Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusade's flavoured inscription Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Crusade's flavoured inscription         Reply with quote

I'm thinking of customising one of my swords with a 1st Crusade style inscription on the cross. I've two main questions, which do you think would be more 'correct' ? Firstly, the inscription. Do you think a simple "Deus Vult" (God Wills) or "Quod Deus Vult" (That which God Wills) would be more likely ? I *think* Quod Deus Vult" is more grammatically correct Latin, but I'm thinking Deus Vult was the rallying call for the First Crusade ?
My second question is, what way "Up" do you think would be the likely way the engraving on the cross would be.? If you were holding the unsheathed sword in your hand, the point would probably be up, and the inscription would be facing up as one kissed the sword's cross. If one kissed a sheathed sword, the pommel would be uppermost and the inscription would read as if facing the pommel ? I hope I'm making sense here ?
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt once wrote that you could pick out a "bearing sword", i.e. one which was made for display and ceremonial purposes only, if the inscription on the blade could be read most easily when you held it point upward. I suspect that might apply to other swords as well. So, if you have a choice you may want to consider having the inscription readable with the point down.

Just a thought.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusade's flavoured inscription
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic