Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Claymore: Hanwei or Windlass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael MacLeod

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Claymore: Hanwei or Windlass         Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking to add another bit of sharp steel to my collection. after much thought I have finally decided to go for a claymore. While searching Kult of Athena I noticed that the Braveheart claymore made by windlass steelcrafts and the Hanwei claymore are both the same price (incredibly cheap at that). So my question to you,dear sword lovers is which is the better sword. I am looking for both handling and looks. Thanks for your time.
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the longer Windlass swords tend to be whippy. Nothing wrong with the heat treatment, but just rather flexible. I haven't heard anything about this particular Windlass sword being whippy, so I can't say if it is or isn't. They're both pretty large swords, and the weight looks to be about the same, but I don't know about the balance. In terms of looks, I personally prefer the Hanwei claymore, I think it looks more traditional and more pleasing to the eye. Since I haven't handled either of them, I can only give my views and knowledge of each brand, I'm pretty sure someone here has the Hanwei claymore, but I don't know about the Windlass. With any luck, someone else will give more detailed information about each sword.

Happy choosing!
Nathan.

Nathan.
Jim S.

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good day Michael,

I am not sure if this is the same Hanwei Claymore that you are looking at. It is a review at SBG done around 1 1/2 years ago. The reviewer seemed to like his. http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ge=1#34218

Good luck in your quest
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This bit from the SBG review gives me pause:

Quote:
The one MINOR criticism I have regarding construction involved the peenings, of which the blade has two (the tang peened to the pommel, and the blade drilled and peened to the hilt at the langets). Both could have been ground and sanded a bit neater, as both exhibited rough edges.

I have seen a Hanwei claymore before with that feature as well (riveting through blade and langets). Why is that done that way?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To answer your question, I'd want to know what qualities are specifically important to you and how you approach them.

You mention "looks" but I'm not sure how to answer that. After all, attractiveness is subjective and not really going to get you anywhere. For example, I consider the CASI offering terrible looking because of the giant ball pommel. The Del Tin "braveheart" version (which the Windlass version is a bad copy of) is more attractive to me because it reminds me of the movie, despite it not looking anything like a "highland claymore".

If you're interested in historical accuracy, I must say that neither of those choices really look like anything left from antiquity. The CASI one would be improved greatly with a pommel change (small wheel, as found on most examples, or tiny globular pommel as found on much fewer samples). The Del Tin/Windlass version doesn't resemble anything that would be specifically called a "claymore" or anything Scottish for that matter.

In my experience with both the DT and CASI offerings, the handling on both is not particularly great--though I must say that both CASI and Del Tin have changed their models through the years so mileage may vary. The Windlass "Braveheart" sword that I handled was quite bad, too.

Unfortunately, Scottish two-handed claymores that resemble things from history are available only at a higher price point: Arms & Armor, Albion, Armour Class, etc. The less expensive offerings are very, very different from historical samples.

Having said all of that, if those were the only two choices that were presented to me then I'd buy the Windlass offering. I really hate the looks of the CASI sword with the giant ball pommel... it bugs me a lot.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just thought I'd resurrect an old thread to respectfully point out that the Hanwei pommel is likely based on this 16th-century piece located in the National Museum of Scotland.

Attachment: 122.25 KB
IMG_0374-2.jpg

Attachment: 92.49 KB
IMG_0372.jpg

Attachment: 73.97 KB
IMG_0374.jpg
"Claymore with blade inscribed Porta Pale, 16th century."
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right, most true Highland Claidheamh Da Laimh feature wheel pommels; However, globular pommels are not unknown (as the above pictures show). IIRC, from my reading, the globe pommels start showing up later, like early-mid 17th century (again, IIRC, and I may not....). BTAIM I personally prefer the wheel pommels (they are more common, historically).

Now, there are some "Claymores" with scent-stopper-ish pommels..... now, those are pretty much totally wrong. But as this is not a discussion of those swords, we won't go there any further....

The Braveheart "Claymore" (sic), be it by Windlass or Del Tin, is, IMHO, not a Claymore (if we really want to get technical, a "Claymore" is a basket-hilted broadsword. But what do I know.). But anyway, if I had my druthers I'd hold out for Del Tin's version -- why not get the version made by the guy who actually made the original swords for the movie?

edit -- oh, whoa, zombie thread. Didn't notice the dates.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Claymore: Hanwei or Windlass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic