Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sovereign pics Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Sovereign pics         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I got my Sovereign today, despite UPS's best efforts (they sent it from Wisconsin to Illinois to New Jersey). Apparently they don't own a globe at UPS.....

I'm happy with it over all. The grip is more brown than the oxblood I ordered, but Jason Dingledine gave me some tips to try to bring out more of the oxblood in it (thanks, Jason!). I polished up the bronze, and scrubbed a bit of crud off the blade, and she looks great.

I'm hoping to go kill some pool noodles tonight. Happy

Here are a couple of quick pics.

Attachment: 43.79 KB
upload1.jpg

Attachment: 28.77 KB
upload2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
W. Patrick McGuigan

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Chad! It's gorgeous!

The bronze looks very nice.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree...the bronze does look nice.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice indeed Big Grin

I really love my Sovereign not only for it's handling aspects but it's a real looker too Eek!

Enjoy!

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Thanks for the kind words. I really dig this sword. I wish the grip were more oxblood than brown, but I don't think I'll send it back. Happy It did well against pool noodles, and feels good in the hand The subtleties of the cross are cool, and the blade is very nicely executed over all. The shape of the grip with the risers is both comfortable and good-looking. The pommel is nice, though I may have to fill in the pommel recess with something. I'm happy with it.

Happy

ChadA

B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say I'm happy with my all steel Sovereign. The all bronze looks fantastic as well. Are you going to be at sword fest Chad?
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
I must say I'm happy with my all steel Sovereign. The all bronze looks fantastic as well. Are you going to be at sword fest Chad?

Unfortunately, I have to work that weekend (the life of a musician). I hope to make the next one, though.

Happy

ChadA

Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a really beautiful sword, Chad! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pics. Happy

Any chance of seeing a formal review one of these days?

Regards,

Mike
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! The Sovereign is right at the top of my list, but I might hold out for the upcoming "plain" type-XIV. It will be interesting to see the two side-by side.

Brian M
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice sword. I'm really fond of mine. It has a lot of medieval charm. Did the bronze guard move the POB closer?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
Nice sword. I'm really fond of mine. It has a lot of medieval charm. Did the bronze guard move the POB closer?

Not by my calculations. It adds about 1 oz to the overall weight, and the POB is still at 4 inches.

Happy

ChadA

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Grip         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Hey guys,
Thanks for the kind words. I really dig this sword. I wish the grip were more oxblood than brown, but I don't think I'll send it back. Happy It did well against pool noodles, and feels good in the hand The subtleties of the cross are cool, and the blade is very nicely executed over all. The shape of the grip with the risers is both comfortable and good-looking. The pommel is nice, though I may have to fill in the pommel recess with something. I'm happy with it.

Chad, glad you like the sword. Chad, oxblood (according to Feibings) is a brownish red. It is made by adding brown to red and adding some blue to bring out the burgundy. The humidity sometimes effects the color too. Two pieces of the same leather with the same bottle of dye, dyed at different humidity levels will yield slightly different shades. In any event, the only way to get an oxblood grip to be red is to make it "red" instead of oxblood. Happy

Are you coming up to Lanzefest or Swordfest? If so, you can bring it with you and I can try to adjust it to your liking.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.

Last edited by Eric McHugh on Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Grip         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Chad, glad you like the sword. Chad, oxblood (according to Feibings) is a brownish red. It is made by adding brown to red and adding some blue to bring out the burgundy. The humidity sometimes effects the color too. Two pieces of the same leather with the same bottle of dye will, dyed at different humidity levels will yield slightly different shades. In any event, the only way to get an oxblood grip to be red is to make it "red" instead of oxblood. Happy

Are you coming up to Lanzefest or Swordfest? If so, you can bring it with you and I can try to adjust it to your liking.

Eric,
Thanks for the explanation. The grip color is fine; I originally ordered brown, the changed to oxblood, the almost changed back to brown. Maybe a touch more in the maroon department would be cool. But I'm inclined to leave it as it is for now.

I can't make SwordFest, but I may make it to Lanzefest. If my wife has to work over Labor Day weekend, then I'll make the trek northward.

Happy

ChadA

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Grip         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I can't make SwordFest, but I may make it to Lanzefest. If my wife has to work over Labor Day weekend, then I'll make the trek northward.

Very Cool!!! Well, if you change your mind, bring it along, and I'll see what I can do. Happy

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it came to Jersey for a reason...

Don't worry, I wiped my fingerprints off before sending the Sov on its way Wink

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric: That may be the way Feiblings describes oxblood, but I believe the attached picture is what most people associate with oxlblood leather.

In essence it's the "lawyer's office furnature" oxblood people are thinking about. If it's truly oxblood, I don't know though.

Attachment: 56.41 KB
almktng_1787_6491822.gif

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Eric: That may be the way Feiblings describes oxblood, but I believe the attached picture is what most people associate with oxlblood leather.

In essence it's the "lawyer's office furnature" oxblood people are thinking about. If it's truly oxblood, I don't know though.

I understand. That looks like it has some brown in it too. It is a difficult thing. Leather dye likes to do its own thing. We cannot use the same process that a factory would use to make furniture. That process, though it makes color very standard, keeps the leather from taking water and glue, so we could not do our signature grips. Add to this the fact that even though we have a very large dehumidifier, Wisconsin is pretty humid in the summer. That humidity effects the way the dye sets in the leather and as a result we get different shades. It is a frustrating thing all around. With that said, oxblood as the Fiebings rep said has brown in it, so in order to get a red grip, red should be used. I know I sound defensive, please understand I'm not, but it is a difficult thing to match a color to a person's expectation. It drives us insane many days. The best I can say is that if it is really off, we can try and fix it. We want people to be happy with their sword. That is the bottom line.

You mentioned "lawyer's office furniture" oxblood...are you sure it is ox-blood? Razz

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric,
Not to fuel the fire, but the website's graphic makes it look like there's a noticeable difference between brown and ox-blood. I think that's where the "customer's expectation" comes from. We're expecting something closer to the picture.

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad...from the picture....I can't tell the oxblood from the brown. I can tell the light brown though.

I guess we all just need to emphaze more reddish and less brownish when we want that.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Chad...from the picture....I can't tell the oxblood from the brown. I can tell the light brown though.

I guess we all just need to emphaze more reddish and less brownish when we want that.

Joe,
On this monitor, there's a definite difference. The oxblood has a lot of maroon, while the brown looks, well, brown. Happy Based on what I can see from that pic on Albion's site, my grip looks to be a darker brown than their brown.

As I said, it's a little different than what I expected, but not enough of an issue to warrant having it re-done right now.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sovereign pics
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: