Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions new generartion, and others.................... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Albions new generartion, and others....................         Reply with quote

Being newly returned from our trip to Albion I thought I'd share some observations.

While at Albion we were able to evaluate, and cut with, the first test sample from Albions Next Generation line, as well as the final prototypes of the Peter Johnsson Museum Lines Tritonia, Brescia Spadonna, and Solingen.

I'll offer only a few short comments here, as these will all be the subject of upcoming reviews.

The PJ Museum Line has been a long time coming. There have been delays upon delays that have frustrated prospective customers, including myself. These delays have occurred for one simple reason, the folks at Albion are determined to get it right. "Good enough" isn't good enough for Howard Waddell and Company. Let me assure you that Albion has indeed gotten it right in a very big way.

When I first announced that I would be reviewing the PJ line I fielded numerous questions concerning the cost of these swords. At $1000.00 USD they're not cheap. All I can say on this front is that they're worth every penny, in fact, if I can manage it I'll be buying more than one for myself. An incredible amount of time and effort has gone into the design and execution of these swords, both by the Albion crew and by swordsmith Peter Johnsson. The subtle details and geometries found on originals are found here. These are simply great swords.

As good as the PJ line is the most exciting thing I saw at Albion was the first test sample in the Next Generation line, the Gaddhjalt. With the introduction of the Next Gen. line Albion has left the competition in the dust. For the first time truly accurate swords are availabe in the three digit price range. I'm not talking about a nicely finished modern interperation of a medieval sword, I'm talking about a sword truly designed in the medieval fashion. A sword that will cut and handle like a medieval sword. With the exceptions of cast furniture and machined blades these swords are historically accurate right down to the finer points of blade geometry and mass distribution. The pommels are hot peened and secured with small wedges before the grip is mounted in place. etc. etc.

These are just a few details of the design, I'll go into greater detail later. These statements may seem a bit strong, and you will undoubtedly read debates on them elsewhere. Just remember one thing, anyone who wants to refute me wasn't there, I was. I handled and examined the Gaddhjalt, others did not. I cut with the Gaddjhalt, others did not. Besides myself there were a few other people present who were not Albion employees. The ones present who were students of the medieval european sword were just as impressed as I was. Every other company working in the three digit price range is now playing catch-up.

This week at Albion a line was crossed and history was made. It was thrilling to be there and see it happen.
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool, Patrick. I look forward to those reviews. Just one thing, though...when you say "Three digit price range," you make it seem like all of us can afford something like all of these. Wink I've handled the Museum Line myself a couple of times, and was also duly impressed. And if a few thousand dollars placed themselves in my wallet, you can be sure that I would make a grab for those right off. I look very forward to owning many of the Albion Next Gen pieces.
Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow .... sounds like they've attained thier goal ....... you medieval boys are gonna be in heaven !

Me , I'll be waiting for them German baskethilts Peter talked about ;-)

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Geoff I don't know if you can afford it or not, that's up to you. All I can say is that if you're a medieval euro sword fan you'd better try and afford it ! If the Gaddhjalt is any indication, the Next Generation line is definitely breaking new territory in the production field.

One of the difficulties in conveying this is that very little of it can be seen in a photograph. My verbal explanation can only go so far in conveying the finer details of design and proportion. The swords really have to be held and felt in order to fully understand what a breakthrough this is.

We also saw the rough castings for the initial Viking line. I was was very impressed with the level and crispness of the detail in the castings. They'll look great fully finished and mounted.
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it'll just take me a while until I can afford it. College comes first, I'm afraid. And if Albion keeps doing the things they're doing, I can only imagine that in four years when I've graduated what things will be like (I'm very excited about it). Now my problem is that I don't know what I want, so I think that I'll just keep putting money away and see what's around in four years (that's the agonizing part).

Take care,

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

We also saw the rough castings for the initial Viking line. I was was very impressed with the level and crispness of the detail in the castings. They'll look great fully finished and mounted.

From what you say here it looks like Albion hasn't created the final Vikings yet, but is there anything more you can tell us about the Clontarf, Vinland, and Gotland swords?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roger.

I did see the blade blanks for the various Viking models, as well as the furniture castings. The new Viking models are still undergoing a bit of tweaking in the blade geometry. Peter wants to make the fullers a bit wider, and deeper than originally planned. This will improve the appearance of the sword, and will also improve the performance and handling by making the cross section thinner at the fullers web. As to delivery dates and such you'd have to ask the folks in New Glarus about that.
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just this weekend I was able to play around with the Albion/Del Tin Early 16th C. H &a H. Great fun to cut and wield with. I thought it tracked really well through the cut and I never felt like it wasn't going where I wanted it to. Not only does it handle well, It's beautifully made- very simple with a few styleistic flourishes to give it some personality. For my first experience in seeing anything from Albion up close, I was verry impressed.
http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt2160.htm
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Vikings         Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

We are still shooting for October. It will probably be late October. We we are nearly there, but like Patrick said, we are making some adjustments to the blades. The end result will be worth the wait. Happy

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
... Peter wants to make the fullers a bit wider, and deeper ...

WOOHOO!!!
Big Grin Cool Big Grin
hmmm, I may need to sell a kidney to raise some cash...

Mike
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just very glad to hear things are coming along nicely. Unfortunately for me, most of my sword buying is mapped for the next 2-3 years, but I appreciate what is being done anyway.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I heard through the grapevine that Albion may be making a version of the St. Maurice of Turin sword. If this is indeed the case is there any estimated time frame for it? I have already started saving my money. Happy
Constant and true.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
I heard through the grapevine that Albion may be making a version of the St. Maurice of Turin sword. If this is indeed the case is there any estimated time frame for it? I have already started saving my money. Happy

I know that PJ has documented the sword, but I don't know when it will reproduced. One thing is for sure: it will kick the @$$es of any other replica of that sword.
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Bemoaning the lack of later period blades         Reply with quote

Why, oh why do the pleas of the late 15th century crowd go unheard!!! Other then the Brescia, I see and hear so little of the XVIIIb's and XX's, especially in Grete Swerde form! Are people still holding a grudge against the Germans Laughing Out Loud Seriously, I look at the fantastic work coming out and I am disappointed to see so little of the high/late Middle Ages represented. And unfortunately, that which is represented tends to focus on lighter bastard/civillian swords. I know there are a number of collecters/users out their who share my preferences so I will put it as simple as possible: If you( the sword makers) want my money, make what I ( and many, many others) like. Long hilted long swords!!!! Preferably between 48-54" with nice LONG hilts and nice Long blades!! In the words of the Great Master Johannes Liechtenauer " Then We Promise, That Your Arts Will Be Rewarded"( Translation Christian H. Tobler) and I will not have to launch another whiny rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled drooling.That is all.

Respectfully Tongue in Cheek,

James Byrnes

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Patrick,

Did you get to handle to 'hollow ground' line of swords at Albion?
If so, will there be reviews of those, and did you have a similar impression as with the Next Gen stuff?

Thanks!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Hey Patrick,

Did you get to handle to 'hollow ground' line of swords at Albion?
If so, will there be reviews of those, and did you have a similar impression as with the Next Gen stuff?

Thanks!

Yes I did get to handle the hollow ground line. These are a little late in period for my personal tastes, but I did find them to be very well made. I was also impressed with their handling qualities, nicely balanced with the proper stiffness for thrusting yet enough blade mass for cutting.

I have no doubt we'll be doing reviews of them. It's just a matter of when Albion has one free for review that isn't spoken for by a customer.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amen James, someone turn out a decent production XX would you? I nice XVIIIb would be nice too and I wouldn't mind a XVI either...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Brescia         Reply with quote

Patrick, you must have been able to handle the Brescia. Can you give us your impressions of it? I guess that still may not be the final version of it.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Amen James, someone turn out a decent production XX would you? I nice XVIIIb would be nice too and I wouldn't mind a XVI either...

A nice XVI would be great. I'd like an XVIIIb too but there are more of them around.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brescia         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Patrick, you must have been able to handle the Brescia. Can you give us your impressions of it? I guess that still may not be the final version of it.

What did I think of the Brescia?

I'm saving up for one right now if that tells you anything.

The one shown in the various photos here is the final prototype. I was also able to examine a couple of completed blades prior to assembly. I won't go into any great detail since I'll be doing a review, but let me simply say that I love this sword. I did a bit of cutting with it and it performed very well. The cutting stand that we were using was a bit loose, and this play in the stand absorbed quite a bit of the energy from our strikes. In spite of this I was able to come within a hairs breadth of completely cutting a double mat roll in half with a horizontal cut. Several of these cuts were executed far outside of the optimum striking point, and nearer the point. Considering all of these factors I consider this to be very good performance.

This sword has exceptional balance and aesthetic qualities, yet possesses the mass that I like in a sword. It's a great piece, simply great. I can't wait to see what they do with the scabbard.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions new generartion, and others....................
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: