luka!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys! The handling of a sword is interesting, the feel of presence and power is incredible, recovery is not the fastest, but the overall weight is not too great for a sword of this size. The PoB is pretty far out, but I think the handling benefits more from the lower overall weight than it would from closer PoB in this case. I can't wait to try some cutting...
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Luka. I like the pommel - reminds me of my A&A type X. So, out of the various original swords you were considering, which do you feel your new sword represents most closely? Or is it a combination?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Thanks for posting Luka. I like the pommel - reminds me of my A&A type X. So, out of the various original swords you were considering, which do you feel your new sword represents most closely? Or is it a combination?

For the hilt I took these two swords for inspiration, because they suit well a dating I wanted for my sword (second half of the 11th century and first half of 12th):

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxi05.jpg

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxi08.jpg

Since the smith worked with a Del Tin blade the blade isn't really a close replica of anything, but when I have more money I will invest it in this sword and the smith will profile it more like the swords used as an inspiration for the hilt, and probably add an inlay too.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ideas for a custom sword
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: