Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Lost Oakeshott" XIIIb tribute Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Cornelis Tromp wrote:
I am the owner of the Original

Now here is something that leaves wondering...and a bit envious too. Any other treasures such as this one you'd be willing to share with us Cornelis? Happy More shots of this one would be great too!

J

Check this thread:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Sean O Stevens

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow... BEEFY. Eek!

I've never seen anything like it... I feel somewhat mesmerized. A VERY interesting and unique blade... now where can I scare up 1300 bucks? Razz
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wanted to bump the topic and mention that the 10% discount and free shipping will expire today at midnight. Thanks again Happy
Chris J Robinson

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Magnificent sword         Reply with quote

This is a very fine looking blade, I would love to see a matching two handed XIII, that would be a truly fearsome weapon!
Richard Furrer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Thank you for all the comments!

Hopefully this one doesn't sell so I can bring it out to Ashokan.

Happy

I believe what Michael means is that he hopes the owner of this piece of art will also attend Ashokan so he/she can display his/her new purchase.

Ric

Ric Furrer
Sturgeon Bay, WI
www.doorcountyforgeworks.com
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cornelis Tromp wrote:
Hi Michael,

I am the owner of the Original and I am POSITIVE amazed by your great achievement. so must the sword have been like 800 years ago.It looks heavy and solid but actually is very swift and feels light in the hand.
I'm not normally not so interested in subsequent reproductions but I realize that your skill to make this masterpiece has changed it drastically. I know how thin the blade must be to achieve this weight.

This type of broad XIIIb is along with the 2 centuries later and probably out of this type further developed typeXVIIIC the most effective and efficient cutting sword there is.

absolutely great performance! your sword is unique and desirable.

best,
Jasper

I don't think you could give this sword a better compliment then the the above comment from the owner of the original. I can't believe it's still available.

Winter is coming
Robert Brandt

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
the pommel is kind of my interpretation of the original from the angle shot in the original thread. I went into Photoshop and I lighten the image and increased the contrast and I found that the pommel was a little wider where it met the grip, and then slightly tapered. It is hard to tell from the images exactly what the pommels surface is profiled like but I took some artistic license and combined the info I knew with some time at the grinder and figured out what looked and felt right Happy

This is absolutely my favorite aspect of this gorgeous sword. Just what I like to see in a modern recreation that isn't trying to be an exact copy of an original, artistic license executed in an entirely plausible fashion to arrive at a unique work of art. While this precise sword may never have been seen by modern eyes before, no one could argue it that it wouldn't have fit seemlessly into the fabric of medieval warfare.

Michael Pikula wrote:
The shot of the original shows that I put a little too much curve in the surface of the pommel, a detail to be corrected next time.

Pah! Your blade isn't a slavish copy of the original, why the pommel ;-)

History was certainly far more complex, varied, and intriguing than the blanket of generalities that we so often lay over our handful of surviving data points.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somebody buy this one fast because I'm feeling myself starting to weaken. ( If it hasn't sold yet ).

If it has been sold, I might wait a bit more and then break down and commission one. ( I only hesitate because the timing is not great financially ..... but it's nagging at me ! Wink Big Grin Laughing Out Loud )

I'm giving it a week, and if it's still there, I'm going to re-evaluate if I can afford it. Wink

EDITED: Just checked on Michael's web site and it seems to still be available. Wink
http://michaelssmithy.com/Michaels_Smithy/Ava...XIIIb.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Eric G.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Somebody buy this one fast because I'm feeling myself starting to weaken. ( If it hasn't sold yet ).

If it has been sold, I might wait a bit more and then break down and commission one. ( I only hesitate because the timing is not great financially ..... but it's nagging at me ! Wink Big Grin Laughing Out Loud )

I'm giving it a week, and if it's still there, I'm going to re-evaluate if I can afford it. Wink

EDITED: Just checked on Michael's web site and it seems to still be available. Wink
http://michaelssmithy.com/Michaels_Smithy/Ava...XIIIb.html

I've been dreaming of this sword. Seriously, I go back to Michael's page just to look at it again every so often. I love the blade width and the profile taper and the pommel... especially the pommel. I just like the whole thing.

Just buy it and make a really good video and take some pictures. Be sure and PM me when you do!

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael: E-mail sent.

Should have some news to tell as soon as I get a reply from Michael. Wink Big Grin

Rusty Thomas

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,
I wish you the best of luck with that amazing sword. I'm sure you can't wait to here back about this one. But I should tell you I missed this entire thread until today due to the fact that I was moving out of the country. You have NO idea how close you were to loosing this one! :-) Keep us informed about it!!! I am supremely jealous!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rusty Thomas wrote:
Jean,
I wish you the best of luck with that amazing sword. I'm sure you can't wait to here back about this one. But I should tell you I missed this entire thread until today due to the fact that I was moving out of the country. You have NO idea how close you were to loosing this one! :-) Keep us informed about it!!! I am supremely jealous!

Well, Michael just e-mailed so the purchase is now official.

Rusty, you might consider having Michael make you a similar one as I think he intends to keep on making some more of the same design and perfect it. Wink Big Grin Cool

Also a chance to suggest modifications to the design you might like or just let Michael do the designing but maybe suggest some general things you might like a little different.

Michael will have the sword long enough to take it to to the Ashokan Swordmakers seminar as he will be making me a simple wood core scabbard for storage purposes similar to the one in the review of one of his swords that was posted yesterday: So he will be able to show it off to other smiths and maybe we will all get the impressions of this sword from other top makers attending the seminar.

I am looking forward to having it but I can wait a month but happily enough for others to get to see it. Big Grin Cool

Rusty Thomas

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,
I am in contact with Michael. Your sword will have a "Sister Sword" now!!!! It doesn't appear that he will change much to the design and I’m leaving that all up to him. After you get yours in you will have to post your thoughts on it! I'm glad Michael is staying busy in this econemy!
Luka Borscak

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very glad this sword I would love to have if I had enough money is sold to Jean, I know he will appreciate it, and I'm also glad other is being made, big XIIIb swords are sooo under-represented in the market...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I'm very glad this sword I would love to have if I had enough money is sold to Jean, I know he will appreciate it, and I'm also glad other is being made, big XIIIb swords are sooo under-represented in the market...

I remember seeing a drawing of this sword or a very similar one (The original one ) in " Sword In Hand " by Oakeshott and being jaw dropping surprised by it's proportions and sort of thinking of having one custom made but didn't act on the idea at the time and sort of forgot about it.

When I saw Michael's version I was certainly interested and resisted temptation for a couple of months but obviously " weakened " as funds where available without getting into debt. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Michael's prices for the quality of the work are very very low and I figured I'd better buy one or more of his swords before he takes off and his prices due to high demand and only so much time to make sword will double or triple his prices as well as wait times becoming longer.

And yes there are not too many Type XIIIB out there of any quality level: None I know of in the low to medium end production swords or even the higher end production sword like Del-Tin.

The only one I know of is the excellent Albion Tritonia but this one is of the " Extremely Wide " blade type that even makes the Tritonia look narrow bladed. ( Really like my Tritonia by the way and highly recommend it also ).

Really pleased that Rusty is ordering a " Sister " sword and helping keeping a great to awesome maker in " rent money " and in business during a challenging time. ( Those who have the funds available, and where it wouldn't be a hardship should encourage with orders their favourite makers who have great talent and have shown good customer service ).

I also had the problem of choosing this sword over another available sword by Michael that is also highly desirable: A Castillion inspired Type XVIII, the Pattern Welded Migration Sword is unfortunately a bit too expensive for me but for the type of work really worth the price.

http://michaelssmithy.com/Michaels_Smithy/Ava...e_Now.html

Also, a serious plus for me is that Michael cares a great deal that his swords not only look pretty, are close to historically accurate in appearance but uses the best materials available to produce a superior using sword that he quality tests to be sure they will perform and be as robust as possible in normal use. He also avoid overbuilding where overbuilding would give negative handling qualities.

Still, from the piece I already have from Michael they are as " railroad engineered " as much as possible consistent with what I wrote above about handling correctly. ( Anyway that is my opinion. Wink Big Grin ).

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Magnificent sword         Reply with quote

Chris J Robinson wrote:
This is a very fine looking blade, I would love to see a matching two handed XIII, that would be a truly fearsome weapon!

Chris, within a week your call will be answered in the most ridiculous way possible Wink

Thank you so very much for all the comments and feedback as of late! I have agreed to make a simple scabbard for this blade, and a sister blade will be getting underway as well. These really wide and thin blades are actually really really fun to make and they respond so well to mass removal. There is a certain point when the blade just comes to life on its own and it tells you when it is right. As the final finish is applied and the shape refined it wakes up even more and it is super important to feel it out and know how to find this point since it is very easy to over build these blades. It is remarkable how thin you can get a blade that is around 3" wide and still have the sucker be sturdy and solid, all while having a good chunk on mass behind your cut. There will be more XIII's to come..... Stay tuned
Rusty Thomas

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Magnificent sword         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Chris J Robinson wrote:

Chris, within a week your call will be answered in the most ridiculous way possible Wink

Now your just being silly Mr. Pikula...and yet I feel giddy with anticipation waiting to see this one!!!

What I like is the fact that you seem to be enjoying making and experimenting with this type of sword so much! Can't wait to see what's next!
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hell I know I'm excited to see a XIII from you Mike. I don't think I've ever seen a Longsword made by you so that alone is cool. I can't wait to see the pictures.
Winter is coming
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike and all,

It has been interesting to follow this thread, and I am happy to see that the sword is about to find a home and also that a sister will see the light of day. :-)

I am not sure if you guys at this forum know about the Ashokan Blade Smith Seminar:

http://www.ashokanknifeseminar.com/

It is held on the weekend 16th-18th September, and will draw blade smiths from around the States, Canada and Europe. I shall attend and hold two presentations on documentation of originals and design principles of the medieval sword. Along with me I shall bring a reconstruction of an original, that was found broken in the Fyris river back in the 19th C. It is another of these very broad bladed swords and would be roughly contemporary to the "Lost Oakeshott XIII".

If you can set aside time and make the trip to Ashokan, I am certain you will not regret it. There will be opportunity to see work of some of the best blade smiths, with talks and demos on various aspects of the making of the sword.

And now I turn to you to ask a favor: Knowing that the Lost Oakeshott is on its way to a new home, It would stil be very nice if Mike could first bring it along to the Ashokan seminar. I would love to see it side by side with the Fyris River sword. They are somehow of the same spirit, and I am certain there are many other blade smiths beside me who would love to get an opportunity to see such a sword.
Jean, perhaps you would consider attending the Ashokan seminar and if so bring your lovely sword along?

Below some snapshots of the Fyris River sword, one with it alongside some "normal" swords to give you a sense of scale (even though the long slim sword is unusually long for its type):

Attachment: 35.87 KB
DSC00047_2.jpg

Attachment: 62.25 KB
DSC00065.jpg

Rusty Thomas

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Johnsson
It looks like Mr. Pikula will be bringing along "Jean's Sword" to the Ashokan. I know I personally appreciate his generosity as I am sure he is very anxious to get this sword in hand. Also thank you Mr. Johnsson for letting us know exactly what the Ashokan is about and for bringing along "your?" reconstruction. This is surely a very exciting time for all those interested in these swords. So thanks to you Mr. Johnsson and to Mr. Pikula and also to Jean. I am looking forward to hearing what comes from the Ashokan.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Lost Oakeshott" XIIIb tribute
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: