Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Bavarian Rapier Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: A&A Bavarian Rapier         Reply with quote

I picked up this little puppy from Geoff Freeman at the SFI classifieds for an amazing price. I had already been saving up for an A&A Italian rapier, but for the deal I got from Geoff, it was more than worth making a change in choice. Some stats:

Weight: 2 lbs 5 oz
Blade length: appr 38 1/4", plus a 2" ricasso
Overall length: 46"
POB: appr. 5 1/4" from quillon

Overall impressions: When I first picked this up out of the box, I wasn't sure how I felt about the balance. It was a little further forward than what I'm used to, although I've handled a couple originals, and one that I've gotten to hold had this sort of feel. But I've been playing with this for a week now, and I absolutely love it. Strangely, despite the slightly forward balance, this seems to help the tip just fall into place when I do a lunge. I can't quite describe why, but it just has an "alive" feel to it once I started doing some drills. The sword is blunt, as it apparently was originally was purchased with stage combat in mind. That was perfect, since I wanted it as a user sword. I at first thought that maybe the fact that it was ordered with stage in mind had to do with the tip heaviness, but now I actually don't think so since. I also had always had a preconception that forward weighted rapiers were obviously geared towards cutting, but this Bavarian is definately not such a cutter. My Darkwood rapier balances much closer to the hilt, and is much more maneuverable in the cut than this one is, but I find that I can control my thrusts better with the Bavarian.

It just goes to show that there's more to how a sword feels than just the balance.

Attachment: 60.93 KB
bavarian.jpg

Attachment: 57.95 KB
bavarianhilt.jpg

Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bill, How do you think it compares to my S13? A bit more true rapierish? (I seem to remember you got to play with it a bit before it was sold to me....)

I'm still loving the S13, immensely, and will have a scabbard done soon... its all done, except for lacquering. (i dont know squat about leatherworking, and im not going to try now - too busy, so black lacquer it is)

I just wish the S13 had about 4 more inches of blade....

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say I am more impressed with the A&A than I was with the ArmArt. Though I have to caveat that and say that I'm 6' 2", so the ArmArt that you have was more like a parrying dagger to me. Wink In fact, the A&A is just slightly short for me, but close enough.

The ArmArt was by no means a bad sword, but from what I recall, it was a bit heft for a sword as short as it is. But I only got to play with it once, so it's a bit hard for me to recall. I also think the A&A has it beat in terms of even finish, but that's one of A&A's hallmarks, so it doesn't surprise me one bit.
Ross McCarthy

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A & A certainly turn out some beautiful work.
R. McCarthy
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Rapiers         Reply with quote

Hey I know both of those Rapiers.Happy Sorry no real input here. Just an off topic question for Bill; Where the hell are the A&A GBS pics? Razz
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rapiers         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Hey I know both of those Rapiers.Happy Sorry no real input here. Just an off topic question for Bill; Where the hell are the A&A GBS pics? Razz

Jason, Bill,

I weighed the ArmArt today... 2lbs 13 oz.. A bit heavier than i like, but overall not that bad. its no fencing epee though...

I also weighed my shahsqa/sabre again... its 1lb 12oz, rather than the 2lbs 2.5oz i thought i remembered it weighing. oops..

I *really* like that A&A though.... would like to have one, but dunno what I'd do with another rapier. I can't wait until my dojo's tameshigiri day in october... I'm going to have at some smaller bamboo with it... 1/2" or so.. I've cut some cardboard, and for what it is, it cuts remarkably well - though it has a bit of feedback in the cut. I kind of expected that because of the narrow blade with thicker cross section though.

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Wow!         Reply with quote

I would have never guessed that the Bavarian is lighter than the S13. The S13 definately felt more agile of the 2. Of course it probably was. I believe the POB is closer on the S13 than the Bavarian. Still the weight of the ArmArt suprises me.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rapiers         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:

Well, the GBS just arrived at my door a couple of days ago. I'll have pics and a brief write up soon, but I'm visiting the folks right now on a count of the lovely Isabel making her way through VA. But you'll see it soon, just be patient.
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow!         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
I would have never guessed that the Bavarian is lighter than the S13. The S13 definately felt more agile of the 2. Of course it probably was. I believe the POB is closer on the S13 than the Bavarian. Still the weight of the ArmArt suprises me.

It surprises me too... i can't feature the armart being more agile - to me it feels *slow* i know its not that slow, but it feels it.

Sigh... I wish I could have afforded to buy the dagger from you as well. grumble

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wow!         Reply with quote

It surprises me too... i can't feature the armart being more agile - to me it feels *slow* i know its not that slow, but it feels it.

Well Chris, it could be false memories planted by the government or maybe the computer matrix Razz

It has been what, close to a year Question , since I've handled the S13. If I had the two rapiers side by side then I might have come to a different conclusion. Who knows?? Both rapiers are lovely pieces and do what they were designed to do very well . . . thrust.
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wow!         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:

Well Chris, it could be false memories planted by the government or maybe the computer matrix Razz

It has been what, close to a year Question , since I've handled the S13. If I had the two rapiers side by side then I might have come to a different conclusion. Who knows?? Both rapiers are lovely pieces and do what they were designed to do very well . . . thrust.

Humm... I think I bought that from you about.... February-ish maybe.. anyway, yeah, I'm in love with it.. its great. I've just finished up a scabbard for it.. Also, yeah, it does thrust nicely, but it cuts nicely too, for what it is. :-)

I can't wait till my dojo's tameshigiri day this Oct. It'll be a nice sword to cut some smaller bamboo with - to demonstrate that it CAN cut but that its a bad idea to do so, due to the handling characteristics of it.

fun stuff though.

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Bavarian Rapier
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic