Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Rebirth of a Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, this is just perfect! I am very glad to see the fruits of your theory displayed and it does seem to me that you managed to really "hit the nail on the head" with it. Can't wait till you publish the full of it...

As for this specific sword - it does seem huge, when compared to other contemporary swords, and serves as proof to the great skill bladesmiths possessed back then (and to your own skill of course, for being able to replicate it so masterfully!)
S. Jansone

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a really nice one!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for kind words and encouragement.

-Patric: Yes this is a sword that is right up your alley. i can see for my inner eye how you would look once you grabbed this one and wielded it: a special kind of happy ferociousness ;-)
Initially, I intended to make a scabbard for it, but decided to leave it be.

-JD: I don´t know if it is something specially Swedish about it. Perhaps it is? Scattered among more "normal" cousins you will find the odd monster. The Fyris sword could perhaps be classified as a type XII or perhaps a very big type XIa. The outline is subtle: there is a very slight flair at the base that is not very obvious but still has an effect on its visual impact.

Personally I feel that those swords that are a bit outside the "norm" are always the most interesting. If a sword stikes me as odd or even ugly, I know that chances are I can learn much from it. I appreciate those that are unusually big, but also those that are very light.

-Jeremy: well spotted! The ridges on each side of the fuller are slightly rounded, to better meet the look of B78. A river find will naturally have its lines a bit softened by rusting, but I think the fuller originally were somewhat blended or at least had somewhat rounded ridges. This is a pretty common feature in medieval swords. Especially if they have been re-polished or seen much use. It can well be a feature a blade would have had when it was new as well.
Eric G.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

The more I see of your work the more impressed I am. I don't think that I've ever seen one of your pieces that I didn't love. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
B. Stark
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Frankly Peter, you exhaust me...that is an amazing work there! It never ceases to surprise me how these swords exhibit a presence and aesthetic that shouldn't be. There's no inlay, or embellishment just understated power and strength. Obviously this is a singlehand of singlehanded swords! Look at that beast...excellence as always.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, please, please put out an art book of your work for all of us who will never get to see swords like this in person. I don't think I've ever seen a piece of yours I didn't immediately want to own.

Astonishing as usual mate. Happy
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Your attention to detail is always stunning. This one is no exception. Absolutely beautiful work Big Grin

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What can I say that hasn't already been said here? Your attention to the quiet subtly of line, shape, and volume screams loudly in the whole of the finished items you create. As has already been mentioned here, your attention to detail is stunning and nearly unmatched, but it's the overall presence of the pieces that you create that is even more impressive to me. They speak to me even through photos over the 'net, and that's an impressive feat.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Magnificent (and imposing!) as usual Peter.

To you it may be a detail, but again what a splendid grip treatment! Even in these finishing steps you manage to push yourself a little bit further everytime.

Since I was among the happy few who had the pleasure of listening to you lecturing on swords, I especially look forward to reading anything you'd care to publish on the subject.

Cheers,

Julien
Roland T

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Great sword         Reply with quote

Stunning sword. I echo what others have said here.
J.D. Crawford

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those interested in these extra-large one-hand swords:

I thought of Peter's sword last evening while reading Oakeshott's 'Sword in Hand'. Chapter 9 describes another huge one-hand sword found in Northern Italy, known as the Pontirolo Sword after its find-place. This one is even bigger (40.5" x 2.75" blade) with a fuller that runs somewhat futher down the blade, and a blob-like pommel, weighing in around 5 Lbs. Oakeshott calls it an XIa.

I don't want to violate any copyrights, but someone already posted this scan of the sword next to an ordinary 'big' medieval sword: http://sites.google.com/site/bghomofaber/pontirolo-2.gif

It seems there were a certain percentage of these over-grown blades during this period. I wonder if they were special purpose or just made for very big men.
William P

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

or maybe because those puny type XIa's and XIIs just wernt doing their job of wrecking everything the world could throw at the knights of that era,

but i think this thread showcases WHY albion is the ferrari of sword makers.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to handle this sword at Ashokan. It's sublime.

I got to look at it quite closely, and I have a "polisher's eye." I can pick apart what most people consider a perfect finish in seconds. This sword was incredible. Peter's attention to detail is simply unreal. I found myself staring into the steel's surface almost hypnotized. This was not a perfect Japanese art polish, it was intended to recreate a medieval finish, a smooth final coat over a visible coarser undercoat, and the way it was executed is pure artistry. I couldn't find anything that wasn't just right, and I'm crazy.

When it comes to Peter's work, I am a teenage girl at a Twilight screening.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

hahahaha!!! I know right? I remember seeing the Jabberwocky sword a few years back and don't think I've ever wanted anything so much.
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a perfect example of why I'm an outspoken fan of both Peter and Albion.
A great example of yet another magnificent Swedish sword that deserved to be revived. Great work! And not just becaue I'm a patriot, though I confess there's a part of that in there too. Happy

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, no one will deny than in Sweden some of the most interesting swords are found... This one is a good example and this revival is just glorious...
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

hahahaha!!! I know right? I remember seeing the Jabberwocky sword a few years back and don't think I've ever wanted anything so much.

I take it you mean that you've seen it in person? I am so jealous of anyone who has had the fortune to see this sword. I understand it is of quite imposing proportions. As far as my favourite swords go there is this one then daylight to the next.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Taylor Ellis wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

I take it you mean that you've seen it in person? I am so jealous of anyone who has had the fortune to see this sword. I understand it is of quite imposing proportions. As far as my favourite swords go there is this one then daylight to the next.

Unfortunately no, I haven't seen it in person, I was just talking about the pictures Peter posted on here and the online Masters of Fire gallery. I haven't been lucky enough to see one of Peter's pieces in person yet. Happy
J.D. Crawford

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
-JD: I don´t know if it is something specially Swedish about it. Perhaps it is? Scattered among more "normal" cousins you will find the odd monster.

I thought of this again after coming across Jan Guillou's Arn books in my bookshelf. Recall that he makes a big deal about Swedes liking heavy broad swords, as opposed to Arn's light, long sword in this 12th century tale. When I read that I dismissed it as lack of knowledge about Viking-age swords, and assuming the North was behind the times, but maybe there's more to it? Also, someone else on this forum (unfortunately I cannot remember who), after a museum visit to Sweden, noted that the Viking swords seemed larger than those in Norway and Denmark.

I just don't know. I'm ashamed to say that after many travels to Europe, including several trips to my 'fatherland' of Scotland, I have not been to my 'motherland' of Sweden - must correct this at the first chance.

By the way, my new Tritonia is great! Looks terrific and feels like a much lighter sword.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Rebirth of a Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: