Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendel period helm information? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Boynton

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Vendel period helm information?         Reply with quote

I have an essay in Art History where I have to compare any two pieces of art from anywhere in between Prehistoric Times to the Gothic period. I decided to compare the Sutton Hoo helm to another similar helm, but I'm not having much luck finding any information about other Vendel period helms. Can anyone give me any sources to read up on the Valsgardė helm or any other Vendel period helms?
Len Parker

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew, this might not be much help without a translator, but here are the vendel helmets along with some line drawings. (bottom links) http://asgard.tgorod.ru/libri.php3?cont=_vendel1
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get yourself a copy of Dominic Tweddle's 'The Coppergate Helmet'. Although it's primarily focused on the York helmet, a large section of it is devoted to other early medieval helms, especially the Vendel and Valsgarde examples.

Other than that,.....well, there's Greta Arwidsson's books on Valsgarde 7 + 8 and also a cracking little book called 'Vendeltid', published by the Swedish Statens historiska museet in 1980. None of them are easy to find but inter-library loan might be your friend.

More readily available is Stephen Pollington's recent book, Wayland's Work, which is essential reading for anyone with an interest with the material culture and art of the period. Huge, lavishly illustrated and utterly gorgeous. Should come with a drool proof cover and a cloth.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendel period helm information?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic