Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sovereign pics Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Chad...from the picture....I can't tell the oxblood from the brown. I can tell the light brown though.

I guess we all just need to emphaze more reddish and less brownish when we want that.

Joe,
On this monitor, there's a definite difference. The oxblood has a lot of maroon, while the brown looks, well, brown. Happy Based on what I can see from that pic on Albion's site, my grip looks to be a darker brown than their brown.

As I said, it's a little different than what I expected, but not enough of an issue to warrant having it re-done right now.

I have some visual problems with red, so that may be why I'm missing the difference. I tend to need things to be very VERY distinctly red to tell the difference.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Chad...from the picture....I can't tell the oxblood from the brown. I can tell the light brown though.

I guess we all just need to emphaze more reddish and less brownish when we want that.

Joe,
On this monitor, there's a definite difference. The oxblood has a lot of maroon, while the brown looks, well, brown. Happy Based on what I can see from that pic on Albion's site, my grip looks to be a darker brown than their brown.

As I said, it's a little different than what I expected, but not enough of an issue to warrant having it re-done right now.

Same here, on my monitor, Chad. I remember being at the Atlanta Blade Show with you at Albion's booth while you were contemplating grip colors. You were shown an oxblood sample and that is what you chose. That that time, the Oxblood color was quite a bit more red/burgundy than your sword has on it now. It's also quite different than the Oxblood on a review sample sword I have here right now. As Eric says, there's variance in the color and whatnot, but in this case, I do see it to be quite a big variance. Still quite attractive though!

Having seen as many Albion swords as I've seen and noting the differences in recipies for colors, I think it's safe to say that the Albion oxblood is quite a bit more brown than consumers are used to seeing when compared to what other companies call oxblood acorss industries: sword, furniture, shoe, or what have you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:

You mentioned "lawyer's office furniture" oxblood...are you sure it is ox-blood? :p

The oxblood grip on my FirstGen Gaddhjalt is a close match for the leather chairs it hangs over in my law office, so I guess the color can be fairly called "lawyer's office furniture". Both have a definite red cast to them, like dark brick, but much more brown than the red grip on my Crecy. Albion's brown grips are noticeably darker, nearly black in some light. I suspect the individual variation from one piece of leather to another may account for the comparatively brownish appearance of this sword.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Eric McHugh wrote:

You mentioned "lawyer's office furniture" oxblood...are you sure it is ox-blood? Razz

The oxblood grip on my FirstGen Gaddhjalt is a close match for the leather chairs it hangs over in my law office, so I guess the color can be fairly called "lawyer's office furniture". Both have a definite red cast to them, like dark brick, but much more brown than the red grip on my Crecy. Albion's brown grips are noticeably darker, nearly black in some light. I suspect the individual variation from one piece of leather to another may account for the comparatively brownish appearance of this sword.

Albion changed their oxblood recipe fairly drastically since the First Gen's were released. What they now call "Magenta" is a bit more like what was Oxblood back then.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, Congrats on a fine looking sword. I hope it brings you a lot of enjoyment. Sorry I won't be at the Ohio gathering to see it in person.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
Chad, Congrats on a fine looking sword. I hope it brings you a lot of enjoyment. Sorry I won't be at the Ohio gathering to see it in person.

Thanks! It's already brought me enjoyment, and I'm sure there will be much more of that to come.

We'll have plenty of other Ohio area gatherings over the next few years, I'm sure. Hope to see you at future events!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Humidity is a huge factor, but You also have to remember when dealing with organic materials the composition may not always be the same. What if that cow had a scar? thickness of leather ........ another factor

Honestly Chad, that first hilt closeup picture you posted looked BLACK in my monitor.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
What if that cow had a scar? .

Awww, poor cow!

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
Honestly Chad, that first hilt closeup picture you posted looked BLACK in my monitor.

David,
It is a pretty rich, dark brown with (very) small hints of burgundy.

As far as it looking black, my pics, as Nathan knows Happy, usually come out with a little color skewing as a result of my camera and lighting setup.

Happy

ChadA

Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looked black in mine too, made me concerned for the oxblood wrap on my Viceroy.
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must agree on the black quality of oxblood. I ordered a Vinland and the wrap looked black. And really looks black in photos. But in sunlight you can definitely see the brownish red quality very much like old dried blood. Even moreso when the sword is in it's brown sheath. Very odd. Happy
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The oxblood on my Baron was pretty much what I expected, a deep red hue with hints of brown and black. I ordered my Sovereign with a brown grip but asked Mike if they could make it a few shades lighter than norm. It actually shows hints of red so the grip colors between both swords are very close. Anyway, I don't mind this at all and in some respect it makes each sword unique since the color is more or less custom depending on how the leather and dye react. My Viceroy will have a deep purple or plum grip so let's see how that turns out Big Grin
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary:

That was the other color scheme I was thinking of and after reading your post I've decided to switch to the dark plum/purple as well.

I think it'll go nicely with the blackened fittings.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the oxblood as it is, very deep, rusty red. Looks like ... blood! Wink

I at first thought the grip was black. Maybe that's my penchant for black/bronze combinations. I love the all-bronze hilt work Happy One day soon, I'll have a Sovereign with an ultra-purdy plum grip and bronze pommel... might be too fancy for the bulldog buckler-sword!

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Gary:

That was the other color scheme I was thinking of and after reading your post I've decided to switch to the dark plum/purple as well.

I think it'll go nicely with the blackened fittings.

Hi Thomas,

Well, actually the Viceroy arrived at my doorstep no more than an hour ago Big Grin

What I can tell you about the grip color is that it is a very dark plum. In some light it appears as a deep burgundy to black. So it's less purple than I imagined but still very, very nice. This was an experiment so I knew it might have wound different than what I had in my head.

As for the sword, it's all I expected and much more. Your going to be thrilled with yours I promise Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent, that sounds perfect!

Please post pics!
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my Sovereign:
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pics and nice sword. I can't wait to handle this one at the Round Table. I know Shane Allee was interested int his one also. We'll all like to see this little baby.

If nothing else works for you, dye-wise, I can send you home from the Round Table with some nice thin undyed oak-tannned leather I have on hand, and a catlog that has some dyes and stains---you could give it a shot as a project for yourself?

Anyways, looking forward to seeing this one "in the steel"
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:
Nice pics and nice sword. I can't wait to handle this one at the Round Table. I know Shane Allee was interested int his one also. We'll all like to see this little baby.

If nothing else works for you, dye-wise, I can send you home from the Round Table with some nice thin undyed oak-tannned leather I have on hand, and a catlog that has some dyes and stains---you could give it a shot as a project for yourself?

Anyways, looking forward to seeing this one "in the steel"

Nate,
Thanks for the compliments. I'll definitely bring this one along. As I said above, the grip is fine. I originally ordered brown, then changed to ox-blood, and almost had Mike change it back to brown. It's kind of in-between, so I got both colors. Happy

I expected a little more maroon/burgundy, but it looks nice like it is. Thanks, though. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Albion changed their oxblood recipe fairly drastically since the First Gen's were released. What they now call "Magenta" is a bit more like what was Oxblood back then.

I just received an Agincourt with magenta grip. It is much more lavender than the old oxblood grip on my Gaddhjalt, and also is darker. From a distance either of them is a reasonable match for my leather chairs, but up close the oxblood is a closer match. Magenta looks nice, I recommend it despite the name.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sovereign pics
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: