Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Any Experience with Yeshua's Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Any Experience with Yeshua's Sword?         Reply with quote

I found this company not too long ago (it's been a few months) and needless to say, I'm very impressed with what I've seen. However, I don't know too much about them aside from the pictures available on the site, and I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with this company, be it good or bad:

http://yeshuas-sword.com/index.html

...Needless to say, I'm hopeful to hear of good feedback, because the workmanship, again, looks outstanding. I'm very hopeful for companies such as this one, not only due to the relative locale of the company, but for the fact that the aim of the company seems to be on building practical, functional weapons rather than just reproductions (which also happen to be practical and functional). That said, is there anything to note?
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My experience with Ernie was nothing but good. He was communicative throughout the process and regularly updated me with photos showing his progress. His work is of a high standard and very reasonably priced for the quality. If you send him an Albion bare blade, he can make you something at least as good as an Albion and at 1/3 the price.

Here are some photos of the sword he made me and a scabbard by Jonathan at Crusader Monk.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's absolutely outstanding! Does he do any blade work himself, or just the pommelty and woodworking? I'm thinking that at minimum, I may have to comission a waster from this gentleman in the future if that works in my favor.

Needless to say, I've never considered Albion bare blades before, but that seems to be a great option for the poor swordsman (most likely, most of us, myself included). Considering how expensive Albions are from the launch, the price difference for a treated blade by itself is... most surprising.

...As an aside, I'm not certain why Albions are as expensive as they are. As the manufacturing process is far more mechanized than say, Arms and Armor, it really does make me wonder. At the same time, the up-front cost of that kind of machinery, maintaining it, and what have you, could certainly drive the cost up (as well as any hand finishing). I understand the price for design work as well, which those swords are noted for... but, after a point, all of that data becomes G-code pumped into a milling machine. It's an interesting set of things to consider.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael, AFAIK he doesn't make blades from scratch at the moment. He will heavily re-work and finish blades though. The Albion I sent him was 'in the raw', as it were and needed to be finished and have the profile finalized. Ernie will also cut existing blades to new lengths, create a longer tang etc.

I think the level of research and refinement of profile that goes in to an Albion is the chief reason they cost what they do; they really are some of the best in those regards.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Brian Downing

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have dealt with Yeshua swords as well and I can't say enough good things about him. Ernie was great to work with. He asked a lot of good questions to make sure he did exactly what I wanted and communicated with me every step of the way. The level of quality was excellent and he finished before his deadline.
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ernie is, in my opinion, the BEST, most TALENTED machinist & craftsman that I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with (multiple times). His machine work is PRECISE, and OUTSTANDING... but there is MORE. Not every machinist is also an artist, craftsman, and knowledgeable in the sword realm. Ernie IS. I have built up multiple swords using items he has crafted, working WITH him to obtain items to insure proper balance and aesthetics.

This man is one of the rare GENIUSES of the sword world.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dean F. Marino wrote:
Not every machinist is also an artist, craftsman, and knowledgeable in the sword realm.

You're absolutely right, Dean. If you look at the wood work he does on handle's and sheaths you will be blown away. He also makes really stunning guitars!

Johan Elder

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd recommend Ernie as well.

Pleasure to deal with and the work is very well executed.

I had him make me some fittings for a Hanwei Tinker longsword bare blade, which I converted to a hot peen and made a grip for it. Scabbard is in the works.

William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I currently have a sword custom with Ernie that will be finished soon. Bought a Bruce Brookhart sword with a Raven Armoury type X blade and sent it to Ernie to remount with Viking fittings I selected from a historical sword. Look forward to the finished product. Communication has been excellent.
Non Timebo Mala
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a new pommel and guard that Ernie put on a Tinker blunt blade. Great job, good price, done in reasonable time.

Attachment: 97.79 KB
ty3s.jpg

Attachment: 98.51 KB
ty7s.jpg

Ray Harrington

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I highly recommend Ernie. I got one of his 1st scabbards, when he sold his ATrim 1520.

And he made me this mortuary hilt sword.

He also made a handle for one of my daggers.

Ernie, as also done work for my friends too. One friend of mine had him put a distal tapper on his DSA.

It looks like he might also me making blades?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=466059240155687&set=a.466059190155692.1073741835.202986696462944&type=1&relevant_count=4
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Elder wrote:

I had him make me some fittings for a Hanwei Tinker longsword bare blade, which I converted to a hot peen and made a grip for it. Scabbard is in the works.

Aw, you did what I was thinking of doing some day. Wink I was thinking of doing it and then posting pictures on here to see if anyone would notice it wasn't actually an Albion.

Looking at the website, would it be safe to assume you probably paid around $120-$135 or so for that work?

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
My experience with Ernie was nothing but good. He was communicative throughout the process and regularly updated me with photos showing his progress. His work is of a high standard and very reasonably priced for the quality. If you send him an Albion bare blade, he can make you something at least as good as an Albion and at 1/3 the price.

Here are some photos of the sword he made me and a scabbard by Jonathan at Crusader Monk.

Where does he get his designs? That hilt looks familiar somehow.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Ian Hutchison wrote:

Where does he get his designs? That hilt looks familiar somehow.

This was a custom that I commissioned based on a find in Germany. The plate is from Marko Aleksic's paper 'SWORDS WITH POMMELS OF TYPE N' Unlike the original, mine uses a Type X blade because that is what I had from Albion.

Attachment: 72.65 KB
[ Download ]

J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
This was a custom that I commissioned based on a find in Germany. The plate is from Marko Aleksic's paper 'SWORDS WITH POMMELS OF TYPE N' Unlike the original, mine uses a Type X blade because that is what I had from Albion.

Yes, the original is a type XII and has a concavity under the pommel, although one could imagine a type X blade being re-hilted like this in the 13th century. Nevertheless, its a handsome looking replica, especially for the price you say you paid.

I was making a bit of a subtle poke at my avatar before. Here's my version of the sword from A&A:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21804
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22763
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Ian Hutchison wrote:

Yes, the original is a type XII and has a concavity under the pommel, although one could imagine a type X blade being re-hilted like this in the 13th century. Nevertheless, its a handsome looking replica, especially for the price you say you paid.

I was making a bit of a subtle poke at my avatar before. Here's my version of the sword from A&A:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21804
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22763

Not to derail the thread but your sword is great, I think I remember your original topic and was very excited to see it. I've always loved this design (and most N/O types).

Robert Muse

PostPosted: Sun 23 Feb, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Ernie         Reply with quote

Ernie has repaired a three swords for me and made a scabbard and a handle for an Owen Bush seax. His work is if possible getting even better. But he is getting a real backlog. My latest project has been with him since last spring.

But the work is outstanding and he a nice guy to deal with. His growing backlog of evidence shows proof of is quality and prices.

Robert
Jason McEntee

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dean F. Marino wrote:
Ernie is, in my opinion, the BEST, most TALENTED machinist & craftsman that I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with (multiple times). His machine work is PRECISE, and OUTSTANDING... but there is MORE. Not every machinist is also an artist, craftsman, and knowledgeable in the sword realm. Ernie IS. I have built up multiple swords using items he has crafted, working WITH him to obtain items to insure proper balance and aesthetics.

This man is one of the rare GENIUSES of the sword world.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Ernie is a pleasure to do business with, and his work is nothing short of outstanding.
He made a fishtail pommel for my H/T Early Medieval, and did a fantastic blade regrind on my DSA Excalibur...
Quote:
Ray Harrington wrote:
Ernie, as also done work for my friends too. One friend of mine had him put a distal tapper on his DSA.

This is the one mentioned above by Ray Harrington. Ernie put the proper distal taper onto what started as a thick
slab of steel.

[img][/img]

"You see, a sword is three feet of tempered steel---with death dancing on every inch, and hanging like a dark star on the very point."
--Ronald Lacey, as Oswald, from Sword Of The Valiant, 1984
Metin Emre Gurbuz

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ernie is one of the best and most talented in this business. He can fix, remodel, reshape, change or make from scratch. He also makes blades now.
William Alexander Elder

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ernie is absolutely fantastic. I figure you know that by now, but I wanted to get on the "brag about my Yeshua piece" train, too. I bought an Albion La Tene blade, managed to butcher the last inch and a quarter by trying to hilt it myself, and then found Ernie. I sent him the blade and a sketch based on an image I found on SFI. Less than three months later, my absolute favorite sword arrived on my doorstep. Is it historically accurate? Not sure, don't care, doesn't matter. Ernie gave me EXACTLY what I was looking for, and then had the audacity to thank ME for giving him a project outside the norm! How can you top that? As my father would say, Ernie is a gentleman and a scholar.

Attachment: 6.69 KB
imagesAFY63R2D.jpg
SFI source image

Attachment: 238.08 KB
Finished product [ Download ]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Any Experience with Yeshua's Sword?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: