Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Confused Scabbard stud Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Clive L

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Confused Scabbard stud         Reply with quote

After umming and arrring over if I should get a sword I finally did after visiting Carisbrooke castle but the scabbard has something on which I've never seen before which is a stud at the throat, Now after some searching I've figured out its an attachment system for a belt but what I cant figure out is if the scabbard just slides in to a frog and the stud just stops it from falling out or if theres ment to be a hole in the belt or frog somewhere and the stud gets pushed into that?

I did do a quick search on here and have searched on google and looked at loads of pictures of people wearing swords but I cant figure it out, any help would be greatly appreciated so I know what type of frog/belt to get.

Thank you
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you have a date for it? Just because there are numerous depictions showing swords worn pushed through a hole in the lowest fauld plate of kastenbrust-styled armours, and a stud would help a lot fixing it at a desired height.

Attachment: 168.99 KB
7006410-1455.JPG
This example even has a golden band surrounding the hole, making it clear that it's not something the artist misinterpreted.
Clive L

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have a date all It said about it was it was a battle ready medieval sword maybe a picture will help?

Definitely going to look in to re-enactment now though I think lol as if airsofting isn't an already expensive hobby

sorry about the picture quality it wouldn't really focus properly on what I wanted to, maybe its enough though?

Thank you.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clive,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy The stud/frog arrangement is historical for certain periods. I'm most familiar with this arrangement for 17th-18th century swords like baskethilts, though I'm sure other swords used this as well.

The guard on your sword looks much more medieval. For that era, this setup is much less historical. The plethora of "medieval" frogs available from Museum Replicas and others are not much like what was done historically. In fact, speaking very generally and broadly, it appears that from, say, 1100-1500, it was very common to have the scabbard and belt mountings integrated in some way, if not the entire belt. Most rigs we see in period art and surviving specimens are done this way and it appears to have been most common to remove the entire sword and (integrated) belt when needed, not just a scabbard from a frog.

Do you have more pics of the sword so we can see when/where it is from?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Clive L

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's some more pics

I know its pretty much a complete basic beginners sword and I am completely new to all this but i'm finding myself more and more enamoured over armour and the different type of swords/systems that are about,

its a bit long and a bit heavy for me so maybe I'll start looking for another one as soon as funds allow.

thank you all for your help so far (and being nice to a newbie Big Grin )
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clive,
I can say with some level of certainty that, for that era of sword, that stud is a modern solution to makers not integrating scabbards and belts in a historical fashion. I can see why these makers don't do this as it involves more leather work and research, to say nothing about variation in waist sizes, etc. Plus, there is a whole business that deals in after-the-fact belts, frogs, etc. Some of them can look fairly convincing from a distance, too.

It's not a bad-looking sword and is a good start to this hobby. Be prepared to spend more than you intend to. Happy You may also find that your first purchase gets replaced with something better as you grow in the hobby. That's what happened for me. The oldest weapon in my collection dates from several years after I started collecting; everything else moved on.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Clive L

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhh ok a little bit disappointing but it gives me a reason to break out the wood tools and have ago at making my own scabbard I guess, I did find a tutorial on making one and all the lacing that goes with it (looked confusing so I hoped it didn't come to that), but maybe a frog will have to do for the moment guessing its the just slide in type and the stud stops it from falling out.

as to spending more then I wish to i'm kind of used to it but probably not on this sort of scale.

once again many thanks for the help and being nice, you don't often get a forum thats nice to new members probably asking the same stupid over and over again Big Grin .
Clive L

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this topic back to the top but I thought I'd post in this thread rather then making another about the same sword,

what would the fighting style be with a sword like this? going to guess it would be one hand broad sweeping motions and slash attacking rather then stabbing, and would it be accompanied with a shield or a dagger of some kind?

any videos demonstrating the style off attack would also be very helpful

Thank you.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Clive Try some of these

Sword School

Hammaborg

Two good places to start.

Craig