Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Season of the witch Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Season of the witch Movie         Reply with quote

Where do I start with this movie ,well I went to see it, and you know it was not as bad as I was expecting it to be.The story line was not bad but that is not why I went to watch it .I went to see how historically inaccurate the weapons,armor and clothes were in this fictional movie .because this movie was about a crusader and a witch i did not have high expectations but to my surprise they were pretty accurate the armor was well done and the swords they used were great,I would love to know who made them ,I read here that A&A may have had some of there weapons in this movie but I did not see them .For a movie that does not try to be historically correct they did a better job in the weapons than some movies that claim to be historic .The Helms that Nicolas Cage and Ron Perlman wore look ridiculous like something out of a video game .If anyone else will admit to have watching this movie I would like to know what you did think of the swords they used and if you know who made them.As a fictional movie i will give it a 8/10, there are a lot of historic truths in this movie too ,the weapons ,the battles,the cloths ,the plague ,the madness of the church dealing with so called witches and the plague. A must see movie, perhaps not ,but if you have nothing else to do and want to watch some sword play and think how you would have made it better then go see it.
Though the pen is mightier than the sword,
the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it was O.K. as a lightweight popcorn movie, the story was a bit thin and contrary to modern expectations of the witch not being a witch because there are no witches and it was only superstition: In this film the supernatural is real and this film is more like a monster or vampire type movie set in the medieval period.

There are some valid comments about fanaticism and the idea of " kill them all, let God sort them out " mentality of killing the Infidel: Evil no matter what religion is doing the killing then or today. ( But lets not get into that too far as it risks getting political and outside the purpose of the Forums i.e. break the rules here ).

The swords I didn't get a long enough or close enough look at to tell who make them but I suspect that there might be some Windlass and or Del Tins among them, but there might be a mix of brands.

The costuming and armour seemed more Hollywood/fantasy than real and some of the more historically correct stuff like Spangenhelms where out of period by 100 to 200 years ( I think the film is some time in the early 14th Century so mostly after the Crusader period. Oh, and the more dirt the more " authentic " mentality of costume designers i.e. 14 th Century must mean 14 mm of dirt on skin and everything else. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

I would have to check but the list of battles mentioned in rapid sequence that the two main characters where supposed to have fought in seemed mostly fictional ones but I'm not 100% sure of this.

In any case the big sieges and massacres seem more appropriate for the first to Third Crusades than the period of the film.

The best part is the banter between the two main characters which is fun in general but there where some really bad and corny lines of dialogue also.

I have to admit a degree of guilty pleasure as I enjoyed the film at the time but it's not one I would want to see twice or consider a " classic " worth getting enthusiastic about.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
There are some valid comments about fanaticism and the idea of " kill them all, let God sort them out " mentality of killing the Infidel: Evil no matter what religion is doing the killing then or today. ( But lets not get into that too far as it risks getting political and outside the purpose of the Forums i.e. break the rules here ).

Jean...

The quote above is historical in nature, having been uttered by one Arnald-Almaric at the reduction of the walled city of Beziers during the Albigensian Crusade against the Cathars, a group of "heretics" who lived mainly in France from the late 12th to early 13th centuries. There were only a few Cathars in the city so the question was posed to the leader about how the inevitable slaughter was to be managed. His reply was in a similar vein as above except that it has been rendered more typically as "Kill them all. God will recognize his own."

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW this movie is getting a 4% on Rotten Tomatoes... I don't ever remember a film scoring that low.
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm not a church apologist, but contrary to popular belief, witch-hunts were not so common in the Middle Ages. The most active period for witch hunts is actually the early modern era, from the end of the 15th c. to the beginning of the 17th c. (think of the Salem Witch Trials). Thus it coincides quite exactly with the "Renaissance", a period that was said (and is still said by some) to have been an end to the "Dark Ages"! The Malleus Maleficarum, the most famous treatise on how to fight witchcraft, was only written in 1486. Some historians propose that witch-o-phobia was a side effect of the wars of religion, and that it became even stronger in the 17th c. because at that time, the wars of religion had a bit toned down. Thus, instead of trying to go conquer the protestants or catholics, there were instances on both sides where the goal became internal purity (as opposed to an outward "crusading" effort). The puritans are a good example of that.

In the Middle Ages execution for witchcraft was possible but somewhat rare, execution for heresy was more probable as it was generally considered to be a far bigger offense. Regarding witches, the Collectarium canonum or Decretum of bishop Burchard of Worms, one of the most widespread compilations about canon law in the Middle Ages, written at the beginning of the 11th c., describes witches as foolish, superstitious women, but not threats to society or worshippers of Satan. Burchard of Worms advises light sentences for such women who believe in witchcraft, so that they learn that they're wrong, but he goes nowhere near execution, mutilation, or even prison (IIRC it's more of a religious penance). Burchard, also going against the usual trope of the superstitious medieval man, describes witchcraft as a bunch of stupid hogwash that has no actual effect, and he's not the least bit worried that it might really allow the Devil to influence the world or somesuch.

Now Burchard is certainly not representative of the whole Middle Ages, as it spanned the whole of Europe over something like a thousand years, but here is at least the point of view of a well-educated German bishop about 1000 AD (also demonstrating that the oft quoted "end-times mentality" near year 1000 AD was not really widespread...)
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoyed the first part of this film, it had a lot of potential I thought. I didn't mind the quips and banter back and forth. The helmets they wore at the beginning bugged me to no end though. I liked their swords, minus the fact the hilts seemed overbuilt. IMO, the last 20 minutes was the most horrible slow motion flaming train wreck of cinema that I've seen in a while. A spectacular display of how not to make an end of a film, they started to lose me with the demon, but when it started to talk like a muppet, it really got me laughing. Dear Nicholas Cage acted his heart out trying to save the film, but there's little that could be done, Ron Pearlman shouldn't smile, it makes children cry, luckily, he can hide it well behind his stubble, his character provided the quips about stupid lines we were making in our heads, a needed comic relief to help keep it afloat.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

making the witch into a demon type character was a mistake...
Boris R.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:
Dear Nicholas Cage acted his heart out trying to save the film, but there's little that could be done, Ron Pearlman shouldn't smile, it makes children cry,

imho Nicholas Cage was a catastrophic failure as a lead role option, i mean that guy has but a single face expression he can muster, and it always looks like this

Ron Pearlman is acting himself as always (just see Hellboy or any other movie with him in it)
and the last 20 minutes of this film should be taught to film students as to how NOT to end the movie

and those "wolves", omg whoever thought of that should find himself left in the mountain with a real wolf pack

aside from all that the movie was quite fun actually, some great ambients, and the scene with the rotten collapsing bridge was pretty good, albeit in the unexpected type of good

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went into this movie with extremely low expectations, so it was actually better than I'd feared. Really nothing more than the standard quest plot line. In fact, it was so much like a D&D adventure I half expected one of the characters to whip out a pair of twelve sided dice or something. Nick Cage obviously needs the money badly. I did enjoy Ron Perlmans "I'm a knight because the chicks dig it" attitude. Very forgettable but at least I didn't feel two hours closer to being dead when it was over.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: nick cage         Reply with quote

When Mr Cage came through Montreal working on a 2nd rate boxing movie, he stopped off at one of our ''medieval'' boutiques and bought a mail and plate armor made by Michael Dabek, a Polish armorer established north of Montreal.
I understood from what the proprietor told me that the fellow is a collector of sorts, very much interested in armor and arms from the medieval period... I wish this showed more in that movie.
I think he accepts some things that are thrown at him because of his personnal interests, but ends up giving a performance that comes off as unidimensionnal because of the nature of the material thrown at him... directors love to simplify ''medieval''characters, and forget that human beings are not more complex today than at any other period in history, they just have more bells and whistles to play with.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Juan Cocinas

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly, the thing that annoyed me most about this film was the crusaders' complete lack of shields I always hope to see some sword&board fight scenes in hollywood pictures, and i am almost always disappointed
"Resist your time- take a foothold outside it." Lord Acton

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Season of the witch Movie
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic