Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Early Cutlass techniques? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Benjamin: I'm really pleased a dussack enthusiast has joined in this thread, because I personally feel it is the closest we can get to cutlass techniques, given the lack of documentation. I wish I could find a salle near me that practises dussack, or stir some enthusiasm amongst my salle students to try some.

As for bracing the blade (and this is seen used repeatedly in the first of the cutlass videos linked above), I do feel it is necessary. The cutlasses we use in the salle have a broad, thick, heavy blade (more so than 'real' ones, because they are steel blunts). They have a lot of momentum when swung with intent, and although the idea is to deflect a cut rather than simply stop it, if this does not happen according to plan, an unsupported blade will just be swept aside. It's a belt-and-braces technique, so to speak.

And for molinets, well, they are used all the time in backsword to, as you rightly say, gain an advantage in terms of position, angle of attack, timing. In an open order encounter then, of course, they are essential. But my comments were specifically about the closed order of a line defending against boarding, where movement is very restricted and you have to be very aware of your neighbour (who is also, incidentally, defending you as well as you defending him, to further complicate matters).

On the issue of sword & buckler versus bayonet - although in the salle we have done plenty of bayonet work, this combination is something we have never seriously attempted. Maybe something for the future (after all, it's no different to spear/pike vs. sword/buckler in essence). Lots to try out. Now all I need is for my fellow fencers to share my taste for experimentation!
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When you are putting up the guard, where on the blade are you accepting the attack? Also, are you putting the blade into position and waiting for the incoming strike, or moving it to where you want them to meet at the same time as the attack is incoming?
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love it if I could always avoid presenting the foible (weak, end) of my cutlass to every attack. But that would leave me with less than a foot of steel (on a cutlass blade of 25" average length) with which I could effectively protect my body mass from the full force of a cut, and control the direction of my opponent's blade. The act of bracing the foible with my off hand gives me those few important extra inches of control and, effectively, lengthens my forte and mezzo. This is especially important in close order, where controlling your adversary's blade has to be done in far more confined space than one would, say, in a backsword encounter at greater distance and measure.

As for waiting to be hit, I have been fencing for too long to wait for my opponent to take the advantage. Nor can you 'line up' the shot and expect your adversary to take it!
Benjamin Floyd II

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really need to get in lines and fight before I can really say anything useful. However, fighting with the hand bracing the blade can be done effectively.

Here's some dussack tournament clips for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WMAcoalition#p/u/5/KKLhCvYeJiE

First hit - inside forearm
Second hit - face
Third hit- face

Yay, I won. The high extended guard isn't bogen (bow). That's more of an extended stier (steer) or inverted schnidt (slice).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQK8JxL3x24&feature=related

This is the final for Swordfish 2010.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julian Reynolds wrote:
Cutlass is nothing like smallsword. They are two completely different weapons, at the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of function and fencing. Even using Hope's New method, which some would argue is a more 'practical' adaptation of smallsword than the gentlemanly weapon of the duel, you cannot get away from the fact that the smallsword is a straight light-bladed weapon designed for thrusting, and the cutlass is a curved heavy-bladed weapon designed for cutting. One would be used by a gentleman who had spent a lot of time learning how to use it proficiently, the other would be used by a common sailor who would have had a minimum of training in its use.......

Hmm. I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss Hope's method specifically. The most important point about his system is perhaps the extensive use of the hanging guard and the preference for using the off hand to grab the opponent's arm or weapon after a successful block/parry. Neither was particularly "graceful" by the standards of the age and might have even been disapproved of in a gentlemanly duel (note how, despite its practicality, Hope's method couldn't manage to stem the dominance of the French and Italian fashions in smallsword techniques), but could have been potentially useful in the less structured environment of a boarding action with cutlasses. Indeed, Hope's hanging guard would have been only marginally different from the main overhead guard you use, and in functional terms the two are probably almost identical.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2538/3845178672_f4889f2bb9_o.jpg
That reminds me of this image and this manual:
http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/zablocki_SabreFencing.htm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Early Cutlass techniques?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: