Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 'The Mermaid Sword' Austrian Naval Officer's sword from 1862 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Diana D

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: 'The Mermaid Sword' Austrian Naval Officer's sword from 1862         Reply with quote

I currently have a sword in my possession that is a valuable Austrian Naval Officer's Sword from 1862. It has a very nice patina and information on it can be found in 'Cut & Thrust Weapons' by Eduard Wagner. I've always referred to it as 'The Mermaid Sword', but other then that, I don't know much else about the sword itself. I do however have a copy of the page from 'Cut & Thrust Weapons' that the sword is featured on, but I do not currently have pictures of the sword itself. If anyone would be willing to help me out I'd be forever grateful. Thanks.

Attachment: 42.51 KB
mermaid sword s.JPG

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is not my area of collecting, therefore my resources are limited regarding this sword. The closest I can find is in Harvey Withers' World Swords, and he calls this sword an Austro-Hungarian Model 1850/1871 Naval Officer's Sword. If you register at www.oldswords.com (it's free), you can search their database for Austrian Navy swords and get some images of similar swords. I can't find any info on the origin of this pattern, but that's not to say it isn't out there--I just don't know where it is. You could try posting this sword on the Antique & Military subforum at www.swordforum.com . There are several people who frequent that forum who are more familiar with Continental military swords.

Good luck!

Jonathan

Added: If you need help posting images, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Jonathan Hopkins on Mon 14 May, 2007 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diana D

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried registering at www.swordforum.com, but every time I did, the registration image wouldn't come up. I tried getting in contact with the site, but I have yet to receive a reply. I also tried registering on another computer, but I came up with the same problem. I wonder if that's happening because they are still working on the forum or what. Thanks again for your help though.

~Diana
Peter Tanczos

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Never heard it called the Mermaid sword before, I can see why, but would have thought it more accurate to call it the "Neptune sword", as his face and trident also appear and are in integral part of the theme of the fittings and engravings

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 'The Mermaid Sword' Austrian Naval Officer's sword from 1862
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic