Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longsword sparring observation & question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Mike O'Hara

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you fine gentlemen regarding the winning and the way of it. I am much more interested in winning the fight by something simple, repeatable and undefendable. I realise I am highly unlikely to be attacked in the street by a sword wielding opponent but I am really interested in 'training to reflex' so that I am unconsciously moving to a well defended position and being able to attack from there.

Quote:

Dustin R said
Personally, I believe the more "boring" subtleties of footwork, balance, distance, and control are what true skill-at-arms consists of. These skills cross style boundaries

I am with Dustin on this one.

Interestingly enough I was talking to some folk down here who work in the movie industry and one of the reasons what we do doesn't play in the movies is the best techniques are nearly invisible - they are too small/subtle to be picked up on camera.

I do take the point about learning lots of different ways - a point Jean was making - but right now and my (low) level of capability I want to have a very solid foundation.

cheers

mike

MIke O'Hara
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dustin R. Reagan wrote:
1:58 - unorthodox take-down

Please note that these are not completely "textbook" (though the sword-taking at 0:48 is close), since I am left-handed, it changes some of the mechanics a bit.

Dustin

Not that unorthodox, looks like a Tawara Gaeshi executed slightly to the side to minimise harm.
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Dustin R. Reagan wrote:
1:58 - unorthodox take-down

Please note that these are not completely "textbook" (though the sword-taking at 0:48 is close), since I am left-handed, it changes some of the mechanics a bit.

Dustin

Not that unorthodox, looks like a Tawara Gaeshi executed slightly to the side to minimise harm.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant unorthodox with respect to any of the wrestling-at-the-sword techniques that I know of from the Liechtenauer KDF.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should have also been more clear, on re-reading my (rather too short) post, I realise that it could be read as being snarky and/or criticle. I was actually trying to be complimentory. Looking at that video it is obvious that you train in a way to genuinely learn more about the art you are practicing, and the fact that you naturally did one of the 64 kodokan throws from judo shows that you have a good sense of how human bodies react, and how to let your own "do its thing".

Unless of course you actually do Judo or a related art, in which case my compliment switches to "love how you used a technique from a different art at that moment when it was perfectly appropriate". Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longsword sparring observation & question
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: