Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 May, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. However, I must say that I don't care for such drills since beginning students (regardless of what you might tell them) could get the idea the drill represents a valid response to a cut.

Well, not my class, so not my choice. However, as Vincent points out, it is a common pedagogical tool for other types of swordsmanship, including those with a far more fragile blade. Wink And as I said, it was only one part of the exercise. However, Gilda, the photographer, had to shoot three concurrent classes each session, so she usually hit a class for 15 or 20 minutes and then moved on.

Greg
Eddie Smith

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't read all the posts on the subject but this is something worth putting up, I think, unless it is up already.

http://www.thearma.org/Videos/EdgeBashing1.htm

It is test cuts on sharps with sharps and the damage inherent in doing so. If I ever wasnt' sold on flat perries, this sells me, I don't want or think it necessary to damage a sword in such a way. Expecially since there are viable options for use which don't do this kind of damage.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eddie Smith wrote:
I didn't read all the posts on the subject but this is something worth putting up, I think, unless it is up already.

It is test cuts on sharps with sharps and the damage inherent in doing so. If I ever wasnt' sold on flat perries, this sells me, I don't want or think it necessary to damage a sword in such a way. Expecially since there are viable options for use which don't do this kind of damage.

This link has already been posted and the merits of the video discussed. There is value is reading all of what's been posted before making a reply. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eddie Smith wrote:

Eddie,

This video has been well discussed - read my last two posts, if nothing else - and this was part of the "strawman" I'm talking about. No one is discussing anything remotely like this.

Greg
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Eddie Smith wrote:

Eddie,

This video has been well discussed - read my last two posts, if nothing else - and this was part of the "strawman" I'm talking about. No one is discussing anything remotely like this.

Greg

No, you are absolutely wrong about this being a strawman arguement. What we have been discussing is exactly what is shown in the video. Just because you and Christian don't like what the video shows does not make the video a strawman. The video clearly shows what happens when two thin metal blades impact at high speed. The results shown in the video are governed by the Laws of Physics. Unless you can show that the Laws of Physics are somehow different for metal blades when held by you, Christian, and your students as oppose to when they are held by Guy Windsor, John Clements, ARMA members, and the rest of the known universe, past and present, then you arguement holds absolutely no water!

Guy Windsor wrote:
something else training with sharps teaches you is the damage contact does to the edges; much of my opinion about how to parry with a longsword is designed to save your edge; hitting his flat doesn't damage your edge nearly so much

Might we ask what arguements you have against Guy Windsor's comments. It is extremely clear that Guy experienced enough edge damage using sharp blades that he modified how he performs a parry. It is clear that Guy motivation was to save his edges. It is clear that Guy fully understands that hitting his edge on the flat of the other blade does not cause anywhere near the damage as does hitting his edge against the edge of the other blade. Please note that Guy's comments are not being used out of context nor is this a strawman.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I believe this thread has now run its course. No new info has been presented in quite a while and now the various groups involved are attacking each other. The inability for people to stay civil and respectful has pushed this over the edge.

Against what we like to do here, I'm going to lock this down until people have a chance to cool off. Down the road, we'll decide whether or not to reopen it.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…"
Page 12 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: