Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Smiths: I need some advice about tang modification Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Einar, you´ve got good advice from Sean and others.

It is good to remember that not all messers showed an exposed tang between the grip slabs. Quite a few had a hidden tang, in fact, with wood on all four sides. A hidden tang mess up the clear distinction of what is a messer, but it is true all the same.

I have seen several that have the whole grip assembly covered in leather. Exactly like a sword grip. Construction is completely hidden. The form is that same as those with exposed tang, but it is instead encased in leather. Even the rivets remain hidden in some examples.

This will give you quite a bit of freedom when you customize your blade.

...And thank you for kind words!

Thank you Peter, yes, the advice in this thread has been very welcome. thats what I love about this forum.

I was wondering about hidden tangs just a couple of days ago actually, while watching the youtube video of you making a messer with a hidden tang. (Cant wait to see the finished sword, btw) Are hidden tang messers still riveted?

Concerning the blade I am using, while its profile is pretty similar to some messers, the cross section is odd and probably very un-messer like. Its a flattened diamond with the false edge being completely blunt (about 2mm) all along the length of the blade. Its almost as if you took a Type XVIII, filed one edge blunt and forging a curve at the last third towards the tip. Are there any messers like that at all? I know some double edged blades have been reground into single edged backswords, but I dont think I've heard of straight swords being made into sabers. (unless we count the 13th Warrior. Wink )

- I cannot lift this

- Grow stronger
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me it sounds like you should look for another blade for your project instead. Perhaps your work is going to be wasted on something that is no good to start with?
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
To me it sounds like you should look for another blade for your project instead. Perhaps your work is going to be wasted on something that is no good to start with?

Fair point Happy, and yes I intend to make a more historical sword at some point, but for now, I have a blade with no hilt, and I do want to do something with it.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a strange section. Confused But, by coincidence, I'm currently studying this hilt for a project and I've thought the blade is about as odd as yours. It's hard to tell, but it almost looks like what you're describing. It appears to be intentional rather than sabering. Under magnification, in the lower third of the blade, you can see a significant transition from a flattened diamond or lenticular section to a thinner wedge or lenticular section, possibly associated with very narrow twin fullers. HH says it's lenticular (see below).

Attachment: 23.94 KB
10331_b.gif

Attachment: 67.25 KB
detail.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another anomaly--if the image wasn't accidentally mirrored, and if the cutting edge is to our right in this image, the hilt is either on the wrong way or the piece was made for left-handed use, which seems unlikely.

HH--"A German hand-and-a-half sword, circa 1520. Heavy blade of lenticular cross-section and small remnants of brass inlay at the forte. Curved, "S" shaped, helically grooved quillons with compressed knob finials. Grooved guard ring on one side. Well replaced leather-covered grip. Pear-shaped helically fluted pommel. Length 114 cm.
Condition: II-III Limit: 4000 EURO
no longer available

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
That is a strange section. Confused But, by coincidence, I'm currently studying this hilt for a project and I've thought the blade is about as odd as yours. It's hard to tell, but it almost looks like what you're describing. It appears to be intentional rather than sabering. Under magnification, in the lower third of the blade, you can see a significant transition from a flattened diamond or lenticular section to a thinner wedge or lenticular section, possibly associated with very narrow twin fullers. HH says it's lenticular (see below).

I've seen pics of that sword before, but I never realised it was curved. The curve looks quite subtle. Its a gorgeous sword, and I'd really like to see what you can make of it. Will yours be a more normal, straight blade?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

I've seen pics of that sword before, but I never realised it was curved. The curve looks quite subtle. Its a gorgeous sword, and I'd really like to see what you can make of it. Will yours be a more normal, straight blade?

I'm looking only at the guard and similar original grips (this one is modern). My blade is a big Type XVIII (below, left). Globular pommel of the "peeled orange" style. http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=23258

Attachment: 215.81 KB
swords_295.gif

-Sean

Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats going to be a looker, Sean Happy Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Good thing you're not a procrastinator as I am.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Smiths: I need some advice about tang modification
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: