Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Flying with maille? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Flying with maille?         Reply with quote

Need a quick answer if possible, anyone know if you would have problems bringing a haubergeon in a carry on bag? Id prefer not to check it and have it not show up at my destination. Thanks in advance.

Ian

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Ben C.

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It would depend on the carrier but most airlines I've gone with would probably have an issue with you carrying it in your hand luggage. Potential security issues aside most airlines tend to restrict carry-on bags to a total weight of 15-20 pounds maximum.
Andrew W

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've done it without a problem. The mail looks odd on the xray, so they unpacked my entire bag, but they didn't have a problem with the mail and let me pack it up again. I also had a helmet in the bag. I was flying Delta out of Gainesville.

I asked this question on the armour archive forums before I flew, and a number of others also said that they've flown with mail without a problem.
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had baggage handlers almost destroy my checked baggage looking for mail because it looked suspicious on the x-ray (full details in another thread around here somewhere) ... however, some mail wrapped up in a piece of material would make a fearsome weapon ... even a small piece brings to mind 'ye olde snooker ball in sock trick', which a security guard worth their pay would realise ...

Personally, I'd check with the airline first. Nothing worse than a confiscation at an airport where they don't have a postbox on site to mail your incredibly dangerous nailclippers home ...

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Last edited by Mark T on Sat 21 May, 2011 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about wearing the maille ( Smaller haubergeon maybe like my 8 pound stainless one made by " The Ring Lord " for example ) ? Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproduc...1580179984

Only half joking since this very small ring stainless welded maille shirt can be worn under outer clothing or even a shirt as a " secrète ": Done it a few times, not so much for " protection ", but as extra weight when taking a long walk as exercise and to get used to the weight of it and honestly also just out of curiosity to see if anyone would notice in public.

Did it once to just show it off to someone and it seemed less annoying/cumbersome than carrying it in a bag.

Anyway, back to travelling: This would sort of bypass any carry on weight maximum issues but I assume that it would raise eyebrows and get one very special attention from the security screeners ! Can't even imagine how the metal detectors would be " screaming " louder than usual not to mention to " peeping Tom " high tech scanners that can show your " junk " to anyone looking at the monitor displays ....... Wink Razz Razz Laughing Out Loud

Not recommending it by the way, just curious if anyone ever tried travelling will maille worn on their body !?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ian. This inquiry is in the category of no matter how opinions you get it doesn't really matter. I don't think there is a specific TSA policy on mail in carry ons nor training of TSA personnel for it so your best bet is to make more formal inquiry with them at your airport. for example you might get through security no problem at your home airport only to have trouble on the way back at your destination airport.

having said that , my general approach to all of this kind of stuff, (armour, training weapons, sporting equipment) is to have a dedicated piece of checked luggage for it and to declare it at the counter up front just like you do with firearms or golf clubs. i would think a sturdy gym bag would suffice and with all due respect to Jean I would not attempt to wear it concealed under clothing and go through security in the US. TR
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not flown with a shirt, but I have flown many times both domestically and internationally with full harness and a mail skirt.

I've brought my mail skirt in my hand luggage to save weight on the checked bags, and it has not been a problem when I put the skirt in the very top of the carry-on for easy inspection, or even put it in the tray with my shoes so they can see it very easily.

The key here is disclosure. If you put it right out there where they can see what it is it's not usually a problem. You don't need to mention it, just make it easy for them to see.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Historic Enterprises, Inc.
WorldJoust Tournaments™
GG Osborne

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I shocked no one has thought to make the pun that this amounts to "air maille"!!!!!!!!!
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've worn a maille shirt in the past on international flights, and had no real problems, as I would take it off once the metal detectors starting screaming, and put it in a bag to put under the seat in front of me. It was even quite funny once, as when I lifted my sweatshirt and showed it to the security guy in the private room, he said "Not you again!" - he remembered me from 2 years before.

Having said that, this was all pre-2001, and I would not dare do this today, the risks are too great. If you are unlucky and get a security person having a bad day, remember that they do not have to care about your feelings or dignity (despite what the TSA says in public), and don't have to care about whether you get to your flight on time.

Still hammering away
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
and with all due respect to Jean I would not attempt to wear it concealed under clothing and go through security in the US. TR

( EDITED: Cross posting here as I wrote this before reading Peter's post. And I guess it might work if one was completely out front with it and one wanted to risk running into a humourless and grumpy security person having a bad day ! ).

Well neither would I actually wear it when taking a plane to someplace. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

It's one of those things that would freak out the " small bureaucratic minds " because I'm sure they haven't ever anticipated someone wearing maille and would have trouble imagining why anyone would do so ! ( Well even I would have trouble imagining why and what would come to mind to suspicious minds would be what or why and some sort of potential treat ? ).

Not being able to imagine why the screeners would imagine the worst case scenarios.

So for sure not a good idea to try except if one wanted to screw with their minds just for the fun of it by giving them a " question" they wouldn't have any answers for: This usually leads to complete paralysis in the bureaucratic mind.

I guess I was just asking because I would find it extremely interesting hearing the story of someone who had done this and how much of a " nightmare/confusion" it might have caused .... blame it on a very warped sense of humour ! Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Karl Randall

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always thought someone wearing a maille shirt would be the perfect recipe for a hidden-camera style comedy skit. The person would walk through, detectors would scream and the person in question would (attempt) to explain that they have had most of their torso surgically reconstructed.

...Pulls out copies of X-rays from the X-men movies showing Wolverine's rib cage...

Sadly, in this day and age security simply wouldn't stand for that kind of nonsense.
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 May, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

so what I ended up doing was just checking the maille instead. I was originally wanting to carry it on 1. To save weight in the checked luggage, and 2. to ensure it made it to where I was going since I'm working on a tight timeline and couldn't play the lost luggage game. I tried calling TSA before posting here but that was totally worthless.

I did a separate checked bag with just arming clothes and maille and it all worked out just fine. They made me pay an additional 25 for the extra bag but it was cheaper than the over 50lbs charge I would have gotten if I threw the maille in with the other checked bag. Thanks to everyone for their experiences and suggestions.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Flying with maille?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic