Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mercy Killing and the Dehumanization Effects of the Helm. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Crime rates are likely lower in the areas where most of us live than in an average medieval city.

Probably. Some estimates of the civilian murder rate in fourteenth-century German cities climb as high as 100 per 100,000! On average the medieval German murder rate was similar to or exceeded the most dangerous U.S. cities of our time. On the other hand, relatively few folks actually lived in cities back then. I have no idea how often rural areas witnessed violence; I've never seen figures.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
Crime rates are likely lower in the areas where most of us live than in an average medieval city.

Probably. Some estimates of the civilian murder rate in fourteenth-century German cities climb as high as 100 per 100,000! On average the medieval German murder rate was similar to or exceeded the most dangerous U.S. cities of our time. On the other hand, relatively few folks actually lived in cities back then. I have no idea how often rural areas witnessed violence; I've never seen figures.

Actual murder might have been rarer than disputes turning violent as informal violence and considered as respectable affairs of honour or sort of the period equivalent of modern " road rage " or neighbours getting on each other's nerves and a dispute escalating to serious violence.

To me actual murder is different but feuds and private wars would also tend to increase the violence statistics of the period.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In part I agree, but there's a difference because Youtube isn't like having it happen in front of you, nor is horror fiction percieved as real even by most young kids. Yes, these things also desenitize but not as much as real up close and personal violence. Most who've only seen it on TV and movies are completely psychologically unprepared for a real hand to hand fight. Much less one with weapons involved.

That's what I was saying. Watching someone get killed isn't (necessarily) the same as doing the killing.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben,

I am still highly suspect of those numbers. I have never seen anything close to that high in late medieval England. I will say my looking in German civic records is limited but those I have seen make me wonder where in Germany these stats and when they came from.

RPM
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes Jean-Carle, you make an excellent point! I guess you're referring at least in part to the Nazi institution driven Holocaust of WWII?

I was thinking more in the terms of the more recent Rwanda masacre of the Tutsi.

This is a very compelling and interesting discussion. Please all continue.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Douglas S

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If these German towns in around 1300 were without the police protection that we take for granted, you can be sure there'd be more killings.

In fact, looking at the original article, it seems that they are counting indicted homicides, and the rates are similar for other countries as well.

From our knowledge of medieval culture, we may assume that plenty of killings would have gone without investigation or without suspects, and some were accounted self-defense out of hand.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
...This is a very compelling and interesting discussion. Please all continue.

I second this.
I'm rather surprised to see the aforementioned period source, as it does seem to indicate a trend.
In fact this is getting rather detailed, and I think citing or quoting sources will be of great interest (at least personaly) for further reading.
I wonder if anyone has written a paper on this?

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas,

While we no doubt take our police for granted it is a mistake to think they did not have policing forces. In most places in Europe there was a very organized system of law enforcement. Since I am most familiar with England here is a brief run down.

King>

Non-Royal lands
Nobles and knights> county to local level in jurisdiction and authority>Town leaders (mayor and aldermen) and other rural leadership, knights and such would be required to supervise this in their localities for example> usually bailiffs or the likes and under sherifs would also be around as royal counties were not defined to noble land ownership so some royal presence as well.

Royal lands

County level> Sheriffs> coroners and Bailiffs

Towns> Mayor and Aldermen (if town was free of the county their own sheriff)>Bailiffs and underbailiffs

There was some overlap but this is not per se a bad thing.

In English towns there are daily and nightly watches 365 days of the year. MArkets were especially monitored. Usually the areas were in wards or other districts with 2-4 bailiffs or more patrolling them. Outside town walls there is a similar structure in place but with a huge are under them, though possibly with the same number or so people. Often the watch was armed, more so at night. In times of danger or concern (invasion, local conflict or riots) it could be doubled or more and would without doubt be armed and armoured.

Murders were certainly investigated. We have loads of coroners inquests from much of High and Late Medieval England for example.

In Southampton, where I know the medieval records about as well as one could, there are decades without a murder from 1300-1500. Don't get me wrong there are decades where murder is much more common but there is a hard line between townsmen attacking visiting sailors and attacking foreigners are tied to war or piracy and such as we are not getting both sides of the conflict. Now the town of Southampton had legal control from the new forest to Portsmouth until Henry VII, not a small area. This is a fairly large amount of area and full of the kind of people that traditionally cause fights in towns (sailors). Now when there are murders they have a system in place that takes care of it and investigates. Many times it is conflict between sailors and townsmen, likely involving drunkenness. But the idea that they were just lining up bodies and not trying to prevent it or solve them. They clearly had a very well organized, perhaps the best that had ever existed to that date, and they did what they could to keep life peaceful and productive.

As I have said before I am not really very sure this article is all that accurate. Having read it on multiple occasions and the articles written from the other sides I think these numbers and sources are too loose and, at least for the medieval period, which is my academic background- I cannot say much for the other periods, lacking in depth of understanding of the system in place as well as available sources there. In the end clearly there is a decline in murders but it in reality is not nearly as large as is often being portrayed.

Now it is indeed likely the period was more violent than our own. They had much more open and less direct conflict going on internally and externally. This would increase the numbers of murders in any place to our locations that largely do not have these issues and concerns. It does need to be put in perspective. To their time it might have been one of the more peaceful periods of history in that area. We also have had lapses, american west for example and such that show how external issues change stability.

RPM
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pray tell, are there any primary sources written on this, or rather relating to some of the points people have made here?
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mercy Killing and the Dehumanization Effects of the Helm.
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: