Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > vervelles or not vervelles, that's the question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: vervelles or not vervelles, that's the question         Reply with quote

Hi.
To improve my mid XIVth. cen. harness, I was looking for a godd combat helm, and not the usual grat helm, but this time I'll go definitely for a visored bascinet.
I found this very well looking reporduction from armory marek (h 33, the first one) that looks very similar to this kind here rapresented.
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/holkham-bible/164/
For what I've seen, there are no vervelles and the knights use a camail.
But here comes the problem: there is another miniature where there is a similar helm http://manuscriptminiatures.com/romance-of-al...y-264/44/, in where I assume that the tiny white dots rapresents the vervelles.
So, the reproduction by marek should or shouldn't go with vervelles?
Thank's fot the attention.

Armourer-Artist-Blacksmith
www.magisterarmorum.com

Pinterest albums to almost all existing XIVth century armour.

Pinterest albums on almost all existing XVth century Italian armour.

Last edited by Augusto Boer Bront on Tue 14 Jun, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my option its a where and when question. By that I mean that the armour in Romance of Alexander is later in the evolutionary path of 14 century armour. Notice the extensive use of plate limb defenses on everybody where in the Holkham bible it much rarer, really only seen on people wearing crowns. I don't think these two source show the same "evolutionary snap shot".

So, do you want to look like someone from the Holkham bible, lots of maile or do you want look like someone from Romance of Alexander with nice limb defense?

Here are some more images of vervelles in Romance of Alexander

Attachment: 61.16 KB
roa_clinch_it_vervelles.jpg

Attachment: 95.18 KB
roa_vervelles.jpg

Attachment: 83.48 KB
roa_vervelles_2.jpg

Attachment: 70.38 KB
roa_vervelles_3.jpg

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not think that most of the images show vervelles but show sewn in liners or something. Clearly there are some instances that likely do but I think it looks to be the less common method around that time.

Keep in mind that picture from the Holkham shows Bannockburn which took place in 1314, so might not be up to date for 1320s.

RPM
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, that's my kit (sorry for the small pics, but these are the only two I have)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/74775924.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/io2h.jpg/

The fact is that I want to use early plate gauntlets (and here it comes marek again) like the g15 http://www.armorymarek.com/gauntlets and tight splinted defences.
So you say that I could use both, camail or aventail, dependig only on how late my persona would be?

www.magisterarmorum.com

Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to admit that cherry picked images from Romance of Alexander that showed what could be vervelles because Augusto's initial post mentioned vervelles and I did not think I would find them in the Romance.

Personally I think that the image Augusto originally posted shows what Randall suggests, a sewn liner of some kind.

mackenzie
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could wear a padded coif, mail coif and your sugar loaf and I'd see nothing incorrect about it with or without those gauntlets.... which I think work very well for the period.

The move from mail coif to aventail is a hard one. I have figured until 1330s-1340 it was not done much if at all and you have to figure the transition would be increasing during the decades till the late 1350s you see a fair amount of artwork that likely shows them. It is really is a hard one.

And then of course if you have an aventail they can be sewn in so vervelles are still not required and are likely later additions. The Luttrel Psalter of the man himself seems to show an aventail on a bascinet but to my eyes they look like it is sewn in.

RPM
Augusto Boer Bront
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Then I'll go for the camail. The sewn aventail seems a work too hard to do and I have no idea how to do it.
Thanks for the advice and the petience Big Grin Big Grin .

www.magisterarmorum.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > vervelles or not vervelles, that's the question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic