Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help with a ID on a sword: Lambert&Brown Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard D. McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Need help with a ID on a sword: Lambert&Brown         Reply with quote

I am a new collector and have come across a beautiful piece, of which i know nothing about. the blade has a moderately
clear marking about 5 inches from the hilt.......LAMBERT & BROWN Co.
Dame st.
Dublin.

I have tried but not been able to find a single shred of info on the maker or the sword.
Unfortunately I have no access to a digital camera so i cant post a pic. Please bear with me, as i am new to the trade, my explanation may not be quite as good as a longtime collector

The blade is about 34 inches long, 1 1/2 inches in width and about 1/16 thick. It is tapered to the upper edge and has a small but gentle bead all the way down the top of the blade. It also extends through the handle, "full tang"

The handle is a black bead pattern with a twisted copper wire running in a spiral to the hilt. It has a beautiful guard that is obviously handworked

If anybody knows this swordmaker i would deeply appreciate your input.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might be wrong, but it is possible that Lambert & Brown was an outfitter (a firm supplying officers with uniforms, swords, etc), and not the maker per se. It is also possible that the sword was made in e.g. Germany and etched with L&B's name - the practice is known. There was a cutler/retailer in 27 Dame Street, Dublin, named "Lambert, Brown & Woodward", which started up in 1840. "Lambert & Brown Co" was used in 1845, to be changed to "Lambert, Brown & Clowes" in 1846. (Source: http://www.oldswords.com) So, that particular mark nails the making of the sword to 1845.
My sword site

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help with a ID on a sword: Lambert&Brown
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic