Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Beowulf movie......... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
it'll never come to the usa. waaaaa

The U.S release date is set for The end of march. It will be a limited release so I'll have to go to the angelica to see it, but see it I will.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Hisham Gaballa wrote:
Joel Chesser wrote:
Check this out!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/

Big Hollywood movie, big movie stars, that doesn't bode well. Remember "Troy"?

Another Beowulf film??? And played by Ray Winstone - good actor, but not exactly a huge box office draw, compared with some of the ultra-heavyweights listed. I wonder how major a character his Beowulf will really be in this Beowulf production?

What I wanna know is who the hell thought of casting Crispin Glover as Grendel - and Jolie as the Big Bad Mama? WTF?!

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
...What I wanna know is who the hell thought of casting Crispin Glover as Grendel - and Jolie as the Big Bad Mama? WTF?!
R.D.Simpson pointed out that Zemeckis will be using motion capture. In that case, perhaps Crispin Glover is an inspired choice. He is a fine actor, with a decidedly creepy streak.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Chuck Russell wrote:

The U.S release date is set for The end of march. It will be a limited release so I'll have to go to the angelica to see it, but see it I will.

Sorry, They lost their U.S. distributor. Most likely due to the 2007 film coming out here. The Zemeckis film I'm not to thrilled about. They start off by discribing it as a classic english poem. Isn't it a danish poem?
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Mike Capanelli wrote:
Chuck Russell wrote:

Sorry, They lost their U.S. distributor. Most likely due to the 2007 film coming out here. The Zemeckis film I'm not to thrilled about. They start off by discribing it as a classic english poem. Isn't it a danish poem?

If I remember correctly, the poem is written in Old English, but Beowulf's encounter with Grendel takes place in Denmark (or, at least, Hrothgar and his thanes are Danish).
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I saw it and I sort of liked it because it's not a big budget high CGI rollercoaster ride.

There is limited fighting some of it good like a flash back scene of Beowulf fighting numerous opponents and dispatching each with a quick well timed move including a " good " decapitation.

There is a scene were they are practice sword fighting that goes the clash / clash edge on edge swordsmanship that one wouldn't want to do with one's treasured sword. Eek! Bad enough using an edge parry when it's needed during a fight or accidentally, not so good if you practice this way every day. Evil Laughing Out Loud

All the fight scenes are small unit stuff: No armies of thousands which actually makes sense.

The story makes the point that the " monster " Grendel is actually honourable: Only attacking those who have wronged him.
Beowulf realizes that Grendel was the first injured party but semi-reluctantly feels that he has a job to do anyway as Grendel is killing off a lot of the Danish warriors.

Grendel seems to have the strength of many men but not at an impossible level. If I had to guess " Trolls " if reality based would have been genetic freaks or maybe left over Neanderthals ( Spelling ? ): At least this is what I think is suggested by the film.

At one point the King replies to Beowulf's questions about how this feud started: Why kill a Troll ??? Because he's a Troll ! Why not ??? I can see this in the historical context that in ancient / medieval times being strange or a stranger was reason enough to be killed and that with warrior cultures it just seems like the thing to do ! Beowulf at least questions these assumptions.

Getting back to the film: The language and accents make understanding what is being said difficult at time; A bit like some sort of attempt to give an ancient feel to the dialogue but at times just makes it hard to follow. This got better as I got used to it.
I would say this is more an art film than an action adventure and can be slower paced than what one is used to. ( Good thing in context. ) Oh, an Icelandic / Canadian co-production with all the good points of small quality production but with the limitations of small budgets. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Oh, the actors must have gone through a cold and damp HELL filming in real rain and in cold water.

Finally the caractors didn't seem to be worried about their maille and their sword getting wet and their cabbards filling up with seawater. Eek! Eek! Eek! No time out cleaning / oiling their armour after a good dunking ! Just put the wet sword into the wet scabbard WTF?! Laughing Out Loud Just added this last to horrify our scabbard makers out there. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Carl Goff

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Sorry, They lost their U.S. distributor.

Hmm. Despite this, we might be able to wait on the DVD release and then get it from some online retailer (Amazon's UK branch, maybe?).

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:
Mike Capanelli wrote:
Mike Capanelli wrote:
Chuck Russell wrote:

If I remember correctly, the poem is written in Old English, but Beowulf's encounter with Grendel takes place in Denmark (or, at least, Hrothgar and his thanes are Danish).

But Beowulf and his companions are Geats, and the Geats lived in what is now Sweden. Big Grin

I personally think that although the poem is written in Old English (or Anglo-Saxon), the story was probably widely known throughout North-Western Europe in the 6th and 7th centuries AD, however all the other versions have been lost.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
Mike Capanelli wrote:

Hmm. Despite this, we might be able to wait on the DVD release and then get it from some online retailer (Amazon's UK branch, maybe?).

Just watch out, because, in the US, you need an NTSC compatible recording, versus the PAL that they use in UK and (I think) the rest of Europe.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Quote:

But Beowulf and his companions are Geats, and the Geats lived in what is now Sweden. Big Grin

I personally think that although the poem is written in Old English (or Anglo-Saxon), the story was probably widely known throughout North-Western Europe in the 6th and 7th centuries AD, however all the other versions have been lost.

Yes, they are identified as Geats in the film and they come by boat to Denmark in a Viking style boat. ( Pre-Viking era ! )

Although, Beowulf is seen coming out of the sea wearing his armour ( Maille ) and sword and engages in conversation a fisherman who talk to him about the " Troll " problem. " " A hero comes in from the sea " is done very literally as he seems to arrive in Denmark by swimming there. Eek! Either trying to be very true to the original here or some strange editing makes this part confusing: Maybe I would get it if I saw this part again as he seem to arrive again this time in a ship ???

If I was more familiar with the original story I might be able to tell you for sure, but it seems that a decent attempt was made to be true to the story even if a few caractors may have been changed ? Like the witch is young and beautiful in the movie and maybe more of a hag in the poem ? ( Again excuse my lack of familiarity with the original poem )

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Carl Goff wrote:
Mike Capanelli wrote:

Just watch out, because, in the US, you need an NTSC compatible recording, versus the PAL that they use in UK and (I think) the rest of Europe.

Well if it comes out in DVD in Canada, being a Canadian co-production, that DVD will be NTSC North America compatible: So, you might be able to order it from up here?

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...Well if it comes out in DVD in Canada, being a Canadian co-production, that DVD will be NTSC North America compatible: So, you might be able to order it from up here?
You may be getting a lot of orders to fill, Jean! Laughing Out Loud
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: USA release......................         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...Well if it comes out in DVD in Canada, being a Canadian co-production, that DVD will be NTSC North America compatible: So, you might be able to order it from up here?
You may be getting a lot of orders to fill, Jean! Laughing Out Loud

Maybe I could buy them in bulk ( A dozen or two ) Ship them to Nathan or somebody else who would just reimburse me at cost and shipping and that person would deal with distributing them to individuals and collect from each.

I'm assuming here that there are no legal problem shipping DVDs in bulk without some sort of commercial license or some other bureaucratic stuff ! I don't want to be suddenly taxed for running a business or sued because I bypassing some sort of territorial distribution rights of some giant corporation !

On the other hand is it possible to order from a Canadian distributor single copies if one lives in the U.S.A. ?

Don't want to make a firm commitment at this time though: Willing to help if it doesn't become a big nuisance !

Andy Bain

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, the part where Beowulf is swimming ashore with a piece of wood isn't his arrival in Daneland. He's just survived either falling overboard or his boat sinking while hunting walrus with a friend/relative. He returns home and thats where he learns of the request for aid from King Hrothgar. Then he saills to Daneland with his men and you have the scene where they land and pull there boat ashore.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:
Jean, the part where Beowulf is swimming ashore with a piece of wood isn't his arrival in Daneland. He's just survived either falling overboard or his boat sinking while hunting walrus with a friend/relative. He returns home and thats where he learns of the request for aid from King Hrothgar. Then he saills to Daneland with his men and you have the scene where they land and pull there boat ashore.

Thanks it makes sense now. Big Grin Like I said in a previous post, the accents used in the film are really thick and for the first 1/3 of the film I had some difficulty understanding about half of what was being said.

Just seeing someone taking a swim wearing mail looked odd and I would imagine harder than without. Eek! Oh, and if he was holding on to a piece of wood also wasn't clear on first viewing.

Falling overboard or ship sinking may have been said and I sort of guessed it was something like this. Wink

Andy Bain

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, before we Canadians start talking about shipping DVDs down to our friends in the US we should decide just how big a profit margin we want. Wink Big Grin Razz
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:

Hmph. I had hoped it would be a reference to the swimming contest (armed and armoured) he talks of at the welcoming feast...

From Chapter VIII:

Beowulf spake, bairn of Ecgtheow: --
"What a deal hast uttered, dear my Unferth,
drunken with beer, of Breca now,
told of his triumph! Truth I claim it,
that I had more of might in the sea
than any man else, more ocean-endurance.
We twain had talked, in time of youth,
and made our boast, -- we were merely boys,
striplings still, -- to stake our lives
far at sea: and so we performed it.
Naked swords, as we swam along,
we held in hand, with hope to guard us
against the whales. Not a whit from me
could he float afar o'er the flood of waves,
haste o'er the billows; nor him I abandoned.
Together we twain on the tides abode
five nights full till the flood divided us,
churning waves and chillest weather,
darkling night, and the northern wind
ruthless rushed on us: rough was the surge.
Now the wrath of the sea-fish rose apace;
yet me 'gainst the monsters my mailed coat,
hard and hand-linked, help afforded, --
battle-sark braided my breast to ward,
garnished with gold. There grasped me firm
and haled me to bottom the hated foe,
with grimmest gripe. 'Twas granted me, though,
to pierce the monster with point of sword,
with blade of battle: huge beast of the sea
was whelmed by the hurly through hand of mine.

Chapter IX then begins with some of my favorite lines in the poem: Happy

Me thus often the evil monsters
thronging threatened. With thrust of my sword,
the darling, I dealt them due return!
Nowise had they bliss from their booty then
to devour their victim, vengeful creatures,
seated to banquet at bottom of sea;
but at break of day, by my brand sore hurt,
on the edge of ocean up they lay,
put to sleep by the sword. And since, by them
on the fathomless sea-ways sailor-folk
are never molested. -- Light from east,
came bright God's beacon; the billows sank,
so that I saw the sea-cliffs high,
windy walls. For Wyrd oft saveth
earl undoomed if he doughty be!
And so it came that I killed with my sword
nine of the nicors. Of night-fought battles
ne'er heard I a harder 'neath heaven's dome,
nor adrift on the deep a more desolate man!
Yet I came unharmed from that hostile clutch,
though spent with swimming. The sea upbore me,
flood of the tide, on Finnish land,
the welling waters.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
...What I wanna know is who the hell thought of casting Crispin Glover as Grendel - and Jolie as the Big Bad Mama? WTF?!
R.D.Simpson pointed out that Zemeckis will be using motion capture. In that case, perhaps Crispin Glover is an inspired choice. He is a fine actor, with a decidedly creepy streak.

Well, as long as they don't do it actually like Polar Express. That thing was just creepy throughout... *shudder*

And yes, Glover is definitely a fine actor. "Creepy thin man" indeed. Big Grin

Still, I'd expect Jolie to be somewhat, well, jarring. Unless, of course, they go the route taken by the steampunk-ish Chris Lambert Beowulf from the '80s (in which the mommy is a succubus-like seductress)...

Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.sarasotafilmfestival.com/films34-8-0-0-0-0-0.php

March 31 – April 9 = Sarasota Film Festival (Florida)

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

Well, as long as they don't do it actually like Polar Express. That thing was just creepy throughout... *shudder*

Unfortunately, that appears to be exactly how they're doing it. Worried

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Beowulf movie.........
Page 6 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: