Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose         Reply with quote

I just received a new addition to my library.

Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose.

I've had this on pre-order for well over a year. It is an absolutely stunning two-volume hardcover book with a DVD included that includes a wealth of info on the Mary Rose.

I suggest this to anyone interested in arms and armour, archaeology, or specifically to British history. Get it while there are books left in this initial run. These sorts of titles often don't get reprinted and the prices skyrocket when they're only available on the used market.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you had a chance to read it yet?
May I ask what is included in the CD?

mackenzie
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
Have you had a chance to read it yet?
May I ask what is included in the CD?

mackenzie

I've only thumbed through it. It looks to be extremely comprehensive. I don't know what's on the disc yet.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got mine, too, after more than two years of waiting. Big Grin They honored the originally listed price of $67, shipped! I think the long delay and price increase may be explained by the expansion to two volumes, slipcase and CDR.

First impressions:
Surprised that this is two volumes in a slipcase
Amazed at the price. I would have expected to pay the set price for EACH volume from a European publisher.
This is incredibly detailed, technically. I'd say its a cross between Blood Red Roses, The Medieval Armour from Rhodes and The Great Warbow.
I skipped straight over volume 1, which deals with the guns, and focused on vol. 2 (other arms and armour).
I would have paid the set price for volume two alone. The amount of illustrated information on the daggers, swords, sheaths and scabbards alone is worth that price. I'm talking about technical drawings of what must be EVERY dagger hilt from the wreck, showing not only hilt profile but also section, with details of construction. There is a detailed description of the manufacture of a museum-quality reproduction bill, with step-by-step photos of the process and even a tool list! Bows, arrows.... the amount of detail is just overwhelming.

I really think this is a must-have for those interested in the period, especially those making reproduction arms and armour. Did you know about twisted mail construction? Me neither! Laughing Out Loud

I'll second what Nathan said about not waiting. I'd give this thing about zero chance for reprint. Given the prices for the MUCH simpler Medieval Armour from Rhodes, I wouldn't be surprised to see this set at $500-700 in ten years. The CDR is the wildcard here. It's an interactive technical appendix, and if it's as thorough as the printed volumes, it's bound to be passed around after this title is out of print. Haven't viewed it yet, though.

You just have to buy this title. Have to.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
William P

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

im sold.. hopefully the shipping to australia isnt too high,
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This could be an expensive month Happy

Then maybe not Amazon is currently sold out.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
Then maybe not Amazon is currently sold out.

Uh oh. That's not good.

Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my order confirmation at 12:32 MDT, Amazon was only showing 8 copies available when I loggged in and placed my order, when I logged off the site about 20 minutes later it was only 3, it looks like this one moved FAST! I sure hope I don't get the "sorry, unable to fill your order" email in a few days.
'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Got mine, too, after more than two years of waiting.

Looking at my records, I pre-ordered more than two years ago too (!) and also got locked into the lower price... well worth it!

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The news gets worse by the minute. Amazon.co.uk has it...:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weapons-Warre-Ordnanc...amp;sr=8-1

...but Americans will pay $173 + shipping! WTF?! That's $200! I'm not saying it's not worth it. It's actually about what I would have expected to pay for a two-volume technical study from a European press. I prefer the original $67, shipped!

Here's a case study of the arms and armour book market--Weapons of Warre was, for all practical purposes, sold out before it shipped.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazon.com now lists this title as "out of stock".
-Sean

Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Brown Book Co. has it listed at $80.

According to the website. 1000 pages. 2 volumes. 700 b/w photos. 16p color plates. Sounds like a fantastic deal.
I've spent my disposable income this month, otherwise I'd get it. (190 years beyond my period of interest though I do have a May 1983 National Geographic with an article on the Mary Rose; Henry VIII's lost warship. sitting on the bookshelf right next to me.)
-Terry
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to Nathan and Sean for the info and encouragement. I've just received my copy through an affiliate of Amazon here in UK - Book Depository - who claim to ship books all round the world. I had ordered twice from different affiliates of Amazon only to get the dreaded 'no longer available' message. But 3rd time lucky. I paid £100 (?$150) but it is worth it. So if anyone else is still searching, try B.D. or Foyles bookshop in London who claim to be the biggest in UK.
Neil

N Melville
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh. I ordered my copy on Amazon way after people here were saying it wasn't available. Amazon told me it was currently out of stock and would keep me updated, and then I received my copy a little over a week ago with no problems.

Mine, however, does not have a DVD. Perhaps this was only for the people who preordered?

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got my copy through a Swedish company and it had the DVd on the inside of the cover of the 2nd volume. The publisher (Oxbow Books) seems to have the book in stock in both it's UK & US websites and may be an alternative to Amazon.

The quality of the volumes printed in the "Archeology of the Mary Rose" series has always been very good but this time they seem to have gone a step further to produce a truly remarkable work. As others have remarked the sheer amount of information is almost overwhelming and it will take a long time digest all of it.

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news for Americans:

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/37746/mid/25164

THE DAVID BROWN BOOK COMPANY

All at Sea with DBBC

The long awaited and final volume in the Archaeology of the Mary Rose series has finally arrived. Weapons of Warre is devoted to consideration of the ordnance, munitions and equipment for war - the reason for the building of the Mary Rose. To celebrate the arrival of this great tome on our shores, we are offering $20 off the price of this 2-volume set, as well as discounts on all other available titles in this series. [note: I've left only the sale price on the listings below]

To accompany these, we have some other great bargains on maritime archaeology books, including John Bingeman’s The First HMS Invincible, which tells the story of a 74-gun warship that came to grief on 19th February 1758 off Portsmouth, England. The artefacts documented in this book are a goldmine for naval archaeologists and historians, providing a time capsule of equipment aboard a warship in the mid-18th century.

We also have a pre-publication offer on the forthcoming Oceans Odyssey 2, which presents the results of the discovery and archaeological survey of ten deep-water wrecks by Odyssey Marine Exploration. For those of you that missed the first one, we have also reduced Oceans Odyssey 1 to the same price.

These offers are only available until the end of August so get yourselves in ship shape and place your orders today!

Kind regards,

Hilary Schan
Marketing Manager

Weapons of Warre: The Ordnance of the Mary Rose
edited by Alexzandra Hildred
This volume is devoted to consideration of the ordnance, munitions and equipment for war - the raison d'être for the building of the Mary Rose. It begins with a full description of the guns, followed by discussion of the many objects that relate to their use: the shot, the gunpowder and the items needed for loading and firing, as well the experiments that have been carried out in the manufacture and use of specific gun types, ...
Hardback. US$80.00

Your Noblest Shippe: Anatomy of a Tudor Warship
edited by Peter Marsden
This volume is concerned primarily with a detailed description of the Mary Rose and how she operated as a functional warship. Commencing with a discussion of the place of the Mary Rose in the development of warships, her recovery and recording are described and the method by which she has been reconstructed on paper. Evidence is presented for how the ship was designed and built and how the timbers were fashioned. The structure of ...
Hardback. US$72.00

Sealed by Time: The Loss and Recovery of the Mary Rose
edited by Peter Marsden
Although the wreck of the Mary Rose was raised twenty years ago, the excavations and conservation work and indeed the ship itself have never been published in full. Now the Mary Rose Trust, with the Heritage Lottery Fund is publishing the complete history of the project and the research up to the present day in five highly illustrated volumes, revealing a wealth of information covering all aspects of the ship. Sealed by Time: The Loss ...
Hardback. US$28.00

For Future Generations: Conservation of a Tudor Maritime Collection, Mary Rose Volume Five
by Mark Jones
This volume focuses on the conservation program devised for the Mary Rose. It describes the principles and objectives of marine archaeological conservation, explains the work undertaken to conserve the hull and contents of the Mary Rose, and discusses the requirements for the display and storage of treated materials in the Mary Rose museum. The conservation program for the Mary Rose began even before the excavation had commenced, and has ...
Hardback. US$45.00
Paperback. US$35.00

-Sean

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is available through Amazon again for $73.80 and has free Super-Saver Shipping. I look forward to receiving my copy soon.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, the dagger section is going to make your head hurt there's so much info. I think I'm going to have to make a Mary Rose dagger, scabbard and by-knives. The sword scabbards are pretty amazing, too.
-Sean

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Chad, the dagger section is going to make your head hurt there's so much info. I think I'm going to have to make a Mary Rose dagger, scabbard and by-knives. The sword scabbards are pretty amazing, too.

I thumbed through Chris Poor's copy when I was at A&A last week and it is indeed amazing. Happy It's a bit after my period of interest, but I had a gift certificate for Amazon and figured this book might go out of print quickly, so I pounced.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, saw these at Tod's place. Now on it's way to me Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weapons of Warre: The Armaments of the Mary Rose
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: