Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your 18th century swords! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are pics of the Epee du Soldat that was recently on E-bay and now gone. I own one just like it. I would have been interested to see if there was the arsenal/munitions stamp on it that is on mine.

Attachment: 241.67 KB
jan72011_(295).jpg

Attachment: 112.02 KB
jan72011_(301).jpg

Attachment: 109.77 KB
jan72011_(304).jpg

Attachment: 112.62 KB
jan72011_(308).jpg

inkothemgard!
David Ledoyen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:

I love the French Infantry Sword of course. (...) What is the length on it?

Blade is 723 mm OAL: 890 mm

Morgan Butler wrote:

By the way, I was intrigued by your term of "Demi-Espadon Blades", do you have any examples?

I.

In the 18th c. old fashioned long and wide swords were called "espadons", from latin spada. "Espadon" is also the French name for swordfish! Same origin as for spadroon.

"Demi-espadon" refers to blades shorter and narrower than the "espadon" but still flat and relatively wide. The unofficial 1750's officer swords had blades with a median flat. Lenght is about 80 to 85 cm. I think the "demi-espadon" term was used partly for making the difference from gentlemen's triangular blades.

David Ledoyen
www.theroyalsword.com

Man is nothing but dust. This gives some importance to the duster. — Alexandre Vialatte
D Critchley

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A little short on British swords, this thread :-)

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D Critchley wrote:
A little short on British swords, this thread :-)

The 1796 Heavy Cavalry Officer dress sword, sigh Cool Always nice to see one. The one I used to own had the metal scabbard. Thanks for the impressive display, Dave.E:\My Pictures\Arms & Armor

inkothemgard!
Michal Spilka
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: 18th century         Reply with quote

18th cent.´s my personal favourite.
So here is my first contribution - from Prussian army: sabre for Prussian infantry M1715, Officers smallsword, prussian pistole and miniature of the russian cutlass.
The 18th century is very popular in our place. Especially the War between Prussia and Austria in 1756 (see the pics).
Thanks Morgan for posting this one! Finally someone´s noticed the 18th century J
Michal

Attachment: 63.16 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 175.39 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 174.43 KB
[ Download ]

Michal Spilka
Nielo - Sword
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Michal, The 18th century is indeed an interesting period, especially the 7 years war, which you seem to take an active part in. And of course, so many different types of swords. I hope you enjoyed the Prussian Infantry Officer sword I posted earlier.

Tell me more about the Officer's sword. Is it a double edged blade or a hollow ground blade? Do you know what nationality it is? It is very fine looking.

inkothemgard!

Last edited by Morgan Butler on Mon 14 Mar, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
Slot hilted hanger with lions head pommel, solid silver guard and pommel with ivory grip bound with silver wire and silver ribbon C1775.
Regards,
Norman.

Attachment: 46.62 KB
P1010003.jpg

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Norman McCormick wrote:
Hi,
Slot hilted hanger with lions head pommel, solid silver guard and pommel with ivory grip bound with silver wire and silver ribbon C1775.
Regards,
Norman.

Whoa! Is that yours, Norman?

inkothemgard!
MB Tharp

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bonjour David! WIll you be reproducing this one? I would love to have one like this?

[quote="David Ledoyen"]
David Ledoyen wrote:
Morgan,

e]

Morgan, I did not forget this thread.

Here are pictures of my 1680-1720 French infantry sword. Note the squarish part between the rings. The grip isn't original, of course.

You can't take the Sky from Me!
Michal Spilka
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: reply to Morgan:         Reply with quote

Hi Morgan,

my smallsword was made in Solingen.I think it´s a typical german work. The blade is „lozenge shaped“, ornamented with engravings (see the pics).
I walked around one antique shop and saw a very „rusty bowl“. I don´t know why, but it catched my yes somehow.
I repaired it, cleaned, made a new braidings,etc... – and after few weeks it´s quite a nice piece of smallsword J

I really like yours one from the first page. I made lots of pictures of smallswords and Pallashes in the Museum in Leeds or Tojhus in Copenhage. But your „shell – model/pattern“ one – it´s just wonderful!

There´s a picture of the sabre in attachment (from Arsenal Vienna) – sabre of Marshal Radecky. It was a very famous leader of Austrian army, born in my homeland (but this one is 19th C., hope you don´t mind).

cheers, Michal

Attachment: 70.47 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 150.68 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 140.43 KB
[ Download ]

Michal Spilka
Nielo - Sword
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Morgan,
The sword is mine, one of the more fortunate purchases from a well known online auction site. The photograph was so bad that the silver looked like brass and the blade a rust bucket, some you win Big Grin There are no hallmarks on the silver but after consulting Bonhams and the Royal Armouries it appears that it was not as unusual as one might think not to send silver for assay in order to avoid paying duty. I have attached some more photos. I was advised to leave the silver tarnished. On the hilt under the grip you can just see the beginning of a makers stamp and there may be assay stamps there as well but I would have to dismount the blade in order to check. I was very wary of interfering with the sword but checked with the Royal Armouries as a matter of course and was advised against dismounting the blade even though it may answer some questions. It probably was more for show than action but the blade seems pretty servicable if needs be although I would much prefer my '42' if it came to a fight.
Regards,
Norman.

Attachment: 75.28 KB
IMG_0024.jpg

Attachment: 59.22 KB
IMG_0015.jpg

Attachment: 47.71 KB
IMG_0011.jpg

Attachment: 61.15 KB
IMG_0017.jpg

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Norman,
I know its heresy, Eek! but I am always interested to see what they look like when cleaned up somewhat.

inkothemgard!
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Morgan,
This seems to be one of the biggest quandaries for collectors of antiques. On the one hand the original owner/maker would never have let this sword, for example, stay in the condition it is in at the moment but on the other hand interfering with the history of the item is also not desirable. It has always been my understanding that silver should be cleaned and brass should be left alone when it comes to antiques. To my mind bringing an item back to near the original condition is ok as long as you add nothing and take nothing away other than that which was not desirable to the original owner/maker. Where does patina end and dirt begin? Confused
Regards,
Norman.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Where does patina end and dirt begin?

An age old quandary. I spend an inordinate amount of time with dirt, as it quite often obscures fine detail lost to the crust. Earlier in this thread I showed adding silver back to a plated hilt that had been worn down over time. A lot of late 18th century and 19th century silver washes wear down quite quickly and very worn examples might be very well better left alone unless restoration is done. There are a lot of similar facets with antiques that could be considered.

I find my self most often thoroughly cleaning while not polishing bright. a truth about git hilts is that dirty gold can look a lot better with careful work. OTOH, the blue & Gilt of blades is perhaps the biggest case of "don't mess with it" but there are some tips for helping a bit with them. Careful is the big word.

Cheers

GC
Tom Donoho

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Norman,

That's a lovely 18th century short saber. Would you post pics of the blade please.

Tom
Tom Donoho

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a nice 18th century small-sword with what appears to be a period sword-knot. Its beauty is derived from its form rather than embellishment--a nice functional sword.

[/img]

Attachment: 29.94 KB
0001_1_lg.jpg

Tom
Tom Donoho

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An attractive late 18th century small-sword.

Attachment: 12.41 KB
normal_English%20Silver%20Hilted%20Naval%20Officer_s%20Small%20Sword.jpg

Tom
Tom Donoho

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A beautiful loop-hilt small-sword.

Attachment: 12.53 KB
143-201068115213_large.jpg

Tom
Tom Donoho

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A nice French officer's small-sword with boat form hilt from my collection. (I have fixed the lose wire wrap to the grip. Interesting to note that the grip was seized over with a piece of period newspaper before adding the wire wrap--was this customary?) This sword handles very well--it surprised me!

Attachment: 9.04 KB
F SS 1.jpg

Attachment: 9.22 KB
F SS 2.jpg

Tom
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
Nice swords in your collection. Here is a closer image of the blade as requested, it would appear to have been 'blued' at some point in its lifetime although I'm unsure of the method used.
Regards,
Norman.

Attachment: 40.23 KB
P1010003.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your 18th century swords!
Page 6 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: