Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Video: highlights from June 2011 cutting seminar Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Video: highlights from June 2011 cutting seminar         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here is a vid of some of the cutting seminar hosted by Kunstbruder earlier this month. Mostly it's me babbling, but it gives you an idea of some of the things I cover in a cutting class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geL7LYGXgUY

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great information. You don't happen to have the full unedited video do you? Keep them coming!

-Ian

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, sorry, most of the video got corrupted (I didn't take it, so don't ask me how!).

Besides, if I put up the whole seminar there will be no reason for people to invite me to do one for them, and I like to travel. Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
No, sorry, most of the video got corrupted (I didn't take it, so don't ask me how!).

Besides, if I put up the whole seminar there will be no reason for people to invite me to do one for them, and I like to travel. Happy

If you made a DVD scripted, edited, narrated ( Very good and clear audio track, I think you could sell them, and I would certainly buy them. Wink Big Grin . Not just cutting videos, but also general training videos ).

I really like the video you show here but I'm thinking of a professional video production with various camera angles, close ups, maybe slow motion and even maybe a bit of graphics/diagrams or animation. ( Well professional videographer + a decent budget for the shoot and post production ).

You certainly have the content and you are both interesting and fun to listen to. ( You would need professional lighting, story boarding/scripting, camera work and audio. Live audio and/or narration to minimize ambient sound: The right microphone can work wonders keeping ambient buzz or echoing down to low levels).

Oh, not a criticism by the way it's just that I just see some great potential here for making and selling DVDs and maybe actually for you to make a few dollars from it ! ( Live seminars are obviously a lot of fun and also very valuable experience if one can attend ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J. Helm

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting info and demonstration. Thanks for sharing.
William P

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

whats interesting that i keep seeing moreso is the fac that when doing a cut, its not justdownwards or upwards and pivoting the sword with your wrist, i.e the sort of movements used when trying to strike with a mace or an axe.
but that your also supposed to pull the blade back towards you as your cutting, to create

i nticed this when, using my accusharpe sharpened about half of the blade length (of 58cm which includes the 3 inch long ricasso) 440J stainless wallhanger jian, (dont worry i check the sword for rattle and damage frequently. )

point is that attempts to cut decently aside from making tiny nicks by using the top 5cm f the blade and tip to make tiny cuts, i wasnt able to cut large 3L juice bottles filled with water, BUT. once i applied that pulling motion i was able to almost cut through the whole bottle, a previously unheard of feat for me.
then again ive learnt pretty much all my cutting technique from videos just like this. including COP and blade to target alignement.

so dont think videos like that dont have their uses. people like me who are just trying to be 'good enough' find such little tips very helpful,.
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was a great class, and being able to use a properly sharpened blade (our School Albion Crecy was what I though was sharp) was a great help...

That damn piece of gambeson was irritating me for a few weeks...
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

Jean,

Meh, too much work. Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Thanks, guys.

Jean,

Meh, too much work. Happy

Yeah, obviously a pleasant and fun seminar then becomes a film production and, yes that is work, and not just on the day but in pre-production, shooting and post-production.

Helps to have a team and not have to do it all " solo " Wink Laughing Out Loud Oh, one suggestion though, even for very " Spartan " quick and dirty shoots, someone reasonably good on camera using a tripod and finding a good microphone and sound filters to get rid of the ambient sound. ( Need not be perfect studio quality sound but echoing can make understanding what is said challenging ).

Directional mic on a boom or a lavalier mic close to the speaker's mouth can make isolating the good audio from the annoying buzzing of light fixtures, air conditioning hummm ..... whatever.

Oh oh, replying seriously to your " semi-joking " reply. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good video Michael!

I also found another great one with your demo of how to roll and soak the mats. The flat stones and square box like that for soaking is a really good tip, I'll try that.

I usually tie with electrical tape, that works good too and is easy to cut through with a sharp blade.

BTW. I think Jeans idea for a video production would be great. I know it'd mean some work for you but you already got the talent and experience and others with less already produce and sell their stuff, would be a waste not to share yours.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Johan.

Something to think about, I guess, but I'm not entirely happy just dumping info on people. Knowledge in martial arts can't be given or taken, it has to be earned. You can read all the books, see all the videos and still not be able to do anything with it. So in making such videos, it would seem as if I'm helping people, but I'm not really sure that would be the case.

There is nothing worse for a student than fostering the illusion that he/she knows something they actually don't understand.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"If you can't cut with this..." priceless Happy .
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Thanks Johan.

You can read all the books, see all the videos and still not be able to do anything with it. So in making such videos, it would seem as if I'm helping people, but I'm not really sure that would be the case.

Well a good video still transmits the ideas well enough but doesn't replace a seminar with the instructor correcting for the kind of mistakes that one can't spot while trying to do the actions: By this I mean that often the picture in our minds about what we are doing doesn't match what we are actually doing.

A wall mirror can help with this as well as videotaping ones actions and then checking them out right after to check for form.

Also, an instructor can spot those little things that just can't be written about or shown in even the best instructional video. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

All that said, a good video is very much better than a 5 pic sequence in a book showing a technique with text to explain it.

If one has been to a seminar and received the hands on instruction then having a video to review and practice is good to have.

Oh, but at the extreme, if books or videos are useless then maybe nobody should make any and we should burn all the original period texts since by definition they would also be useless to learn anything ! Eek! Obviously not since the old texts plus a lot of experimentation/interpretations is all we have to work with ! Certainly if we could go back in time and bring back a period master he would probably be correcting a lot of our mistakes and we would learn a great deal more.

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
"If you can't cut with this..." priceless Happy .

The things is, I totally lied. Happy

That sword requires a lot less power than most other swords, but it requires every bit of technique that any other sword requires. So if your technique is off, even with that sword, you're not going to succeed.

The reason I brought that sword was in case we had a smaller person cutting and the heavy Brescia (3.5lbs) was too much for them, I could better diagnose issues if that person is holding a sword that doesn't create any issues of its own.

We had one girl in the class that just couldn't cut with the Brescia, and I couldn't see why. I gave her the L6, she botched a few, but I saw what the problem was, corrected, and she was then able to cut with the Brescia also.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Oh, but at the extreme, if books or videos are useless then maybe nobody should make any and we should burn all the original period texts since by definition they would also be useless to learn anything ! Eek! Obviously not since the old texts plus a lot of experimentation/interpretations is all we have to work with ! Certainly if we could go back in time and bring back a period master he would probably be correcting a lot of our mistakes and we would learn a great deal more.

If I honestly believed that making videos would help people, I'd do it. But I don't believe that it would.

3227a: "Also know and note that one cannot really talk about fencing in a meaningful manner or explain it with written words, as some might like. You can only show it and instruct it by hand. "

Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Video: highlights from June 2011 cutting seminar
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic