Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is Baltimore knife and sword durable? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jen Miilu

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Is Baltimore knife and sword durable?         Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've always had a predilection to atrims and tinkers. Maybe it's time to look into a new company. What do you guys think of the Baltimore knife co?

Light?
Well balanced?
Etc.

Thank you

J
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Most of their swords are more for reenactment. They do sell a few sharpened ones from their site. Think all but one listed on Kult of Athena are reenactment.

They did a special project for the Sword Buyers Guide (SBG) members. One was a fantasy leaf blade and the other was a fantasy straight blade. I have the straight blade and it is a decent sword for the price. You can check it out on SGB to see them.

That is my only experience with the company.
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled a number of their swords and own a custom sword and dagger that I had Matt make for me a couple years ago. For the price they do excellent work, IMO. It's true that the majority of their stuff is made for reenactment or stage combat, but they will put edges on their swords if you want that.

As far as weight and balance, it depends on what type of sword you are looking for. Their medieval swords tend to run a little heavy, but the point of balance runs closer to the hilt than is usual, so they don't feel too heavy in the hand. Their sabers and cutlasses have a more normal weight and balance in my experience. Overall durability is pretty good, although I've only used mine to cut bottles.

I hope that helps,
Alan
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned a few of their swords with no complaints other than some cosmetic flaws on my SBG project sword. They are quite durable and will take a beating. However, they are a vastly different product than an ATrim or Tinker (both which I own as well). The later are much more on par with their historical counterparts than what Baltimore can offer you unless you custom commission a work from them. Additionally, as mentioned above, the weight is a bit more because the Baltimore blades are overbuilt to take considerable abuse. The PoB as is on the ones I know does tend to underpower the blade and give the weapon to neutral a feel. I do not speak for them, but I am sure they could adjust this with a custom work however.

Best of luck in making a decision! Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They're making some of the blades for Christian Fletcher's "Heroic" line of swords. I'd assume they're of pretty decent quality.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is Baltimore knife and sword durable?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic