Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Khukuri............. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: My new Khukuri.............         Reply with quote

This just arrived about half an hour ago straight from Kathmandu..............................

This blade type has always been of interest to me, since the Kopis/Falcata is my hands-down favorite of the ancient designs. (What can I say, I really like those "in your face" kinds of designs). The Khukuri is the national symbol of Nepal and is believed to have been adopted from Nepalese/Indian contact with the troops of Alexander the Great.

There have been posts of late concerning knives recently purchased from a Nepalese maker know as Khukuri House. I'd never heard of Khukuri House but the price was right($27.99) so I decided to give them a try. I chose the World War model due to the discription of "slightly larger and more curved" than the current Khukuri issued to Ghurka troops. Five days after placing the order this monster arrived at my door.

After getting through the adequate packaging my first reaction was "Twentyseven bucks obviously buys a lot of knife in Nepal!" This thing is quite substantial. The 11 inch blade features a spine that is nearly half an inch thick, as well as a slightly concave flat that rises to it's apex about half an inch from the edge. The edge is quite sharp and evenly honed. I was hoping for buffalo horn for the grip but mine arrived with rosewood as seen in the photo, no biggie there.

The blade is adequately finished. It's obviously forged, and not perfectly finished, but considering the price point it's quite good. The rosewood grip and brass furniture are well fitted, and everything is very tight. The brass bolster appears to have been worked on hot. The Khukuri House website shows the methods of manufacture employed. Considering the very primitive conditions in which the Kamis' operate the fit and finish of this piece is more than satisfactory.

The scabbard is solidly constructed and covered with water buffalo hide. I had an old bomber jacket made out of water buffalo that I purchased in Korea many year ago. My oldest son still wears it (since he's still skinny, unlike his dad) and it's still going strong. The brass chape is tightly fitted to the scabbard and shows a few signs of hammering, but is otherwise well made. The two by-knives included in the scabbard are an interesting feature, actually one is a knife, the other is a sharpener. A collapsable display stand is included with the knife. While I won't be displaying this knife the stand is well suited for sword dispaly, so it's a nice plus.

The only irritating aspect of the transaction was the shipping. With S&H included the total price was $64.00, so the shipping was more than the price of the knife itself. Given the quality of the product this is still pretty cheap. The quality compares quite favorably with that of Himalayan Imports, the other major importer of quality Khukuris, and at a considerably lesser price (for a basic model).

I think I'll have to get one of the larger models to satisfy my desire for a Kopis type short sword Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's nice Patrick!
What's the web address?

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go: http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/index.php
Eric Bergeron

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with you 100% on what you've said about the kukris. As some of you may not been aware I ordered two of these both the same model Patrick bought as well, the only difference is mine came with water buffalo handles while Patrick's came with rosewood. I am still pretty much awed that for the price of what we paid for them the quality far exceeds what you pay for. I will definately buy from them again.
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got the Service #1 model and am very pleased with it, I went outside this fine afternoon and killed some bottles filled with water, done em like butter. I've tested its edge also shaving a section of my arm and it did so effortlessly. I will definately be a return customer and want to order a custom kothimora soon.
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. Only thing is at these low prices I wonder how much the kamis are left with?

I like that 36 inch sacrificial model that weighs 6,5 kilos. Now that's a knife.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very decent looking piece, Patrick ! Sounds like it's quite the good deal, too !

Just perfect for riding shotgun in the squad car ;-) Congrats, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Just perfect for riding shotgun in the squad car ;-) "

Yes it is Wink

Jay Barron

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the blade and grip finish on your khukuri as nice as the one in the picture? Himalayan Imports doesn't even have a finish as clean/shiny as that.
Constant and true.
Eric Bergeron

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Is the blade and grip finish on your khukuri as nice as the one in the picture? Himalayan Imports doesn't even have a finish as clean/shiny as that.

Yes it is Jay. Heres a pic of my two world war models.

Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the address Patrick; I'm looking at their site now and they have some very nice pieces. One I'm looking at now is the Chitlange; very nice and sleek Happy

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:

I'd say close, but not quite. It's a good finish but not as perfect as the one in the photo seems. It's handsome none the less. I'd say it's on the same level as the HI Khukuris' I've seen. Definetly worth the price.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:
Thanks for the address Patrick; I'm looking at their site now and they have some very nice pieces. One I'm looking at now is the Chitlange; very nice and sleek Happy

My ten year old son is also eyeing several prospects Big Grin

David Stokes

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

awe geez........... EVERYONE is buying one of these......... Guess I gotta give into the peer pressure......
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

lol David give in and buy one...ya know ya wanna, I popped some water filled bottles the other day...totally massacred them with nice fine cuts, getting myself a custom kothimora from them after getting my latest tattoo.

There's a pic of it on the stand it came with...I love this khukuri, possibly one of my fav knife styles...MUST BUY MORE!!!

*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Waterbottles? Go and chop down a tree instead.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the "long dragon" with dragon carved blade and the 18" blade is what im after i think
Nate C.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the Panawal (full tang) and the Sirupate 15. My custom would probably be a 18" Panawal or a full tang 18" Chitlage in rough polish. Definately a fascinating weapon.
Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
a good finish but not as perfect as the one in the photo...I'd say it's on the same level as the HI Khukuris' I've seen.

Well, I polished up my Himalayan Imports sirupati today and it really does have a finish similar to the one in the picture above. I don't usually take very good care of my khuks because I consider them tools, but that one cleaned up really nicely. I ended up with a true mirror finish on mine with some judicious use of metal glo. I am only adding this info because I previously said that the HI khuks didn't have as good a finish as those from Khukri House. They actually do if you keep them clean. They are, however much more expensive that Khukri House.

Constant and true.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
awe geez........... EVERYONE is buying one of these......... Guess I gotta give into the peer pressure......

IMO enyone interested in sharp pointy things (be it swords or knives) should own at least one khukuri.

Constant and true.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Khukuri.............
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: