Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knights History-Correct me if i'm wrong Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A crossbow from horse back... I tend to think of things as such;

I am armored and while my armor will protect me it is not full proof, The last thing I would do on horse back is to sit there and reload while the enemy is coming towards me.

I have Maces, Flails, Swords, Spears/lances, and if need be I'll have my esquires toss me a spear I could toss at the enemy.

Lastly, If I had a crossbow... I would use a single shot and throw it to the ground to draw a more so appropriate weapon to bash in the enemy. And Even though I am filthy rich (I am not, I meant as knight), I wouldn't want to throw a costly weapon such as a crossbow to the ground.

But seriously, I was wondering if there are any accounts of Dukes or Earls going through the Knighting process of starting out as a page or what/not. I would love to share something of that sort with my audience. I had always thought that being a Duke or Earl would automatically make them a knight, just on a higher level, but I was once again wrong><

Also I was wondering this, Since using the term Fuedal system" is incorrect because every country had different ways of governing their people, by using the term vassalage to the appropriate places that did incorporate vassalage into their society; would that be correct to do? (Of course dependent on year and place)

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age

Last edited by Christopher VaughnStrever on Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Lastly, If I had a crossbow... I would use a single shot and throw it to the ground to draw a more so appropriate weapon to bash in the enemy. And Even though I am filthy rich, I wouldn't want to throw a costly weapon such as a crossbow to the ground.

I could see a mounted crossbowman using it as such in a skirmish/chevauchee/recon situation.

You are riding and raiding, see an enemy, loose a quarrel then ride away. Horse archers though would be far superior in this type of an action.

However, with no opposing horse archers, you have manuverability and a missile weapon, but you are not going to stick around even a skirmish action for long.

In Set piece battles, other than again in the initial skirmishing actions, I see little use while mounted.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ Gary and all others concerning crossbows

Quite simple, make the draw length longer by using a crossbow with a longer draw length on horseback and one of the rare hook and tackle systems that doubles the draw length. So you can use quite a powerful weapon from horseback with as much difficulty as a horse archer. An intermediate between bow and crossbow (also used as such in the Levantine navies) is the arrow guide that was explicitly used by horse archers against other horse archers.
I also mentioned Nicole and his mentioning of a special Spanish belt and hook on the shoulder for mounted crossbowmen (it probably belongs to a crossbow with a longer draw length and a weaker draw weight), but it's clearly designed for mounted use and could be used even when the horse moves at a fast pace.

We can keep that an endless discussion. There is no evidence whatsoever that mounted crossbowmen in Europe dismounted to shoot, although that would be a perfectly reasonable move, also done by Asian horse archers. Why? Well it gave you a secure platform for long distance shooting, more precise shooting, faster shooting and it rested your horse. So we should also look at the misconceptions of horse archers. We do have evidence that crossbows were used on horseback to shoot by light and heavy armed men. We have no idea from the depictions whether or not they were able to reload. Any claim on that is wishful thinking. We can see that it was possible to shoot backwards and forwards with a crossbow while on horseback and the most important part of the crossbow, hold your fire and threaten the enemy until you have a good opportunity to strike.Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask the guy who wrote about the Stradiots in the Italian army featured article because they are mentioned as also using crossbows and being mounted.

Concerning mounted longbowmen, there's one report of archers crossing a ford and fighting crossbowmen during the crossing. It's possible that this was done from horseback. Another convenient use of longbows from horseback would be raiding, that was usually done in lighter armour and that also offers itself to using light crossbows from horseback that can help very much to threaten people into giving you their belongings plus penetrating light counter-raiders armour. But if there was use of longbows from horseback is speculation. My claim is just, that it's feasible (and if you can shoot forwards, you can also do a Parthian shot in a similar position.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
make the draw length longer by using a crossbow with a longer draw length on horseback and one of the rare hook and tackle systems that doubles the draw length.

Kurt, I am unfamiliar with a system like this in the middle ages that increases draw length. Draw weight, yes, but not familiar with something that increases draw length. Do you have an example?

Quote:
I also mentioned Nicole and his mentioning of a special Spanish belt and hook on the shoulder for mounted crossbowmen (it probably belongs to a crossbow with a longer draw length and a weaker draw weight), but it's clearly designed for mounted use and could be used even when the horse moves at a fast pace.

It's going to increase the ability to draw the bow back, but even on horse it's going to be tough to draw a real heavy draw bow. Even tougher if moving. A foot crossbowman could theoretically draw a bow while running - but it's a bad idea to try.

Quote:
So we should also look at the misconceptions of horse archers.

What misconceptions?

Here is an article by somone who backs what you say to a point - however, he points out similar limitations to mounted crossbowmen:

Quote:
In any case, though the crossbow could be used and theoretically even loaded from the back of a moving horse, the reloading process remained a rather awkward and slow operation best done at the halt. This limitation prevented mounted crossbowmen from becoming a Western European equivalent to the horse archer. Far from rendering them useless, though, the inability to match the missile power of the Eastern archers appears to have spurred the crossbowmen to seek a different path of evolution by capitalizing on their relative advantages vis-a-vis the horse archer. One such advantage was the fact that the crossbow's operation was not significantly hampered by heavy armor, so the mounted crossbowman was free to acquire more and more armor as time passed without substantially compromising his ability to shoot. Another important feature was the close integration of mounted crossbowmen with men-at-arms--the crossbowmen didn't seem to have conducted any large-scale operations (beyond patrols and scouting expeditions by small parties) independently away from the associated formations of men-at-arms, and in the end the men-at-arms' style of heavy cavalry fighting seems to have rubbed off on the mounted crossbowmen. This trend was particularly apparent in Germany, where mounted crossbowmen closely accompanied and supported their men-at-arms, shooting in the men-at-arms assault and even joining in the charge once they had disrupted the enemy (or tried to) with their bolts. Indeed, some German tactical manuals from the second half of the 15th century explicitly spelled out the (otherwise commonsense) idea that the heavily-armored crossbowmen should shoot only once and then charge without reloading, preferably hitting the enemy's flank at roughly the same time that the men-at-arms impacted the front. The same paradigm was applied to mounted handgunners who differed only in that their weapons were slightly more powerful and much more difficult to reload on horseback than late-medieval horsemen's crossbows.

http://l-clausewitz.livejournal.com/504709.html

Last edited by Gary Teuscher on Tue 13 Sep, 2011 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Concerning mounted longbowmen, there's one report of archers crossing a ford and fighting crossbowmen during the crossing. It's possible that this was done from horseback.

It's possible it was done from camelback as well, though I'd lean to much more of it occurring on foot.
William P

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:
regular archers and crossbowmen givn abit of riding skills could have been used in the same way.

Well, I guess it's possible they COULD have been used in this manner. But if this were the case, there would be accounts of the English Lonbowmen at Crecy and Agincourt using them mounted, and to the best of my knowledge we don''t have pictorial or literary evidence of them using them in this fashion. But we DO have pictorial and literary evidence of them using them afoot.

Why not use them in this fashion - Well for Longbowmen

1) Your formation will not be as dense (horses take up more room than men) so your density of fire will not be as great.
2) You present a larger target to opposing archers, and and unarmoured target
3) An arrow that hits a horse will could make the horse bolt or other similar things, disputing more of the formation with only one arrow
4) While a longbow perhaps CAN be used on horse, it is not designed to be. The rate of fire and accuracy would likley decrease, decrease also if the horse moves at all, which it is likley to do in such situations.

A mounted crossbowman would have similar issues. The other issue for a crossbow - Crossbows are often mentioned as one foot or two foot, the best interpretation is not of length but of how many feet were placed in the "stirrup" of the bow when drawing back. Could be belt claw, cord and pully, etc. Cranequin and similar device crossbows were spanned differently.

So the problem is you are not going to use a draw of a similar weight as a footman's crowwbow with most crossbows, so you lose one of the strengths of the crossbow - it's draw weight and pentetrating power.

What do you gain - The ability to run from footmen. But longbows would be very difficult to use in Turkish fashion, firing behind while withdrawing. And a crossbow would be pretty near impossible to span while on the run, even lighter draw corssbows would be best drawn at the standstill.

Turkish horse archers had similar drawbacks listed above - but the bow is more compact (for a reason I might add) allowing it to be used better on horse, particularily on the move.

And the tactics used by horse archers were different than the European bowmen tactics.

i wasnt thinking of them either shooting while moving at a gallop, OR shooting in the saddle in a set piece battle like the longbowmen normally would do on foot. . i was thinking more as an intermediate, a compromise between foot and horse archers. they shoot like foot archers but can high tail it like horse archers.
this is more a hypothetical idea, im not suggesting it aactually happened mind you...
it might have but i have next to no idea either way
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:

The leidang regulations and theoretical treaties on what's effective against the Mongols. Plus the third image http://www.swco.ttu.edu/medieval/Coronado.html and of course Thalhofer's fencing manual on mounted combat.

Ehum, as far as I know the Scandinavians never fought the Mongols...? Neither do the leidang/ledung regulations call for mounted crossbowmen. Although the late 13th century Norwegian Hirdskraa specifies "a bow or a crossbow" for the Skutilsvein or squire, there is no evidence of that being used on horseback.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing, Mikael.

I thought though perhaps the term Leidang could have been used by the Rus?
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
Kurt Scholz wrote:

The leidang regulations and theoretical treaties on what's effective against the Mongols. Plus the third image http://www.swco.ttu.edu/medieval/Coronado.html and of course Thalhofer's fencing manual on mounted combat.

Ehum, as far as I know the Scandinavians never fought the Mongols...? Neither do the leidang/ledung regulations call for mounted crossbowmen. Although the late 13th century Norwegian Hirdskraa specifies "a bow or a crossbow" for the Skutilsvein or squire, there is no evidence of that being used on horseback.

Maybe we don't have the same regulation, but this very man also needed a horse and a hauberk.

@Gary

Can you show a single primary source that makes it clear that mounted crossbowmen acted as mounted infantry?
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you show a single primary source that makes it clear that mounted crossbowmen acted as mounted infantry?

An exact period source would be tough, that is finding something that specifically says the crossbowmen dismounted for combat.

Similar to Saxon Huscarls - we know they had horses, we know they fought dismounted. But I don't believe there is a period source that specifically mentions them dismounting for combat. Probably because it was considered the normal ordinary manner in which they fought at a battle, dismounted.

We do know from the 13th or 14th century document (I forget the exact name, but it's a commonly referenced document) that crossbowmen received a higher rate of pay if they had a horse.

We also know that there were thousands of Italian (and others)crossbowmen at Crecy. There is no mention of any of these fighting mounted, but plenty of mention of them on foot.

Logically, one of two things are the case -

1) All of these crossbowmen were not mounted, and were the ones receiving lesser pay (highly doubtful), or

2) These mounted crossbowmen dismounted for combat.

Or, it could possibly be that there were mounted crossbowmen at Crecy, but there was no reference to them.

#2 appears to be the most logical assumption.

Now, if anyone had a period source that mentions a percentage of Genoese crossbowmen that DID have a mount, this pretty well amswers the question that they fought dismounted, thuogh I think from above it's pretty clear that they did fight on foot, though there is not a specific reference to them dismounting for battle.
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:

Maybe we don't have the same regulation, but this very man also needed a horse and a hauberk.

True, unfortunately though we don't know whether or not the bow/crossbow was supposed to be used on horseback. The best guess in my opinion is that they relied on their missile weapons for siege warfare and/or at sea. Mounted combat played a minor role in medieval Norwegian warfare, so I would be surprised if there was evidence for mounted archers and crossbowmen being used there. It can't be ruled out of course but I find it rather unlikely.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Mounted combat played a minor role in medieval Norwegian warfare,

And (foot) archery played a big role in Norwegian warfare in the middle ages. As a matter of fact, they used a bow that from the finds we have was similar in length and draw to the famed English Longbow.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:

An exact period source would be tough, that is finding something that specifically says the crossbowmen dismounted for combat.

Similar to Saxon Huscarls - we know they had horses, we know they fought dismounted. But I don't believe there is a period source that specifically mentions them dismounting for combat. Probably because it was considered the normal ordinary manner in which they fought at a battle, dismounted.

We do know from the 13th or 14th century document (I forget the exact name, but it's a commonly referenced document) that crossbowmen received a higher rate of pay if they had a horse.

We also know that there were thousands of Italian (and others)crossbowmen at Crecy. There is no mention of any of these fighting mounted, but plenty of mention of them on foot.

Logically, one of two things are the case -

1) All of these crossbowmen were not mounted, and were the ones receiving lesser pay (highly doubtful), or

2) These mounted crossbowmen dismounted for combat.

Or, it could possibly be that there were mounted crossbowmen at Crecy, but there was no reference to them.

#2 appears to be the most logical assumption.

Now, if anyone had a period source that mentions a percentage of Genoese crossbowmen that DID have a mount, this pretty well amswers the question that they fought dismounted, thuogh I think from above it's pretty clear that they did fight on foot, though there is not a specific reference to them dismounting for battle.

@ Gary & Mikael

please rethink your argument. There's no such source, it's all guesswork about them dismounting. As such, it's not a fact, but an opinion that they dismounted. Of course, such an opinion can be based on reasoning, but it's not evidence based, and this reasoning can be accepted by lots of people, but it's not a sourced fact.
What we do have is sources showing men on horses shooting crossbows. We have no idea how frequent that was, but it happened and is an established fact.
When I have more time, I'll go and check China, because they were also great crossbow fans, but I'm certain that they for example shot mounted because during the Warring States to Han Period their crossbows had a very long draw length, like bows and they don't seem to have made a distinction between prod and bow.
In the West it's taken for certain that the crossbow started as a siege(gastraphetes) and hunting weapon, also with a long draw length. So the early or light crossbows could very likely be used on horseback just like bows. The Medieval development was towards shorter draw lengths and lots of mechanical aids to master the power required. I don't know which of these aids could be used under which circumstances on horseback (except the shoulder belt and hook mentioned by David Nicole for Spain).
There's always the implied reasoning that a crossbowman couldn't act on horseback like a true horse archer with or without an arrow glide. So I ask the question what if crossbowmen didn't replace archers on horseback but javelineers? As such they provided more ammunition for the same weight and it was rather about precision and penetration than shooting in quick succession. That could mean that they took for example loaded crossbows from a servant on foot, rode forward, shot with great precision at a close distance and went back for another round. Such a mode of combat would be similar to lancers getting fresh lances for their charges, but outrange all staff weapons. That brings me back to the Stradiots, like cavalry that started with javelins and switched to crossbows.

extra @Mikael
I agree that having a horse, a hauberk and a crossbow doesn't necessarily make you someone who uses a crossbow on horseback. But it combines the three elements heavy mounted crossbowman. If this man decidces to fight on foot, he is mounted infantry and yes, because he has a "spear" he can act like all other heavy mounted men, but that combination makes him still a mounted crossbowman. We just like information on what he did with that crossbow.

Can we agree on these proposition?
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no such source, it's all guesswork about them dismounting.

Well, I'd throw some logic in there, it's not just guesswork.

As far as asking for a period source asking for something showing they dismounted to fight - one could make a similar argument as I said above for the Mounted Huscarl. We know they were equipped with horses. We also know they fought on foot. However, one could say "where is a period source does it mention a Huscarl dimounting to fight?" - and take that as eveidnce, or a lack thereof actually, that they fought on foot, and must have been cavalry.

Quote:
In the West it's taken for certain that the crossbow started as a siege(gastraphetes) and hunting weapon, also with a long draw length. So the early or light crossbows could very likely be used on horseback just like bows.

I don't think from period illustrations (what there are of them) that the crossbows was a version of the greek belly bow. As a matter of fact, we have very little to go on as to what early crossbows were.

This is guesswork on your part, if you are going to adhere to needing "proof" to make a statement, please hold to such with regard to your own statements as well.

Now, logic would say that for a crossbow to be an effective military weapon, it would need at least similar hitting power to selfbows of the time. To have that, they either need a very heavy draw, or a real long drawlength, which makes for a very cumbersome weapon to use on horse. In my opinion, for a crossbowman to use it mounted, you either need the later short drawn bows with a device to span it that works on horse, or a lighter crossbow, in actuality probably both.

Now, I grant you there are some examples of mounted crossbowmen probably using the bow mounted. I do like your analogy of being similar to a javelin user, not a horse archer. This is how I would see them function. They would either use a crossbow the weight and draw of a heavier infantry one, and dismount to reload, or use a somewhat lighter version, and be able to reload mounted with perhaps the shoulder hook/claw you mention, but they would probably have to be not moving to do this effectively. The disadvantage over javelin armed cavalry is they usally carry a handful of javelins that are easier to use repeatedly without having to withdraw.

I'd see eiother caracole tactics, similar to what javelin armed infantry used, or they could also charge the flanks/rear of an engaged infantry unit, much again like javelin armed cavalry. Caracole would have been effective against pike armed infantry of the later middle ages, but it would be suicide for them going against infantry archers (unless they engaged in melee) or true horse archers.

But I think most of this is the later middle ages, maybe after 1400 AD.

There are a few reasons I do not see this happening earlier.

1) I think the devices to relaod a heavy (though small and short of draw) crossbow were not in use prior to this, I can show you some illustrations of loading devices being used and how they would be extremely difficult to use mounted.

2) There are really no pictorial or other references of crossbows being used prior to about this time

3) There is the issue of the bolt staying in place on a moving horse - I think we do not see any mechanisms used to keep the bolt in place until about the 15th century.

4) We have records of crossbowmen being paid more if mounted, I believe the 13th century. However, all period descriptions, pictorial and otherwise indicate the crossbows being used on foot.. There were thousands of crossbowmen at Crecy - I don't think there is a mention of a single one of them using the crossbow mounted. We also have the thousands of english longbowmen that were mounted in various battles of the 100 years war - and yet they are always portrayed fighting on foot. They may ride after routers after the battle is over and use a mace, sword, etc., but their function as archers was done on foot.

So I guess my thoughts are there were crossbowmen with mounts from the 13th century, and probably before. However, until 1400 or so, give or take a few decades, they performed their combat role on foot. When we get to the later period, there were true mounted crossbowmen, though some may have been merely mounted infantry, but there were some uses of crossbows on horseback.

How effective they were is questionable, but they most likley functioned as javelin armed horsemen on the battlefield, caracole against stationary or slow moving heavy infantry (not missile infantry), and could charge skirmish or very poor quality infantry from the front after loosing bolts, but against heavier/stronger units they were best served attacking from the flanks or rear.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:
There's no such source, it's all guesswork about them dismounting.

Well, I'd throw some logic in there, it's not just guesswork.

As far as asking for a period source asking for something showing they dismounted to fight - one could make a similar argument as I said above for the Mounted Huscarl. We know they were equipped with horses. We also know they fought on foot. However, one could say "where is a period source does it mention a Huscarl dimounting to fight?" - and take that as eveidnce, or a lack thereof actually, that they fought on foot, and must have been cavalry.

That's twisted logic. We have specifications that a very specific type of soldier fought on foot and had a horse, the huscarls. We don't have this detail on mounted crossbowmen. All we have are images showing men with crossbows on horseback in fighting contexts. Acknowledge the evidence first, develop theories afterwards and don't try to fit or ignore evidence into a preconceived theory based on your assumption that it's impossible to use mechanical devices to load a crossbow on horseback.

Gary Teuscher wrote:

Quote:
In the West it's taken for certain that the crossbow started as a siege(gastraphetes) and hunting weapon, also with a long draw length. So the early or light crossbows could very likely be used on horseback just like bows.

I don't think from period illustrations (what there are of them) that the crossbows was a version of the greek belly bow. As a matter of fact, we have very little to go on as to what early crossbows were.

Just look at the crossbows at Trajan's column.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Just look at the crossbows at Trajan's column.

First, this is 3rd century AD, not sure if that has much bearing on 11th century and later european crossbows. Show me something at least a bit more current. And a ballista, by nature, is not quite the same as a crossbow. Similar style to a point yes, but it's not the same thing.

Quote:
We have specifications that a very specific type of soldier fought on foot and had a horse, the huscarls.

How do we know that some of them did not fight mounted? any period sources of them dismounting? I am merely pointing out the fact that your question, "Do we see mounted crossbowmen loosing crossbows while dismounted"? Is a loaded question. We see plenty of crossbowmen on foot loosing bolts. Many of these where heavy armour (mail or better). Very many of these crossbowmen probably had mounts - but unless the mount is shown in the picture, it's impossible to say one way or another whether these crossbowmen were infantry or mounted infantry. The military musters and wages of the time clearly indicate a crossbowman was paid more if he had a horse - but there are no pictorial or literary records of these corssbowmen with horses using their crossbows mounted prior to about 1400 AD.

As a comparison, how many illustrations do we have of Saxon Huscarls with their horse? Yet we know they were mounted for strategic purposes at least.

Quote:
We don't have this detail on mounted crossbowmen. All we have are images showing men with crossbows on horseback in fighting contexts.

Show me any evidence of european crossbowmen using their crossbows mounted prior to the 14th century. we know some of them had horses then - I see no evidence that indicates they fought mounted at this time.

Quote:
Acknowledge the evidence first, develop theories afterwards and don't try to fit or ignore evidence into a preconceived theory based on your assumption that it's impossible to use mechanical devices to load a crossbow on horseback.

I have acknowledged the evidence. If you read my full post, you will see that I believe there were some mounted crossbow units in the late middle ages that used their bows mounted.

I see no evidence of this prior to about 1400 or so. Do you? If there are not, the "evidence" would point to crossbowmen not using their crossbows while mounted.

I acknowledged the "evidence", and from that drew my conclusions, that in the later middle ages, there were some true mounted crossbowmen, but that at about the time of Crecy and before, the crossbowmen that had mounts would have rarely used their crossbows mounted, possibly in a skirmish situation.

I don't think the "evidence" points against this, as a matter of fact I think it points To that point, that prior to 1400 or so crossbowmen did not use their crossbows while of horse.

I think there were advances in the technology of crossbows in this later period of time that make a mounted crossbowman more feasible, using the weapon while of horse. Do you disagree?
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not based on historical proof but just speculation about the different ways a mounted crossbowman could be used compared to a true horse archer.

Lets first assume that the true horse archer would normally shoot on the move and often closing to just out of reach of infantry before loosing their arrows.

Long range volleys are also possible but then no true advantage compared to infantry archers except as to getting more quickly from shooting position to shooting position.

The Parthian shot is useful in harassing a pursuing enemy that one has motivated to chase the horse archers, and often a tactic meant to exhaust an enemy by doing it repeatedly or leading them into ambush.

General scouting, skirmishing and harassing tactics for horse archers.

For mounted crossbowmen all of the tactical usage mentioned in the last few posts seem possible or probable and a lot depends on how easily they could shoot and maybe reload from horseback, but I would suggest another tactic being to move to position but only shoot from the saddle with the horse not moving. Wink

Move, take a position and do some precision shooting from the horse's back or dismount for maximum accuracy or to shoot multiple times.

The power and ease of reloading of the type of crossbow used would determine if shooting on the move, shooting for the saddle but not moving or having to dismount if more than one shot was intended.

In other words the mounted crossbowman is like a mounted sniper with the option of fighting as infantry ( Dragoons ) while the horse archer is more of a mounted skirmisher and a true form of cavalry.

Anyway, in " My Fantasy World " this is how I would use mounted crossbowmen using light or medium power crossbows that can be reloaded from horseback at least in a slow " caracole " style rather than shooting at the gallop at a fast rate of fire like the horse archer.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's be clear. We don't have evidence for crossbowmen with horses fighting mounted or dismounted before the Late Middle Ages. No sources, no evidence. We can say it was possible and we can say doing so wouldn't be dissimilar to the one way use of lances if loading on horseback was a problem (there are enough servants in the records for this task). Note that in the Late Medieval illustrations mounted crossbowmen and lancers are shown as two options of mounted combat fighting each other. What we have for earlier dates for example are administrative records combining horse, heavy armour and crossbow among other things, but they give us no clue on their tactical use.
I suggest you delete dragoon from the vocabulary of the discussion, because how much mounted infantry they were is another complex topic and they have different weapons as well as no history making them clear descendants of mounted crossbowmen. For what you want to say zumbooruck would be more appropriate because they have a link to earlier use of crossbows and later records of dismounting to use firearms. But let's just call them mounted crossbowmen and say they could act as mounted infantry, but they could also ride around and threaten people with their loaded crossbows.
I have to look at some administrative records again, but I think, we have the numbers in High Medieval Armies of close combat fighters on foot and archers on foot, as well as mounted close combat fighters and crossbowmen. The proportions between the close combat and ranged combat specialist on foot and on horseback are very similar. So I wouldn't rule out that the mounted crossbowmen could play a similar support role for the mounted close combat troops as the archers(including crossbowmen) did on foot. Of course, that's highly speculative. However, I hope I have clearly established, that whatever the loading difficulties of a crossbow on horseback, you could use it like a lance (or throwing spear such as the Norman cavalry at Hastings). That makes it possible to integrate mounted crossbowmen into the tactical system of charges by lancers. Theoretically, I see two options, making holes into an enemy formation before the clash with lances and covering the retreat against enemies trying to follow not in thight formation. Another use within such a system could be riding around and shooting people as part of fake charges and keeping the enemy ranged combat troops at bay if they try to skirmish.
I hope we can all agree on Jean's statement that the tactical role of mounted crossbowmen depended very much on the loading difficulties. To really make progress in this field, we need reliable sources of field testing methods to achieve that end. Otherwise it's too speculative in my opinion.
Most certainly I wouldn't disagree that it was a good idea to ride somewhere with your crossbow, dismount and shoot people and ride away when a superior force tried to clear you. In a way, his horse could make a crossbowman more "cocky" and thus deadlier. So yes, they definetly could act as mounted infantry, but the horse archers also did just that (Islamic sources from the crusades metion that tactic). It's quite simple to understand, the horse can't stand as still as the ground.

I suggest we end this mounted crossbowmen discussion (because we have only nuances of differing opinions and it seems unlikely we convince each other of anything) and refocus on knights. While we're at mounted and dismounted combat, we can also discuss why knights and other memebers of the heavy cavalry also decided to fight dismounted.
William P

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Not based on historical proof but just speculation about the different ways a mounted crossbowman could be used compared to a true horse archer.

Lets first assume that the true horse archer would normally shoot on the move and often closing to just out of reach of infantry before loosing their arrows.

Long range volleys are also possible but then no true advantage compared to infantry archers except as to getting more quickly from shooting position to shooting position.

The Parthian shot is useful in harassing a pursuing enemy that one has motivated to chase the horse archers, and often a tactic meant to exhaust an enemy by doing it repeatedly or leading them into ambush.

General scouting, skirmishing and harassing tactics for horse archers.

For mounted crossbowmen all of the tactical usage mentioned in the last few posts seem possible or probable and a lot depends on how easily they could shoot and maybe reload from horseback, but I would suggest another tactic being to move to position but only shoot from the saddle with the horse not moving. Wink

Move, take a position and do some precision shooting from the horse's back or dismount for maximum accuracy or to shoot multiple times.

The power and ease of reloading of the type of crossbow used would determine if shooting on the move, shooting for the saddle but not moving or having to dismount if more than one shot was intended.

In other words the mounted crossbowman is like a mounted sniper with the option of fighting as infantry ( Dragoons ) while the horse archer is more of a mounted skirmisher and a true form of cavalry.

Anyway, in " My Fantasy World " this is how I would use mounted crossbowmen using light or medium power crossbows that can be reloaded from horseback at least in a slow " caracole " style rather than shooting at the gallop at a fast rate of fire like the horse archer.

hey, i said that as well regarding crossbowman ( and longbowmen) galloping, stopping , shooting while stationary, then running off again.

and while games arnt history
one thing i noticed about cavalry that used weapons on horseback, , kalmuks carabiners horse archers
is a very peculier thing comparing them to medieval 2/ rome total war, to empire total war, and the reason is this,
in the older period games, rome and medieval, horse archers can shoot at an enemy without having to noticably about face, and can shoot while moving at an enemy sideways, and even thats behind them,
in empire, they introduce the idea of a 'field of fire' its essentially a area that extends out from the body of the troop and slightly outwards, and they will shoot at an enemy that enters this zone, if an enemy is just sitting behind them occasionally a solder on the flank will take a shot or two, but not usually, they could sit there motionless while an enemy plows into their rear, and to attack someone initially behind them they have to about face,

this 'zone of fire' is also present for cavalry, so when galloping, they cannot simply ride alongside a formation of men and do a 'drive by' style volley, including the few horse archers thata are included, (though they are made to be utterly useless, with a ridiculously slow rate of fire, and against unarmoured pikemen are also very innacurate and have trouble killing a decent number, )

i noticed that my tactics changed dramatically as a result of this, in medieval 2, it wasnt uncommon to have an army devoid of any infantry, composed of about 70% horse bowmen, because of their all directions-fire-while-you-gallop feature where you could just whittle opponents down and not let them catch you, and it workss.. provided they dont have too mixed a force, though ii often have SOME lancers to help rout the enemy horse archers and heavy cavalry that usually draw themseelves away from the main army body, then the infantry get ground down piecemeal.

in empire, you can only fire at whats in front of you pretty much run at th opponents side (try running at the front of a musketeer line when your carbine has the same range as the musket, its suicidal). get in range, shoot, stop them before they collide with the enemy and get chewed to pieces, and then make them run again in the opposite direction
so its impossible to do the same tactics displayed in medieval and rome total war of passing by an enemy formation having the men take shots sideways and then continuing along as normal.
in empire this is impossible

they arnt useless in empire though admittedly the increased chance of friendly fire as a result of the ends of two lines overlapping (even though a formation of light dragoons 4 ranks deep have no trouble shooting all at once a t full gallop without hitting each other, but i digress, ) as much as anything has limited my use of ranged cavalry, the fact that EVERY infantryman is ranged in that game doesnt help either,
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:

I suggest we end this mounted crossbowmen discussion (because we have only nuances of differing opinions and it seems unlikely we convince each other of anything) and refocus on knights. While we're at mounted and dismounted combat, we can also discuss why knights and other memebers of the heavy cavalry also decided to fight dismounted.

( Bold highlighting not in the original quote )

I agree that it's totally speculative and is only interesting when discussion theoretical tactical usage rather than trying to make a point about historical usage. Big Grin Cool ( Note, priorities differ at times in these discussions, although I obviously am interested in History, my personal " obsessions " tend towards military tactics and weapon usage, often in the abstract and not 100% related to actual History ..... so a bit of apples & oranges and I completely appreciate your very logical post(s) but with history fully in mind. Big Grin Cool ).

Just to make a final type of use of crossbow or bow for cavalry would be as back up weapons that would be mostly carried and used if they had to defend themselves from horse archers in a defensive position: A force of heavy cavalry being harassed by horse archers, with their usual attack and retreat tactics, might better dismount and use precision shooting to counter horse archers i.e. chasing horse archers is futile with heavy cavalry, so don't even try, and take a defensive position, and force the horse archers to come to you ! Much better than trying to defend from missile attack without any way to reply in kind or futily trying to chase them down using lance or sword. Wink Question

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knights History-Correct me if i'm wrong
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: