Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > what is this helmet? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: what is this helmet?         Reply with quote

http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/images/illustration%20a.jpg

1260s era. is it a short sided bassinet or is it a Cervelliere with mail attached? anyone know of any existing examples or any other type out there?
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose you could call it either, just a transitional bascinet for wear undr a great-helm.
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Fluted Cervelliere.         Reply with quote

Hi Chuck

The helmet you illustrate is the fluted Cervelliere/Bascinet of Sir John d'Abernon who died in 1340 AD.

No exact examples survive as far as I am aware.

I had this fine replica made for me by Polish armourer - Greg Kulig aka 'Thorkil'.

http://www.thorkil.pl/bascinet_d_abernon_eng.htm

Sir John de Creke (roughly same period) is shown in effigy wearing a similar fluted, "onion-topped" bascinet.

Regards
Stuart
Nick Esposito

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stuart is Correct. it is either a Bascinet or Cervelliere. Id personally characterize it as a "transitional" helm that is between the bowl shaped Cervelliere of the early 14th cent. and the longer Bascinet of the Second Half of the 14th Century.

Below: A Cervelliere is really more of a bowl than the pointed, onion shaped helm that Sir Abernon is wearing

I would say it is more of a Bascinet that a Cervelliere. But it could probably go both ways. Confused

This is a replica of the Helm in question. that of Sir John d' Abernon, By armorer Doug Strong. the flutes are much less pronounced than Thorkil's recreation, which I think is to speculative. The effigy does explicitly show the deep flutes, however it is not unreasonable to believe such, considering that the reference image is on a 2-d simple line drawing it definitely leaves room for speculation.

Here are some similar Helms of the same period:

Last edited by Nick Esposito on Mon 03 Jan, 2011 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

where the heck did i have 1260? i must have been super tired this morning. i knew very well it was 1340 and who it was. sorry guys my brain fart i guess.

so do you think i could accomplish the same thing with a cut down bassinet or using the GDFB cervelliere?
Nick Esposito

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The GDFB Cervelliere is about a bowl shaped as it gets and it has no mounting points for an aventail.If your are planing to modify one, your going to have a very hard time unless you have some pretty heavy duty tools, (seeing as though its 14 guage steel)

If you want to make one from scratch, Doug strong has a step-by-step manual for the construction of the Abernon Helm.

This text is from his website at : http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/books/metalwork.html

"The d'Aubernon Bascinet--A profusely illustrated manual for the construction of an elaborate mid 14th century bascinet based on the effigy of Sir John d'Auberon. The bascinet features vertical creases running downward from the apes as well as an applied brass cruciform cap plate. This booklet is packed with detailed color photographs documenting every step of the process and comes complete with detailed instructions as well as full sized patterns. This booklet contains two sets of patterns for either a living history version or SCA combat version of the bascinet with a grill faced visor. $8.00. This booklet is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format for $7.00 ($1.00 off!)"

Last edited by Nick Esposito on Mon 03 Jan, 2011 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Esposito wrote:
The GDFB Cervelliere is about a bowl shaped as it gets and it has no mounting poinst for an aventail. If your are planing to modify one, your going to have a very hard time unless you have some pretty heavy duty tools, (seing as though its 14 guage steel.

This kind could be worn by itself, over a coif ( So no aventail needed ) or even under the maille coif in many cases.

Sizing is an issue: How large or close fitting is this GDFB Cervelière ? Very big, over the coif, very small under the coif.

Just curious since if it's very small it could be too small for " big " heads but ideally very small is good if it fits since one could then use a big " enough " Great Helm over the Cervelère.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > what is this helmet?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic