myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Skyrim Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

also preordered. If anyone is interested I'd like to recommend The Witcher 2, it's got a very gritty and mature storyline, and even some surprisingly accurate 14th and 15th century armor.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back scabbards actually killed that game Witcher2 for me.

Silly and a shame but it did! WTF?!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Robert Rytel

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arena was the best. Daggerfall was good despite being unfinished even after the many many patches. Didn't play Redguard much. Battlespire was terrible. The rest were kinda meh. I took one look at the 'glass' and 'chichin' armor, whatever that is, and I quit Morrowind.
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morrowind has been my favorite so far. In my opinion Oblivion was OK, but very generic. Skyrim is looking good! Happy
Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Tyler Keich

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:
Pre-ordered. Definately looking forward to this one. So much better than the run of the mill FPS or manga-inspired fantasy stuff out there. Happy

manga inspired. . . . uuuggghhh. . . . Can't stand em!

If you guys are looking to kill some time before Skyrim try Dark Souls. It's pretty great.

I'll second the Dark Souls suggestion. It's so frustratingly hard, yet I can't quit. Razz
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tyler Keich wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:
Pre-ordered. Definately looking forward to this one. So much better than the run of the mill FPS or manga-inspired fantasy stuff out there. Happy

manga inspired. . . . uuuggghhh. . . . Can't stand em!

If you guys are looking to kill some time before Skyrim try Dark Souls. It's pretty great.

I'll second the Dark Souls suggestion. It's so frustratingly hard, yet I can't quit. Razz

Yes, I would call it . . . . . frustrating alright. . . . I just cut it off in anger!! Laughing Out Loud
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I for one absolutely love oblivion.
The armour for oblivion I actually found to be quite pleasing, if I could shut off the history nazi in me. It always (except for the absolutely awful deadric) had a quite functional feel and look.

BTW, the steel armour and weapons are actually not to bad on historicity at all. I would simply enchant he heck out of those and use them for the entire game.
The maille armour wasn't too bad too. All in all I loved the game.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't stop playing....can't stop playing...must stop....Skyrim! SKYRIM!

Ok, all joking aside, the game is awesome. I am loving it and wasting probably way too much time on it. Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Can't stop playing....can't stop playing...must stop....Skyrim! SKYRIM!

Ok, all joking aside, the game is awesome. I am loving it and wasting probably way too much time on it. Laughing Out Loud

I am forced to stop playing because of my 2 year old. . . . . .

Seriously, the game is full of awesomeness.

My biggest gripe- the quiver levatating a short distance off the back of my character- perhaps it's magic!
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tyler Keich wrote:

I'll second the Dark Souls suggestion.

As will I. I think it's a great game, and it has quite a beautiful german two-handed sword hidden in the graveyard near the starting shrine. I completely based my first character around that sword due to its looks alone, although they did unfortunately pin it with the usual mainstream "impossibly heavy" cliché... I mean, you're able to do swift one-handed thrusts with a large scottish claymore but the best you can do with both hands on the slightly larger and heavier german sword (or zweihander, as they call it) is clumsily swinging it left and right? Whatever...

...I still love it, though. Cool
Tyler Keich

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only things I don't like are the Thalmor, and getting caught pick-pocketing with a 90% chance of success. Wink

All my spare time in the past few days has gone to this, I've forgotten the world I came from and am now a Nord in Skyrim. Razz
Christopher VaughnStrever

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well I traded in 4 other ps3 games and bought skyrim for $13.00 So witht hat said I was pleased to start... and then I started playing and fell asleep playing the game and woke up with the controller in my hands... Ohh just like when I was 18 all over again lol!

Yes it is a great game and the music is lovely. I am happy I can use my shield with a type of "shield bash" and then attack with my sword when the enemy is stunned. I can't stop playing it either.

Just go look at gamestop reviews just about every person has given this game a 10 out of 10

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This game is seriously absorbing my soul... That's a pun by the way Laughing Out Loud
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like a darn good thing I didn't buy it last weekend. Eek!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
William P

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i dont know about dark souls and ive watched people play skyrim, but i have played, and i fell in love with demons souls,

now we can all agree that historical accuracy is hit and miss with that game.
most of the weapons and armour are BASED off historical designs, but there are liberties taken here and there. but not so much that it looks comleately implausible

except with the axes. the only one that wasnt completely and ridiculously oversixed was the crescent axe which was like a egyptian tabar, but with a head twice as big or more.

the mirdan hammer wouldbnt have so big a head normally, and the topspike wouldnt be a ccruciform i.e the cross section of the blade is like a plus +. instead of being a simple diamond profile

the fluted armour seems BASED off maximilian style but tweaks a couple of things,

the katanas arnt magical super swords, but are simply good slashers, but have lower endurence due to the extra hard edge being of course more brittle.

i liked the fact that the broadsword, which was designed with a viking sword in mind, is stated as being a fairly poor thruster, but having a wide blade well suited for cutting strokes,, which is true of type X swords.

t

but what really impressed me about the game was the amount of grip versitility that you could employ.

the fact that you could grip most items in either one or two handed method, and while you couldnt be totally ambidextrous, i.e you couldnt use an item in your left hand the same as you could if it was in your right hand, but it still allowed people, i think we can agree, to replicate a huge number of historical weapon styles, including sword/ shield, or buckler, sword and dagger, two sword, spear or polearm and shield,

the fact that the weight of your equiptment affects your ability to role and sidestep and dodge, i mean, while we all know that plate armour isnt super heavy, the fact is that in leather or cloth armours you can simply move alot more, and while we can role in harness i think. how well CAN we roll and get up again?

but the fact that your general sack doesnt factor into your ability to roll is a mark missed, (runescape actually accounts for all your items when calculating your endurence when sprinting etc)

the ability for shields to parry, or just be used as a wall for example when recieving arrows like you would historically.
but, the fact that simply holding the shield between you and him and lit acting as a wall and simply recieving blows will tire you out, much better to use it to parry and riposte, to create openings,

the fact that some weapons can damage some armours less well than others was a good sign.

the fact that, like in real life you can pick up and even try and fight with weapons too heavy or advanced for you, but, like what happens when you try and use a bow that has a poundage too high for you to handle, your attack damage will be lowered

but the fact that crossbows are close to useless is a shame.

so there we have it.. as you can see, i really like demons souls.

but ive been wondering with skyrim and the horned helmets, while horned helmets are ahistorical, would there be anything particularrly wrong with a horned helmet like that? in terms of practicality?
Tim M.

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first thing that comes to mind is that it gives your opponent something to grab onto, although it would add a little more protection from blows to the side of the head I guess from the way they are positioned...
William P

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim M. wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is that it gives your opponent something to grab onto, although it would add a little more protection from blows to the side of the head I guess from the way they are positioned...

i figured that might be it.. since horns arnt much heavy, and oriended in that forward facing way wouldnt make the helmet anymore top heavy or awkward on your head, since their part of the helmets/ heads centre of gravity roughly.

in rangers apprentice book 6, horace, one major character does the exact thing your suggesting, in order to show a bunch of skandians hes the one in charge, says thats a nice helmet and looks skyward, and the skandian does as well, as hes looking up horace grabs the horns, lifts the helmet off his head (why no chinstrap though?) and slams it back down, punches him in the nose and sends him sprawling, this earns them his approval..

and hurstwic, for that matter, notes that in one saga, a person is pulled from his horse,m or just down to the ground by someone grabbing his helmet and pulling him down, hurstwic speculates that the cheekguards that were used on the helmets of the time of that saga would have likely made a tempting target.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oblivion was the only other Elder Scrolls game I've played. Skyrim is head and shoulders above Oblivion. Whenever I'm trying to describe it to another gamer, I tell them Skyrim is Fallout 3 set in the fantasy medieval ages. But that's still not doing it justice. The scenery and weather is absolutely stunning. One of my favorite things to do in any roleplaying game is explore. Skyrim makes you want to search every square inch of the map and it is rendered beautifully. The scenery is lifelike, while still having a fantastic element to it.

Here is another huge plus of Skyrim; female characters. Even though I'm a male (although surrounded by females...wife and two daughters Laughing Out Loud ), the computer games I grew up on were Tomb Raider, with Lara Croft. Ever since then I've loved the idea of heroines that could kitt butt and take names, while still being feminine. The downfall of games, however, has been this; You either have female characters with barbie doll proportions and bikini armor, that look like battlefield harlots, or (as in the case of most Bethesda games) you have female characters that look like they fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Then along comes Skyrim, where for the first time in gaming history (that I am aware of) , you can create a heroine that is both attractive, well armored (for battle, not night clubs) and of modest (dare I say realistic) proportions. Even if you choose to give her black eyes...what magician wouldn't want black eyes? Laughing Out Loud ...

Other features I like about Skyrim are the scabbards for single hand swords (they actually stay visible when you draw your sword), and even the armor. For the most part even though the armor is fantasy, it still have the appearance of function, unlike some games where your character runs around with big glowing spaulders on his shoulders.

All in all, for a single player fantasy game, Bethesda has really hit the mark. I think you will be waiting an awful long time for an improvement over Skyrim if single-player roleplaying fantasy is your thing.
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Back scabbards actually killed that game Witcher2 for me.

Silly and a shame but it did! WTF?!

The main character in the game is based on a series of books and in the books the character always wore back scabbards. Yes I know not the most practical but it is a game. The Witcher 2 by far has the best meele combat system of any action RPG I've played. with the only other game coming close to it is Mount and Blade. The Witcher is a great balance between fantasy and reality. Wasn't that impressed with Skryim, the jump in terms of quality between Morrowind and Oblivion to Oblivion to Skyrim wasn't there and the lack of variety of weapons and armor is a turn off. Sorcery is a huge improvement but I love meele combat.

Newbie Sword collector
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Janus wrote:
The main character in the game is based on a series of books and in the books the character always wore back scabbards. Yes I know not the most practical but it is a game.

Don't matter. Went out and bought it a soon as it released which I never do anymore. Within a couple of days I just could not stand the whole back scabbard thing anymore. I played a bit of the first Witcher so I knew to expect it and you're right it is a game. I'm not really complaining, more just saying that I found my reaction to it odd, but that was my reaction. Have never though twice about it again or a next installment (if there ever is one).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Skyrim
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: