Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword and Buckler videos on youtube. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Sword and Buckler videos on youtube.         Reply with quote

I've finally started posting videos of my sword and buckler material for I.33 on youtube. The videos are barely edited with no frills, but a few of them are up and more will be posted almost every week.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OttawaSwordplay#p/a

I hope they are useful.

In my first video, I mention some of my favorite manufacturers, some of whom post on these boards.

Ottawa Swordplay
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

Well done, these are interesting videos. Of course, this is a very different interpretation from some others I have seen, but that's the nature of the work.

One suggestion I have is to include documentation for the specific book reference for each technique. I have a great deal of difficulty matching some peoples' interpretations to the source documents when they fail to do this, especially when the interpretation is new or unusual.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Hugh,

Your suggestion is a good one. It was mainly my intent to do the references specifically in the interpretive stream, rather than the lesson stream, but I can do both, if I remember.

I'll try to add that to the newer videos, and I can put it in the video descriptions retroactively for those that I've filmed.

Ottawa Swordplay
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Had a quick look and it seems like very good stuff and I already " bookmarked ' it so I can find it easily again. Wink Cool

I like the way the wards are linked together as a series of blows with the end of each blow being the next ward/guard: This makes memorizing the wards easier and makes the thinking of an attack as finishing in a logical position and ready for a following attack.

Also, a quick way to memorize and warm up practising the wards.

The only criticism I have is just from a technical recording the audio where the environmental background " noise " is a little too present.

Some filtering or choosing a microphone might be able to minimize this ambient noise if you can't turn off the ventilation in the room which I'm guessing is the culprit.

One alternate way is to record the action visually only using a read script and then re-tape the descriptive audio in a quiet room or studio setting ..... this would need to be both scripted visually and for audio but one could also add close-up, where useful, slowmo, different angles etc .... But this would be more for a professional and formal presentation that would be worth putting on DVD(s) or as Podcasts. ( I would certainly buy the DVD(s) by the way ).

Oh, I can see at least a lot of what you showed at the seminar last November and it brings back some nice memories as well as refreshes my memory of the techniques.

As I've said before what I liked very much in your approach is the emphasis on the principle shown in a technique leaving a lot of possibilities to use the techniques in original ways that often happen in a real bout, in that things never follow an exact script or one rarely ends up in the ideal exact position shown in a technique, but if one has understood the underlying principle one will perceive opportunities to put into action a learned technique from a variety of positions and at times even execute them in a reverse or mirror fashion like in your example of binding the arms from below instead of from above should that possibility present itself as the faster choice using the underlying principles.

One ends up fluid and spontaneous rather that rigidly trying to apply a series of memorized moves that only work from set positions under the ideal conditions of a partnered patient/agent drill i.e. instead one can improvise and not end up indecisive when things don't go as planned. ( In a sword fight as in war the plan rarely survives contact with the enemy ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
A. Heidalen Skog

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like what I see ^^

You have a new subscriber.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Subbed Laughing Out Loud

I'm eager to get some sword and buckler going down here.
I do enjoy watching well produced vids.
The Tossetoke/Hammborg guys do it well too.
Actualy, while we're on the subject, I've heard of, but never seen, a few moves that are supposedly designed to counter longbastardswords, is there any truth to this?

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I'll keep putting hem out.

Eventually, I'd like to do some better quality video, but I've been wanting to start doing this for years, and finally decided to just film and post so that I have a point of reference for discussions.

I.33 itself does not include anything on fighting longsword, and I don't know of any other S+B material that does. I'd like to give it a try though!

Ottawa Swordplay
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Shackleton wrote:
Thanks everyone! I'll keep putting hem out.

Eventually, I'd like to do some better quality video, but I've been wanting to start doing this for years, and finally decided to just film and post so that I have a point of reference for discussions.

I.33 itself does not include anything on fighting longsword, and I don't know of any other S+B material that does. I'd like to give it a try though!

Fighting against a longsword is one way to just see what are the challenges and what seems to work and not work but it does take someone with close to the same/equivalent skill levels otherwise you are just seeing what the better swordsman can do I think.

I did some bouting against sword and buckler and with the longsword I think the most importing thing is to not get rushed with the sword and buckler guy coming into his measure or immobilizing your sword with his buckler or his sword as he can then do something effective with the other.

One thing I did find is that as the longswordsman I could double against the buckler's rim and use fühlen and not get distracted by the fact that it's not a sword: Against the less well trained or equally trained students I could generally make things challenging for them and even against the 1:33 instructors it was far from hopeless. Wink Laughing Out Loud

For the Videos I agree that getting something out there is better than not doing so waiting for ever to get it " perfect " first. Wink

A few sound tests with different microphone could reduce the ambient noise to just a low hum and one could filter out some noise in post with the right editing tools.

One could see the current Videos as first drafts and would be very useful later to organize the material and content to re-shoot professionally. ( 25 years of Industrial T.V. studio work sort of helps me here although I have been retired out of it for long enough that my editing tools used " Flint & Steel " Wink Eek! Laughing Out Loud But the basic principle are the same but a Video camera today can fit in the palm of your hand versus the 75 pound camera monsters I used in the early 1980's, not to mention the half ton of other equipment including a separate recorder, lighting kits, cables and sand bags to keep the lighting from tipping over. Eek! Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword and Buckler videos on youtube.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic