Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Edged weapons at the assualt on Copenhagen, 1659 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tormod Engvig

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Edged weapons at the assualt on Copenhagen, 1659         Reply with quote

Hi again,

I stumbled over this old postcard rendering of Swedish and Danish-Norwegian troops clashing at the walls of Copenhagen during the failed Swedish assault on the city in 1659.

Depicted among the halberds and pikes one can clearly see several images of swords. Does anyone have any comments as to what type and style of sword would have been in use at the time, especially regarding the weapons depicted here? I have difficulty making out details due to the small size of the image, so I will leave the floor open to you experts as to exactly what types of swords these are/could be. Pappenheimer cut-and-thrusts, perhaps?

Tormod

Attachment: 30.34 KB
Copenhagen1659jpeg.JPG

Olof Nilsson

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take a look at http://www.armemuseum.org/foremal/blankvapen/varja/varja.html
There are a couple of different models from the early 1600 that could fit..
However, the link only shows some Swedish models..
Stefan Toivonen

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Olof Nilsson wrote:
Take a look at http://www.armemuseum.org/foremal/blankvapen/varja/varja.html
There are a couple of different models from the early 1600 that could fit..
However, the link only shows some Swedish models..

Thanks for the link to that page. Have tried in the past to find some pictures of swedish weapons but have really not found anything good. Do you know if there are any books/sites dedicated to swedish weapons that I might read more about them?
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been studying Renaissance era weapons for about 12 years, and I don't think you're going to find much on distinctly "Swedish" designs. They are pretty firmly entrenched in the "Saxon" school of military thought and style, and will pretty much reflect the same weapon styles as the Hapsburg-influenced regions (Germany/Austria/Spain/Holland/Switzerland).

It is also quite possible that the Swedish arms may have even been coming from Germany (they were after all providing damn near everyone else their blades... Happy

I'm not thinking the search will be too fruitful, but good luck, and I'd love to hear what you find,
Matthew
Stefan Toivonen

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Kelty wrote:
I've been studying Renaissance era weapons for about 12 years, and I don't think you're going to find much on distinctly "Swedish" designs. They are pretty firmly entrenched in the "Saxon" school of military thought and style, and will pretty much reflect the same weapon styles as the Hapsburg-influenced regions (Germany/Austria/Spain/Holland/Switzerland).

It is also quite possible that the Swedish arms may have even been coming from Germany (they were after all providing damn near everyone else their blades... Happy

I'm not thinking the search will be too fruitful, but good luck, and I'd love to hear what you find,
Matthew

Ok, maybe I should have said swedish made swords instead, from the 17th century forward. Like more information on "Wira bruk" that was founded in 1630:ies and the weapons they made.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Edged weapons at the assualt on Copenhagen, 1659
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic