PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man,
I've noticed the shift in MRL too, but I have to echo the party line here,
sadly for me the fantasy stuff seems to resonate with more people
than the historic pieces. Friends who are not as swept up in the
historic as am I seem to gravitate to the fantasy section when perusing
my MRL catalogues. It bothers me but hey, you can't blame a business if
if they run with what sells. Still, it rankles that something like the Towton
might be discontinued in favor of Frodo's Ninja Batwing sword.

Doug G.
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man,
I've noticed the shift in MRL too, but I have to echo the party line here,
sadly for me the fantasy stuff seems to resonate with more people
than the historic pieces. Friends who are not as swept up in the
historic as am I seem to gravitate to the fantasy section when perusing
my MRL catalogues. It bothers me but hey, you can't blame a business if
if they run with what sells. Still, it rankles that something like the Towton
might be discontinued in favor of Frodo's Ninja Batwing sword.

Doug G.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Justice wrote:
Well, despite having a huge fantasy collection, they still have the largest historical collection too. Saying they have too many fantasy pieces is one thing, but just because they don't come out with a half dozen new offers every catalogue doesn't mean they don't already have an enormous historical collection. I mean, Albion doesn't have rapiers or basket hilts, but nonetheless they have an outstanding collection. Arms and Armor has many varied styles, but very few design among each sword type (like having only one viking).

Well Aaron,

my point was not that the collection of MRL is small but that it is shrinking, and at a disturbing pace. Few weeks back at lest the war sword and the Higgins sword were on their web page.......now they are gone. There is difference between not coming up with new models every week and discontinuing models by the dozens. As I acknowledged earlier I do understand their financial drive do do what they are doing, but it is frustrating. On three (3) separate occasions I put an order for something that was called "english partizan" only to get an e-mail within a day saying that the item has been discontinued and it will be removed from the respective web page. One of these websites was MRL, the others were distributors of Windlass products as well.
Having the dough and not being able to purchase something is orders of magnitude more irritating than liking something and not being able to afford it.

I do agree that MRL has a relatively large and diverse selection, bur intsed of seeing it shrink, I'd rather see it get improved (not only in terms of variety but also in terms of quality).

Alexi
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Higgins Armoury Sword         Reply with quote

[quote="Alexi Goranov"]Am I dreaming or did MRL take down the Higgins Armoury Sword...
/quote]

MRL's catalog #81 (the one that just came out is #82) had the Higgins Armoury Sword on closeout for $165. You never know. Call and ask - they may still have it available.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally reveived my copy of the new catalog. Noticed another sword that's vanished without warning
the Blackened Schiavona.....poof...gone........

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Finally reveived my copy of the new catalog. Noticed another sword that's vanished without warning
the Blackened Schiavona.....poof...gone........

Bill

From the review on this website I doubt we'll be missing anything Wink

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got the new MRL catalogue in the mail today, and there are a few new pieces. One, the Vereuil sword (on the inside cover), features a "slightly hollow ground blade." With their Boromir sword, the Mercenary, that makes 2 hollow-ground swords in their lineup. They also have a new longsword and and a new dagger/cinquedea/shortsword.

Interesting looking to say the least.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally quite like the looks of the Long Sword (as they named it). The other new pieces are not bad to look at either (imho)...
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Rheinfelden sword that disappeared after cat.# 79, anybody handled one? saw one on e-bay, thought I'd dig 'round for a little more info about it.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Bill and others: Here's a site with good prices on Windlass pieces--including some no longer in MRL's catalog. Notice that this link is to page 2 of 2 Windlass medieval swords. Bill, take special note of that second model Schiavona for $189. Great Windlass bargains on their sale page, too--Guingate, two-hand, etc. CASI stuff, too. Over $200 off damascus Wm. Marshall!

http://www.medieval-weaponry.com/index.asp?Pa...amp;Page=2

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an observation and heads up on more MRL MIA. It seems that MRL does a couple of different lay-outs for the same catalog #. Got my #85 cat. the other day and noticed the "Eye of Balor" is no longer shown. While at a relaitves house over the week-end notice they had a copy of #85 as well and just browsed through. Found some items on different pages and the Falchion, Eyel of Balor and most of the LOTR swords missing from this version. Usually if they are no longer presented in the catalog, they've been dis-continued. So, if if anyone was/is wanting the Falchion (which received a decent review from Mr. Sean F.) you may wish to contact MRL and see if indeed, it has been dis-continued.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Eye of Balor
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/showpr...Position=5

and this falchion
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/showpr...Position=9

are still listed at MRL

That doesn't mean they won't soon be gone for good. There is an Eye of Balor currently in the SFI classifieds fwiw.

It's also good to note some of the obsure Windlass dealers that still have some old stock. The Flamberge two-hander and scalloped Fighting Two-handed sword are gone from MRL but www.silvermane.com lists them and some other MIAs. I notice the current big two-hander at MRL is a plain blade! The list of Windlass dealers has grown quite a bit.

It may be that the glow of Tolkien gold has run it's course and printing ads costs more than current profit in sales.

Cheers

GC
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E-replicas also carries some oddball (perphaps old stock) Windlass pieces you don't see too often. Happy
http://www.ereplicas.com/

Last edited by G. Scott H. on Tue 10 May, 2005 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Lindberg

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: E-Replicas         Reply with quote

I tried ordering something from them a while back, only to receive an e-mail saying that this website is no longer used, and directing me back to a more bland selection of current windlass 'stuff'
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: E-Replicas         Reply with quote

David Lindberg wrote:
I tried ordering something from them a while back, only to receive an e-mail saying that this website is no longer used, and directing me back to a more bland selection of current windlass 'stuff'

D'oh!!! I wish people would keep their websites up to date... Mad Too bad, they have some cool looking swords there.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently ordered a butt cap for a spear project from MRL. My CC was immediately charged and the item was supposedly shipped two weeks ago via parcel post. So far no butt cap, and no satisfaction from the apathetic woman on the other end of the phone at MRL. I'm starting to think I've been ripped off to the tune of $28.95. Thank goodness it wasn't a large purchase. It definitely makes me reconsider doing any business with MRL or Atlanta Cutlery in the future.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I recently ordered a butt cap for a spear project from MRL. My CC was immediately charged and the item was supposedly shipped two weeks ago via parcel post. So far no butt cap, and no satisfaction from the apathetic woman on the other end of the phone at MRL. I'm starting to think I've been ripped off to the tune of $28.95. Thank goodness it wasn't a large purchase. It definitely makes me reconsider doing any business with MRL or Atlanta Cutlery in the future.

Wow! Eek! I know parcel post is kinda slow sometimes, but nothing in two weeks?! WTF?! I, too, have engaged in some less-than-enthusiastic (on their part) communications with MRL. I'm not sure what their "deal" is, but I plan on making any future WS purchases from By The Sword.

$28.95! Eek! So, you've already spent most of the $30 I just recently sent you? I thought I told you not to spend it all in one place! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H wrote:
$28.95! Eek! So, you've already spent most of the $30 I just recently sent you? I thought I told you not to spend it all in one place! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Yep, that's exactly where that money was supposed to go, only I was expecting to get something in return.

I hope you're happy with the dagger, and I'm sure MRL is happy with my money. In most cases two out of three wouldn't be bad.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
G. Scott H wrote:

Yep, that's exactly where that money was supposed to go, only I was expecting to get something in return.

I hope you're happy with the dagger, and I'm sure MRL is happy with my money. In most cases two out of three wouldn't be bad.
I'll let you know when it gets here (you shipped it parcel post, didn't you? Mad Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ). On a serious note, even parcel post shouldn't take more than 7 or 8 days to arrive, the fact that it's been two weeks is indeed suspicious (heck, even media mail-slowest mail service known to man-usually doesn't take two weeks, in my experience. WTF?! ). Happy
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Didn't MRL used to have a pretty good reputation in the customer service department? When did that change?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > MRL MIA
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: