Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Angus Trim I-Beam Trainer photo request Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Angus Trim I-Beam Trainer photo request         Reply with quote

If you own the Angus Trim I-Beam Trainer and have used it in contact could you please post up photos of your sword to include areas of contact with other trainers and could you list what other trainers it has had contact with. Thanks!!
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go:

Sorry I don't have clearer photos, but I am away in the Middle East right now and cannot get current photos for you of the specifics you ask for. I used mine against:

Albion Lichtenhauer
A&A Zohgo
Hanwei 1.5 Hander
Hanwei Federschwerts

It seems to have done well. Granted, I did file the edges off, they were rather sharp originally.I rounded them off a bit with a mill file.

One caveat: Two years ago, I did see someone break their ATrim I-Beam at a Schola St. George gathering in Georgia when used full force against an A&A Zohgo during en arma combat. It broke clean at the shouders of the threaded portion of the tang. I took photos of this, but did not upload them before I changed phones.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will try to get a few of the photos I have from the Lonin sword group that has been using the ATrim I-beams for some time now.

the one that broke at the Schola practice was one of the old models which are quite a bit thinner and less durable than the new ones. I have video of two Lonin-sword guys banging theres together hard enough that at one point a spark flew with no apparent damage.

John, if you don't mind me asking is that one of the Chinese models, or an old one? it doesn't look quite like the new versions.

anyway I'll try to get some of this stuff up tomorrow but I'm busy preparing for the cutting party and getting an MRI so I might not get to it. that and my dumb computer doesn't want to process the video so I might have to put it up unedited which would be a bit boring but hey if I have to I will.

what I saw on the swords at LoninSword group was that the leather of the grips was wearing faster than the edges which were all in very good shape for their age and level of use. there were a few minor scuffs on the edges but nothing I would call real damage.
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as promised I have photos and video of the current model I-Beam trainer.

the odd thing I was seeing on Sarge's sword is the tip, I am convinced that his is the Chinese model because the fuller stops too far before the tip

here's ours:

the guys told me they had not used any sort of file or sand paper or stone on the edges at all and these swords have been through months of weekly practice.

here are some side-by-side comparisons of an old model (the kind that broke) and the new model.

we have a guy who should be doing a full review of one before too long, hopefully he comes through. he will be taking his I-beam to the annual Pac NW HEMA conference and using it against all manner of other trainers there so there should be some more info before long

here's the youtube video of some of the guys beating theirs together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfIPpgc_nHY
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the photos and for the video Tom! Is the I-Beam still offered by Gus or are they Chinese made now?
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes Gus does still make them right here in the good old US of A. here is a link to our catalog http://www.triedandtruearmory.com/ATrim-catalog.html

I don't know if Valiant Armoury is still handling the Chinese made ones or not. I haven't heard much about them lately. Maybe Sonny will chime in and let us know

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Angus Trim I-Beam Trainer photo request
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic