Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next 
Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just as an aside... Iron Gate is not a leg parry. It is never illustrated as such, or mentioned in that regard by Fiore (I don't know about other Masters). The only action prescribed by Fiore against a leg strike is the high cut to the head with a slip/void of the leg.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...and Schranckhut is generally used to offer an opening, not create cover.

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never said these were parries. I said they were guards and as such they close off a line of attack. They do this because if you strike to that opening, you won't get to the person because the sword effectively covers the opening. So if you stand in your guard and recieve a blow to the opening which that guard covers, that would equate to a "hard stop parry," not that this is the best thing to do. I am just answering the question.

Fiore is not the only one who mentions iron door and offering a opening is not the only use of schranckhut. Offering an opening is a description that might be applicable to many of the wards. Actually, I think of schranckhut as much more defensive minded.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Stephen Hand

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't want to get into this pointless argument again as arguing with people who have a fixed position and will not deviate from it is tiresome and rather pointless. However, as my name has been brought up several times I will make one post for the benefit of those whose mind is open on the subject.

I will begin by picking up on a few comments made earlier in the thread.

Randall Pleasant made the comment

"John Clements and ARMA have NEVER said to use only the flat." (April 15th) and Craig followed that up with the following quote from John Clements article,

"We might ask what about all those 18th and 19th century fencing styles that specifically instructed to 'parry with the edge'? How later texts on swordplay using broadsword, saber, cutlass, or spadroon taught using the edge to receive cuts is a largely misunderstood and misinterpreted area of fencing history. These works are explicit—and specific—in that this is to be performed only using the lower quarter of the blade above the hilt (the forte or strong). They do not instruct to use the entire length or the sharp portion of the blade to block with. This receiving of cuts with the forte in broadsword and sabre texts is actually consistent with earlier 16th century cut-and-thrust swordplay where closing and binding against the opponent’s own forte was standard. The manner in which these later styles differed in their parrying from earlier methods has been discussed elsewhere."

In John’s book Renaissance Swordsmanship, specifically on page 82 when discussing the 16th century spada (which he calls the cut and thrust sword) John wrote,

“It is vital to realise that parries with a sword are made with the flat of the blade and not the edge, as is commonly mistaken (this is typical of modern saber fencing and common in stage combat). Edges need to be kept sharp and free of nicks or gouges. They are too weak to be intentionally placed in the path of oncoming stikes. Doing so will likely break them far sooner. Parrying with the stronger flat side requires only a slight turn of the wrist. In fact this is the very reason swords are made to flex.”

John Clements clearly said to use only the flat and does not differentiate between sword types. What he says in his article deviates considerably from his earlier statement but contains two major problems. Firstly parrying with the forte has been “largely misunderstood and misinterpreted” by whom? Not by me or by anyone else of my aquaintance who interprets later texts and habitually uses such parries. Not by anyone from a modern sport fencing background where parries with the forte are explicitly taught. The fact that John specifically argued against the edge parries taught in saber fencing but later used them as an example of acceptable edge parries indicates a significant shift of ground.

Now I’m not at all against shifts of ground. On the contrary, anyone interpreting old fencing texts will make mistakes and will need to change their position on some things. I applaud anyone who comes out and says “look I used to say xyz but on further reflection/reading other sources/bouting I have decided that abc is more likely to be true”. That is the natural way in which our understanding of these arts will progress. It’s the way of all scholarship.

What I don’t like is the revisionist history that I see emanating from ARMA, the claims that their position has never changed, that they started right and have remained right all along. This is clearly not the case, even if you think their current position is right. John Clements clearly stated that parries with swords are made with the flat. Not some swords – just “swords”. He stated this in a section of his book on 16th century swords, a weapon that predominantly uses edge parries (more on which later). The dictates of good scholarship are that when you change your mind you state it clearly and openly – “I previously said x, now I think y for the following reasons…”. Pretending that you said y all along and that you never said x is extremely poor scholarship, though in fairness it is Randall making these claims, not John Clements himself.

The second major problem with the statement from Clements’ article is where he states that in 16th century “cut and thrust swordplay”, “closing and binding against the opponent’s own forte was standard.” This is not the case. In a passage in which he is the attacker, Viggiani specifically states “the two swords will clash true-edge on true edge, and since your forte will meet my debole [the Italian word for foible], my sword may actually break” Angelo Viggiani, Lo Schermo, Venetia 1575, page 82, translation by Tom Leoni. Note that it is the attacking sword that may break, not the sword actually doing the parrying. This is obviously not a problem for the defender who is defending the foible of his opponent’s blade with his own forte, true edge to true edge. Viggiani also states that this is the way all masters teach parrying. I have seen this passage used to show that edge to edge parries are bad, because a sword might break. I find this position bizarre. If I parry with my edge I might break my opponent’s sword, disarm him and almost certainly win the fight. And this is supposed to be a problem for me because…?

On April 16th Craig Peters wrote, “Neither a stifling action nor a Krump constitute a parry.” This is another frankly astounding statement that I am amazed that nobody has picked up on. To my knowledge the earliest English language use of the term parry is in Pallas Armata (1639). On page 6 we read “To parere, is to decline, to put by, and to turne off a thrust or blow.” Basically any purely defensive action where you use the sword to prevent the other person’s sword from hitting you is a parry (offensive actions that close the line are of course attacks with opposition and are not parries). Both a stifling action and a krumphau (to the sword – a krumphau to the hands is obviously a counterattack) certainly match Pallas Armata’s definition of a parry and indeed any definition of parry that has been made over the centuries. Every time this tired discussion comes up I see the same basic misunderstandings from ARMA members, counterattacks described as parries and parries, such as the krumphau to the sword, described as…what? What is a krumphau to the sword if not a parry?

Moving on to the comments made about my work,

Randall Pleasant wrote:

Yes, Stephen Hand does cite John Taylor giving specific instructions to make a hard stopping block with the edge. However, as has been said sooooooooo many times before ARMA clearly acknowledges that later swords arts, such as the saber arts, did make use of edge-to-edge blocks. That is outside of this issue.

Randall has selectively quoted me to support his own case. He believes he can dismiss John Taylor as being irrelevant, so he quotes my citation of Taylor. Randall can't so easily dismiss Silver, a man who claims considerable antiquity for his system, so he neatly avoids mentioning my quote from Silver. For the sake of clarity I will include my entire note on parrying from page 77 of my most recent book, English Swordsmanship.

"A note about parrying
Although the subject of edge and flat parries is controversial in some parts of the historical fencing community, it should not be. There are a range of different actions that can be described as parries, that is defensive actions with the blade. Different actions require different mechanics, some using the flat of the sword, others the edge. Any action in which the attacking sword is stopped and held stationary should be done with the edge of the sword as both the blade and arm are stronger in this orientation. Silver advises to “ward his blowe with the edge of yor sword.” Later English authors are as specific. For example John Taylor in 1804 wrote, “the edge of the sword is to receive the blow from an antagonist.” While it is obvious that parrying cuts with the edge of a sword will slightly damage the edge, I have never seen a sword break while parrying a cut with the edge of the forte (the part of the blade closest the hilt). I have seen several blades break while parrying cuts with the flat of the forte. Parrying with the edge, while safe for the Patient Agent may in fact break the Agent’s sword, as the impact will occur on the foible of the latter’s sword, a part of the sword not specifically designed to take heavy edge to edge impacts. This is mentioned by the Italian author Viggiani in 1575 who, in teaching his student how to parry correctly writes “the two swords will clash true-edge on true edge, and since your forte will meet my debole [the Italian word for foible], my sword may actually break”. While breaking a sword is obviously a problem in a modern fencing school environment, parrying in such a way that the enemy’s sword is in danger of breaking confers an advantage in a real fight. Figure 17 shows the orientation of the blade and wrist in an edge and a flat parry. Note the inherent weakness of the bent wrist if the attack is parried with the flat. "

Note the quote from Silver. The full citation of the quote is as follows, George Silver, Bref Instructions Upon my Paradoxes of Defence, British Library, Sloane MS 376, c.1605, p. 24R, Cap. 8 (25)

Randall goes on to say,

Quote:
Picture C shows a very basic flat parry that we use all the time with single hand swords. You do little more than just slap the cut away. In I.33 it states that when you are in Under Arm and facing an adversary in Half-Shield you should not cut to his upper opening because you cannot reach it. Why does it say that? It is not that you can't physically reach his upper opening. It is because the person standing in Half-Shield will just slap it away with his flat and then pop you in the face with his true edge. Simple, easy, and effective.

...and wrong. This is not what the author of I.33 tells you to do and if you try it you are vulnerable to a stabknock or to a complete avoidance of the parry. In fact the author of I.33 tells you to bind and advance. This is indeed the problem with the always with the flat, all the time crowd (who in fact are only one group, ARMA), that in order to blindly adhere to their doctrine they twist and ignore the instructions of the original authors. Christian Tobler and others have provided copious examples of that in this thread, where in order to achieve the sort of sword to sword impacts that they have deemed necessary they change elements of the original masters' practice. The fact that these deviations from the masters are necessary should tell us that the original pre-conception - always parry with the flat- was in error. I have been studying historical fencing manuals for over two decades now and pretty much any pre-conceived notion that I've ever had has fallen by the wayside. Many of them have held me back just as this always parry with the flat nonsense is holding ARMA back. The only way to approach historical texts is to do so with an empty cup. We cannot assume that maintaining edge integrity was an overriding concern (and having said that I should repeat that I have never seen a sword break doing a historically correct edge parry). We cannot assume that all parries were done in a particular way. At the absolute bottom line, we cannot choose to ignore some of what the old masters said because it doesn't fit with our preconceived notions of what sword fighting ought to look like. In the mid 90s John Clements criticised others for doing just this. The irony of the situation is that now it is ARMA who are the ones who are allowing pre-conceived notions of what sword fighting MUST have been like to cloud their judgement. The only way to approach these texts is to do what they say, not what we would like them to say, just what they say. The vast majority of scholars in the field are doing just that. Those who cling to preconceptions in the way that ARMA have with the edge-flat parry issue will become irrelevant and ultimately an object of ridicule. Is that where ARMA wants to go? I should hope not.

Anyway, I have said my piece and will leave it at that. This is an exceptionally tired argument that should be allowed to die a natural death. There were flat parries. There were edge parries. Get over it and just do what the master says. There are people who will argue the point but there are people who think the earth is flat too. Unfortunately debating such people diverts time away from more fruitful study and lowers the whole tone of debate on historical swordsmanship. The richness and diversity of parrying options used by historical masters is great. While we are arguing - I was going to say edge vs flat, but that hasn't been the debate for about a decade, now we're arguing flat all the time regardless of what the master said vs edge or flat as the master recommended - while we are having that rather pointless argument we are missing so much richness in what the masters actually said and did. We really need to get beyond this argument and the only way that's going to happen is for John Clements to admit he was in error and start teaching ARMA students to simply do what specific masters recommend. Unfortunately knowing John I know that's most unlikely to happen... and so I expect to be having this same argument at some time in the future, sigh.

Stephen Hand
Editor, Spada, Spada II
Author of English Swordsmanship, Medieval Sword and Shield

Stoccata School of Defence
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apart from all the boiling blood this actually has brought up some interesting aspects of this theme. I came across one or two new sources I am not very familair with that I plan to look into once I have some time and can find a copy. So in that way it has been helpful. It also has brought up some very good arguements for and against.

I am reading through a newly translated MS from the British Library a friend of mine just did for his MA of a english medieval sword fighting manual, seemingly from what I can tell from the student's point of view. So far it is very interesting and would be of interest to some here I think. I believe he is trying to get it published right now so if interested let me know and I will pass the info along.

I am still not totally sure some of the debate here is terminology but it has been interesting to read through it. The way I have interpreted some (not all mind you) the term edge is the area where the flat tapers into the edge, or the place were the edge begins after the flat terminates. It seems to some flat denotes this area and others it is the edge. Either way, interesting read.

RPM
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
However, this position, in its later incarnation is likely held with the blade facing edge up and down, not with the flat presented. Meyer shows it thus and by this time the artwork is starting to depict blade orientation (though probably not in Sutor, whose illustrations are extremely crude by Meyer's standards).

Also, look carefully at the hands of the hanging point figure in Meyer - there's no way he's presenting his flat.

Attached is the plate from Meyer. As depicted, you are right in that the edge is aligned vertically and towards the opponent. Meyer has the edge presented to the opponent. However, this places the flat ready to receive the blow and not the edge.

Many have mentioned miscommunication throughout this discussion. Points of miscommunication where we are arguing over the same terms but different meanings include edge-on-edge, edge-on-flat, what constitutes a "parry," etc. I would like to draw a distinction between on the edge and edge on. Edges may meet, touch, rub, shake hands, etc., and we all except this. When receiving a blow on the flat as ARMA teaches to do, the edges still may come into contact, as people here have pointed out (and we acknowledge). However there is a difference at least to me of actions where the edges touch and hard stops that happen edge on. This latter concept is what I believe ARMA's article to be written against.

Much of the ARMA philosophy includes making good, better, and best interpretations from the source material based on what works. On this issue, I still believe that it is very possible, effecient, and effective to parry with the flat when appropriate however I have become more open to differing interpretations and will attempt to consider them as I am able to apply them in practice.

Hugh Knight wrote:
An experienced sword instructor who has seen sword blocking with the flat reports that doing so is likely to lead to catastrophic failure of the blade which is far worse than a few nicks.

There are people on both sides of the issue saying this about how the other side blocks. I don't know anyone who has actually witnessed a sword breaking from hard edge-to-edge contact or hard edge-to-flat contact. This is speculation, even by people who know an awful lot about sword dynamics.

John Clements has not participated in this discussion on this forum. He is not here to state his opinions or defend himself. We do not mean to speak on his behalf. We in ARMA have been taught certain things and mean to defend these stances based on our own reasoning.

Attachment: 82.33 KB
meyerF.jpg

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Zeman wrote:
Just as an aside... Iron Gate is not a leg parry. It is never illustrated as such, or mentioned in that regard by Fiore (I don't know about other Masters). The only action prescribed by Fiore against a leg strike is the high cut to the head with a slip/void of the leg.

Nicholas

Please know that I make my reply as part of friendly and respectful discussion.

Why do you think the masters develop the Iron Gate and Alber guards? Basically an action made from those guards can also be made from Pflug. So why lower your blade to the ground if not to cut off a line of attack either before or during an actual attack? If you are in a high guard such as Vom Tag or Ochs the a cut to the head is the best way to counter an attempt on your legs. But if you are already in either the Iron Gate/Alber or Pflug guards and your adverary cuts at your legs unless he is really really slow in making the cut you do not have time to raise you hands to make a cut to the his head. We find it very easy to perform an Absetzen follow by a thrust.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...and Schranckhut is generally used to offer an opening, not create cover.

Christian

But Schranckhut is used to perform an absetzen (Tobler, Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmenship, pages 42-43).
Come on now, I feel silly quoting your book to you. WTF?! Happy

Respectfully,

Ran Pleasant]
ARMA DFW
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall,

I've revised that interpretation, as I show in the subsequent "Fighting with the German Longsword". My point above was that you don't lie in Schranckhut to await the absetzen. In the technique in question, you strike into Schranckhut, over his sword. From there you then strike up into his head.

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen

I want to thank you for the warmth you bring to these friendly discussion.

Stephen Hand wrote:
I didn't want to get into this pointless argument again as arguing with people who have a fixed position and will not deviate from it is tiresome and rather pointless.

I do understand you pain. But on the other hand, this thread has branched off into a number of fun and enjoyable discussions.

Stephen Hand wrote:
What I don’t like is the revisionist history that I see emanating from ARMA, the claims that their position has never changed, that they started right and have remained right all along.

Well, my earliest memories of discussions on this topic include trying to get it across to you that this was not an Edge vs. Flat issue but rather an Edge-on-Edge issue. That you didn't understand this back then does not mean that ARMA has changed it position on the issue, it just means that you now understand the issue fully - I think. But hey, I'm just glad to see that much enlightenment. Wink If there is one single thing one should know about ARMA it is that it has not changed it position on this issue. The issue has not changed and neither has ARMA's positon on the issue!

In any case, the whole "revisionist history" thing is a staw man. Argueing that ARMA has changed it position on the issue keeps one from addressing the actual issue.

Stephen Hand wrote:
Randall has selectively quoted me to support his own case.

Actually it was someone else that referred to you work. I was just replying to them.

Stephen Hand wrote:
He [Randall] believes he can dismiss John Taylor as being irrelevant,..

Actually I did dismiss John Taylor work as being irrelevant because it falls outside of the period the issue is concerned with. Well, maybe you don't understand the issue as well as I though.

Stephen Hand wrote:
Randall can't so easily dismiss Silver, a man who claims considerable antiquity for his system, so he neatly avoids mentioning my quote from Silver.

The other person referenced the whole page - do forgive me for not quoting each sentence. Razz

The quote by Silver is “ward his blowe with the edge of yor sword.” We do this all the time. However, when we do it we just don't slam our edge directly head-on into his edge. Take the time to read some of my earlier post in this thread and you will even see an example of how to I can cut my true edge into the other true edge without doing a hard edge-on-edge block.

Stephen Hand wrote:

Quote:
Picture C shows a very basic flat parry that we use all the time with single hand swords. You do little more than just slap the cut away. In I.33 it states that when you are in Under Arm and facing an adversary in Half-Shield you should not cut to his upper opening because you cannot reach it. Why does it say that? It is not that you can't physically reach his upper opening. It is because the person standing in Half-Shield will just slap it away with his flat and then pop you in the face with his true edge. Simple, easy, and effective.

...and wrong. This is not what the author of I.33 tells you to do and if you try it you are vulnerable to a stabknock or to a complete avoidance of the parry. In fact the author of I.33 tells you to bind and advance.

The author says:
"It is to be seen that here is the first ward contained, i.e. the one under the arm, and the displacer is in halpschilt. I give the good counsel that the one (assuming the ward) under the arm do not execute a strike, which is commendable from the albersleiben, for the reason that he could not reach the upper part, and (reaching anywhere) lower would be pernicious to the head. But the displacer entering to attack may reach him at any time if he fails to observe what is written below:"
(http://freywild.ch/i33/i33aen.html#01).

So the author is clearly saying that when in Under Arm and facing Half-Shield that you should not cut to the upper opening because you can't reach it nor to the lower opening because you leave you head open. Thus, when in that situation we should 'fall under the sword and shield". Notice that the author does not tell us why we can't reach the upper opening. The stabknock that you mentioned is what the guy in Under Arm does if the man in Half-Shield attempts to cut his head. It never says what the person in Half-Shield should do if a cut from Under Arm is actually made to his head. Of course, there are many things that he could do, including just slapping the cut away with the flat of his sword and making a quick cut to the othe person's face. As I said, simple, easy, and effective.

Stephen Hand wrote:

This is indeed the problem with the always with the flat, all the time crowd (who in fact are only one group, ARMA), that in order to blindly adhere to their doctrine they twist and ignore the instructions of the original authors.

I pointed out to you several years ago that interpretations are just that - interpretaitons. Neither you nor any interpretaiton by any person or group speaks for the historical masters. Only the historical works of the masters speak for the masters. Disagreeing with you and your interpretations does not constitute a disagreeing with the historical masters. You speak for for Stephen Hand. We do indeed follow the instructions of the historical masters but we also require that an interpretation of the master's instructions be martial sound. We don't ignore the instructions of the masters, we just ignore you.

As yes, ARMA is just one group but it is the biggest group. Several if our study groups are as large as most other groups. If we exclude role-players, SCA, actors, LARPs, etc., then ARMA members represent an extremely large section of the people studying these arts as a true and serious martial art.

Stephen Hand wrote:
I have been studying historical fencing manuals for over two decades now ...

Is this an Appeal to Authority to yourself? In any case, John Clements started in 1980. Now that is out of the way...........

Stephen Hand wrote:

Those who cling to preconceptions in the way that ARMA have with the edge-flat parry issue will become irrelevant and ultimately an object of ridicule.

Nasty! Laughing Out Loud Ridicule runs in many directions but I try not to engage in it because it really does not lead anywhere.

Stephen Hand wrote:

There are people who will argue the point but there are people who think the earth is flat too.

Laughing Out Loud Hee hee hee, I love it. Laughing Out Loud Bart Walczakiem still fusses at me about this!
If any reader does not understand just know that this is an inside joke that would be off topic to explain here. Laughing Out Loud

Stephen Hand wrote:

Unfortunately debating such people diverts time away from more fruitful study and lowers the whole tone of debate on historical swordsmanship.

You came to this fourm of you own free will. But please don't let our friendly discussions keep you away from something important.
Do watch out for swring doors. Wink

By the way, what is your opinion about Guy Windsor experience?

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen-

You will all regain your composure and act like gentlemen once again. There will be no more sarcasm, snide remarks, or any other such nonsense. Failure to heed this warning will result in the me having some fun with the administrative features of this site.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Randall,

The statement that John Clements began studying in 1980 is very misleading. In fact, it's quite clear that even by the time of the writing of Medieval Swordsmanship in the late 1990's, he had never read a medieval fighting treatise. This should hardly be surprising given not one Italian or German source from the late medieval period had been translated at that juncture; Mark Rector's Talhoffer book was the first. Bits of Ringeck were available via Jorg Bellinghausen, but no complete work. Certainly, throughout the 80's, no manuscript was available to the English-speaking world, and certainly, at that point, John could not read German or Italian.

In short, no one, save perhaps for Steve Hick or Matt Galas, should be claiming to have been seriously working with medieval fighting treatises in the early 1980's. I've fought with longswords since 1979 (and was test-cutting with other swords in the mid-70s), but that hardly has anything to do with serious study of WMA.

You also mention that the interpretations you espouse may have further validity because of the size of ARMA's membership. That's a problematic assertion, for if everyone follows the same flawed pedagogy and/or research practices, then it simply means there's a lot of people doing it wrong. Numbers don't create validity, nor is it accurate to imply that all ARMA members agree with the ideas about parrying that John has posited.

Lastly, I also feel it's about time we stop implying that everyone in LARPing, or the SCA, is somehow too clueless to count. While I have few connections with the LARP world, there are a number of SCA members who approach this material very seriously now - some of them (Brian Price, for instance) even run WMA events.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Randall Pleasant"]
Nicholas Zeman wrote:
Why do you think the masters develop the Iron Gate and Alber guards? Basically an action made from those guards can also be made from Pflug. So why lower your blade to the ground if not to cut off a line of attack either before or during an actual attack? If you are in a high guard such as Vom Tag or Ochs the a cut to the head is the best way to counter an attempt on your legs. But if you are already in either the Iron Gate/Alber or Pflug guards and your adverary cuts at your legs unless he is really really slow in making the cut you do not have time to raise you hands to make a cut to the his head. We find it very easy to perform an Absetzen follow by a thrust.

The reason to assume Alber is to invite attack., not to guard your legs; that's why it's called "Fool". I believe the Wechsel is used the same way in Ligniter's swod and buckler plays.

You are correct, however, when you say that the Absetzen (which includes a thrust) is very effective from there.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The statement that John Clements began studying in 1980 is very misleading. In fact, it's quite clear that even by the time of the writing of Medieval Swordsmanship in the late 1990's, he had never read a medieval fighting treatise. This should hardly be surprising given not one Italian or German source from the late medieval period had been translated at that juncture; Mark Rector's Talhoffer book was the first. Bits of Ringeck were available via Jorg Bellinghausen, but no complete work. Certainly, throughout the 80's, no manuscript was available to the English-speaking world, and certainly, at that point, John could not read German or Italian.

In short, no one, save perhaps for Steve Hick or Matt Galas, should be claiming to have been seriously working with medieval fighting treatises in the early 1980's. I've fought with longswords since 1979 (and was test-cutting with other swords in the mid-70s), but that hardly has anything to do with serious study of WMA.

You also mention that the interpretations you espouse may have further validity because of the size of ARMA's membership. That's a problematic assertion, for if everyone follows the same flawed pedagogy and/or research practices, then it simply means there's a lot of people doing it wrong. Numbers don't create validity, nor is it accurate to imply that all ARMA members agree with the ideas about parrying that John has posited.

Lastly, I also feel it's about time we stop implying that everyone in LARPing, or the SCA, is somehow too clueless to count. While I have few connections with the LARP world, there are a number of SCA members who approach this material very seriously now - some of them (Brian Price, for instance) even run WMA events.

I agree completely with the sentiments in your post, Christian, but feel a minor correction is in order: Anglo's translation of Le Jeu de La Hache was published in 1991 whereas Rector's Talhoffer didn't come out until 2000. I know this because I got a copy of Le Jeu from Steve Hick (indirectly through a mutual friend) long before Rector's translation came out.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The statement that John Clements began studying in 1980 is very misleading.

That's my bad. I should have stated that John first started fensing in 1980. The comment was made in response to another person's statement I took as an Appeal to Authority base upon their own years of study. I have never heard John claim he was the first. However, to try to imply that John is some johnny-come-lately to this field is also extremely mis-leading. When John took over the HACA in the early 90s and focus it on the study of these arts are a true martial art many of the scholars in todays groups were still considering what the SCA was doing to be both historical and a martial art. Remember, it was in response to people in the SCA and stage fighting that the edge-on-edge issue first come up.

You also mention that the interpretations you espouse may have further validity because of the size of ARMA's membership.

I don't really understand how my statements about the size of ARMA could be taken as a statement of validity but in any case that was not my intent. My statement was made in response to an attempt to dismiss ARMA as some small irrelevant group. Far from being irrelevant, ARMA members have not only produce a number books and articles on the subject, the orgainization is clearly producing some of the best modern swordsmen in the world (please note that I'm not say ARMA is the only organization doing so and I'm not saying I am one of them).

... nor is it accurate to imply that all ARMA members agree with the ideas about parrying that John has posited.

Yes, you are right. ARMA does sometimes have new member who will at first disagree on the issue. However, once they see how easy it is to fense effectively with without doing hard edge-on-edge parrys and once they see the damage that is possible from edge-on-edge parrying then they quickly understand why ARMA has taken the position it has on the issue. Our members quickly learn that in practice edge-on-edge parrys are nothing more than something that they don't have to do.

There are indeed a number of serious scholars who have a background in the SCA and LARP groups. Although I have not been able to get to know Brian Price as well as I wish since he move a few miles from me I have develop a lot of respect for him and I greatly enjoyed the WMAW event he recently held. I have also enjoyed classes by Bob Charron and Robert Holland, who both have backgrounds in the SCA. However, what the SCA and the LARP groups do is neither historical nor a martial art. I do not think their members are "too clueless" to count. I don't count them simiply because they do something totally difference from what we do.

Respectfully,

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

Last edited by Randall Pleasant on Mon 23 Apr, 2007 10:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
The reason to assume Alber is to invite attack., not to guard your legs; that's why it's called "Fool". I believe the Wechsel is used the same way in Ligniter's swod and buckler plays.

Hugh

I find having a single reason to assume a guard to be very limiting. When we look at the guards and techniques of the masters we look for possibilities.

All the best,

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Randall,

I didn't try to paint John as a latecomer. Far from it, as he was one of the earlier exponents of the WMA revival and certainly the earliest to publish successful books on the subject. However, those books were written largely in ignorance of the actual contents of the source material, as has been pointed out at various points in this debate. I'd also like to point out that I'm grateful to John for his creation of the old HACA forum, where I 'met' many important friends and colleagues: Jorg, Greg Mele, Stefan Dieke, Stephen Hand, Steve Hick, Matt Galas, Terry Brown, etc. etc. John did a lot early on to foster the revitalization of these arts.

As for ARMA producing some of the best swordsmen, and that being clear, no - that's not clear at all; it's strictly an opinion, and the criteria for such pronouncements is so subjective that it's a statement that can be neither proven nor disproven. And given that such criteria involve such ephemera as bouting with simulated weapons with no real hazard to life and limb, any such criteria is worth little. In any case, this says nothing whatever for the validity of your theory; for instance, lots of otherwise demonstrably great 18th c. thinkers were greviously wrong in their defense of slavery. Being a good swordsman says little about any specific theory. I can illustrate this further by saying that I feel Maestro Martinez is one of the greatest living swordsmen, but I disagree with just about everything he says regarding the medieval period.

For my own part, I'm content to leave my own or my school's renown in the hands of others, where adherence to the chivalric code demands it be left.

Your statement regarding new ARMA members quickly learning about edge parries speaks more to inculcation than exploration, as this conclusion is not reached by the overwhelming majority of non-ARMA instructors, their students, and solitary practitioners in the rest of the community. I'm afraid that such comments only underscore what Mr. Hand has said above about the apparent fossilization of ARMA doctrine; the whole idea of doctrine in this business should be anathema to anyone doing serious research. Lastly for this point, I have spoken to more senior ARMA members who don't get what all the edge issue is all about.

Regarding the SCA and its fighters, I have never fought with that group, so my observations are those of an outsider. However I know of few members of that organization who do not acknowledge that their martial art (which it most certainly is, albeit one devised in the late 1960's) is ahistorical. I am however pleased to read you acknowledge the WMA accomplishments of several of their luminaries.

I'll be exiting this thread at this point. I never had any illusions about convincing you on this matter, as this has appeared to be a nearly religous conviction for a number of years now. I did feel obliged to use historic sources to show those new to the debate the preponderance of evidence against such a simple and one-sided reading of the techniques of the treatises. That even the explicit and unambiguous advice of the Bolognese (read: Italian medieval) masters leaves you undeterred in your conviction about parrying with medieval swords is, I'm afraid, all too telling.

All the best to you in your training,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Last edited by Christian Henry Tobler on Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes Hugh, you're right. I forgot about Le Jeu!

Still, not too many (and here the SCA guys were first!) were working with medieval poleaxe sources in the 90's. When this got rolling, it was all about the longsword.

Now that I think about it, I think Le Jeu was my first treatise too...David Counts, who used to post on the old Arador board, sent it to me along with some Churburg book excerpts back in the mid-90's.

Cheers,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems we are having the same discussion, in a different place, all over again.... But I like this discussion, as it brings all kinds of questions, research, and information to the surface.

Of course, none of us will ever win it, and I hate seeing the discussion center around ARMA and John Clements vs everyone else, since there is so much more to the discussion than that. There is so much we just don't know about swordsmanship in the 12th-16th Century, and discussions like this can both elevate our understanding or devolve it, depending on our conduct. I have no axe to grind with anyone in these discussions, so I have tried to keep it as academic as possible.

One thing Randall brought up that I totally disagree with, however, is the idea that Iron Gate or Boar's Tooth or any guard with a longsword that is held low has anything to do with being a leg parry. It is true that this position protects the leg by virtue of the blade, however I don't see why you would attack the leg if it is protected already. And if you have the sword held in any other position the thing every Medieval and many Renaissance manuscripts say to do is to void the leg and attack the obvious open target, which is the head. I don't think the primary purpose of Iron Gate or Alber is to make the leg parry. Fiore, which is my primary area of study, gives you all kinds of things to do from Porta di Ferro, none of which involve parrying a cut to the leg. Most of the actions from this guard involve making a strong rebat or deflection from below, a much stronger defense than you might make from Posta Breva or Pflug.

I don't see this low parry being made until saber and spadroon systems (although I am not so familiar with anything past the early 17th Century). And even in modern saber fencing there is a possibility of voiding and striking to the exposed high target when the low cut or thrust is made. As far as I know there is not a single plate, image, or description in any longsword system of making a parry to a leg cut anywhere. If there is such evidence, please enlighten me.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Nicholas,

Real quick...there is at least one example: Paulus Kal shows a low parry protecting the leg in his sword and buckler section, but that's likely because with a single-handed sword, you can change up targets easily while already in close measure; ie., there might be insufficient time here to void and countercut high.

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…"
Page 9 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: