Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Handling of Bronze Age swords. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
Is there any evidence for them on Naue II's or Mindelheims? Do you have any ideas on what would be the most historically plausible way to incorporate one?

Not that I know of, but it seems easy enough to tie a rope around the handle. The big pommel will surely keep it from falling off, and the waisted grip will keep it from sliding too much.

Interesting thing about the pommel. I had not noticed it before on Urnfield swords.

Interestingly, my tulwar has almost exactly the same pommel, including knob with hole... But I have to admit to having no clue about the purpose of this hole either. It seems a bit small for a lanyard.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
One final thing would help me quantify all of these subjective impressions. I get the feeling that the forward pivot point (relative to the shoulders) should be somewhere near the broadest part of the blade. Does that sound correct? Given the measurements Craig provided, that is where I would guess it should fall.

I'd be glad knowing about that too Happy
Based on what I have observed on swords so far, I'd guess it would be about 16.5in from the guard, no closer. Interestingly that would give a blade presence quite similar to a spatha reproduction that I have measured previously. That would be just in front of the widest part of the blade...

That's what I would expect, note, it doesn't mean that it's the truth Big Grin

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It makes intuitive sense to me that the widest part of the blade is wide BECAUSE that is where the forward pivot point is. That way you get both more mass at the COP (relative to the shoulders) and more distance from edge to midrib, allowing a more acute geometry. The example Craig posted above reaches its greatest width at only 13.25 " from the hilt, barely over half the blade length and only 6.75" from the COG. So maybe they don't necessarily need to match up exactly, but should probably be pretty close to one another. Also, I notice that the distal taper goes convex starting at 15". So overall, I would say 16.5-17" is probably a really good guess.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Handling of Bronze Age swords.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: