Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Silly/Juvenile Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

lots of poop, dead cows, and other nasty biological warfare stuff to be dropped in strategic places to cause death, disease and plagues. only reason i say this cause if your riding a dragon you prob don't have planes
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about a MK 108 30 mm cannon (or four)?
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: dragon poop         Reply with quote

The most fearsome projectile available : dried out balls of dragon fecies, it holds true to form with the question and is certainly a lethal thing to be hit with....and opens untold possibilities with regards to provenance...
Bon coeur et bon bras
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Use the powers of funky action at a distance, so my wildly voguing fists could smite someone 30 feet away.
Thomas A. Leigh

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being a traditionalist, I would probably have to drop anvils, Acme brand safes, & grand pianos.
But before that, I'd have to soften up the enemy by dropping leaflets telling how Burt Renyolds & Samuel L. Jackson were sleeping with all their wives while they are away fighting.
R Ashby

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: WOW         Reply with quote

I've said it before- you guys are awesome!!!! Thank you so much!

1st- the story is about the dragon rider, and less the dragon, so I'll have to limit the amount of "solution by dragon fire" that occurs. D&D and recent movies limit the number of breaths they do in a day. I rather prefer the idea of Jean's idea of it taking too much food/energy to create fire. So, it can be done, but only sparingly.

The dragon I had in mind was only a bit bigger than the one pictured on this thread- so not a gargantuan thing like Smaug. It's intelligent, and isn't controlled as much as consents to be ridden. Thus the rider doesn't need reins, and only needs something to hold onto (I'm working on this)

Here's what I've come up with so far, both based on your info and my own thoughts/research:

Archery: This is the obvious choice- but flying at too much speed would make this difficult. At first (when I posted) I decided that this was probably not realistic for 50mph+, but then I realized that a horse at full gallop is not that slower than that, and after looking into accounts of Mongol, Japanese and Plains Indian archery I decided that a composite recurved bow would be a good choice.

Sword: She already has a hand-and-a-half sword based on Nathan's Swiss Sabre, which would be good for mounted work, but not so good for dragon-back fighting, as your opponents are going to be too far.

Throwing Axes: Cool idea, but too heavy and not as practical as arrows.

Crossbow: too hard to reload (confirmed by the good folks here)

Lance: Too much like Dragonlance- and I'd like to avoid sounding like a take-off of a D&D serial. Also, If she could hit it with the lance the dragon could bite it for her, so what is the point? And, getting unseated would necessarily involve falling to death, thus making it impractical.

Long Polearm: I liked this idea- something like a naginata or one of the Korean polearms used in mounted combat, as it has reach, is effective to the sides, and would do a bucket load of damage. But if she chops into something that provides resistance, such as an armoured opponent, the force carried back into her arm and shoulder is going to either dismount her or do some serious damage to her hand/arm/shoulder, and therefore the idea is cool, but impractical.

Throwing knives: why do this when I can use arrows.

Javelins: A better idea- she could use short, heavy ones. The force of her throw working with the dragon's momentum could be good. But are they better than arrows?

Caltrops: Blooming good idea, that one! Definitely makes the cut.

Bottles of oil: I like this one- she could drop them on people and the dragon could put out a little puff of fire and light them up. Or maybe some type of napalm.

What about a really powerful slingshot? Something that could knock you silly, even if you were wearing a helmet. That'd be original!

I'm currently working on my 6th novel in the series. You guys have helped me at some crucial points- either by answering my questions or by providing information in previous posts. If anyone wants to read an excerpt or two of the ROUGH draft, let me know and I'll email something to you. It's the least I can do.

And for the record, trying to describe Nathan's sword is a pain in the butt!
R Ashby

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: dragon poop         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
The most fearsome projectile available : dried out balls of dragon fecies, it holds true to form with the question and is certainly a lethal thing to be hit with....and opens untold possibilities with regards to provenance...

LOL- especially if it has bits of dead knight's weapon and armour in it..............
R Ashby

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marik C.S. wrote:
Also, due to the fire-breathing, dragons are less prone to attacks with burning pigs. Using dragons against Roman armies would actually save a lot in dragon food I guess.
But the point about the maximum weight a dragon may have in order to fly is an important one, that would collide with the prospect of having a war tower on the dragons back.
Also, are we talking about a dragon with four legs and two wings or more of a wyvern like it is portrait in heraldic devices with two wings and only two legs, sort of like a Archaeopteryx? The latter ones are best used flying I think, but those might me more likely since most animals we know have four limbs.

Some "special forces" (Imperial Guard) ride wyverns. Dragons themselves are very rare. My heroine killed a dragon in the second book that is ridden by a bounty hunter, one that is Smaug-like. The one she's going to ride is smaller, maybe with a body of 5-6m, and a corresponding wingspan. As it is a non-earth setting, I don't worry as much with measurements, as they wouldn't be using our units anyhow. The dragon has a crocodilian head, a longish neck, the obligatory leather wings and a long tail with a bony club on the end.
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like this thread - despite it's fictious contents - very much. It fuels my imagination on this freezing cold winter morning Wink. Haven't read good fantasy for a long time, I guess. What a shame... Anyway, thanks for this hell of a dragon-ride! Happy

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
R Ashby

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
I like this thread - despite it's fictious contents - very much. It fuels my imagination on this freezing cold winter morning Wink. Haven't read good fantasy for a long time, I guess. What a shame... Anyway, thanks for this hell of a dragon-ride! Happy

Thomas

Here's the first three of the books I've written, with a LOT of help from here.

#1- Assassin of Nara
#2- The Cold Touch of Steel
#3- The Shifting Sands of Darkness
#4- A Thousand Slaves For Eternity
#5- The Blood Red Sun
#6- The Dragon Rider (currently on page 200)

to come:
#7- To Kill A Wizard
#8- The Dragon's Heart

So the questions aren't totally stupid :-)

Attachment: 76.96 KB
IMG_3472.jpg

Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, when are we able to get these at amazon? Wink
I've got to wait until march for the last book of the Witcher series by Sapkowski and your books might fill that time

I like the slingshot idea, maybe combined with the darts/caltrops, that would make for a hellish weapon, shooting a bag of caltrops into someones face would possibly be a distraction for the target.

The reason you might want to use javelins rather than arrows is force, a javelin is heavier and thus has at the same speed as the arrow a much higher force, at the speeds we are talking about, it might have as much force as a ballista. And also throwing stuff is even easier than bending a bow at those velocities.
R Ashby

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marik C.S. wrote:
So, when are we able to get these at amazon? Wink
I've got to wait until march for the last book of the Witcher series by Sapkowski and your books might fill that time

I like the slingshot idea, maybe combined with the darts/caltrops, that would make for a hellish weapon, shooting a bag of caltrops into someones face would possibly be a distraction for the target.

The reason you might want to use javelins rather than arrows is force, a javelin is heavier and thus has at the same speed as the arrow a much higher force, at the speeds we are talking about, it might have as much force as a ballista. And also throwing stuff is even easier than bending a bow at those velocities.

I think you might be right about the javelins.

I'll send you an excerpt or two in the next few days- I've got the first one down to the final edit- I'm up to page 214 of 324, so soon I'll be hunting for a publisher. That's the really big step. If I get no joy, I'll self-publish. You got to love writing, because it's definitely not an easy way to make money LOL
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marik C.S. wrote:

The obvious thing is that if thrown from high up the javelins might have as much if not more energy/velocity than a ballista bolt.

Accuracy might be a problem if thrown from very high up or if the dragon is flying fast against single targets but against a large group or formation it would be more like suppressive fire.

Oh, plumbata like the Romans used late in the Empire are short and compact and weighted with lead and larger numbers of them could be carried i.e. a couple of dozen or more.

And again remember the hovering just out of arrow range/height would work with arrows or crossbow bolts.( Assuming the dragon can hover in place: This takes a lot more power and energy and wing beat rate, so the dragon might not be able to do this for more than a few seconds before getting too tired to stay aloft ...... maybe a minute or two if fresh ? A few seconds of hovering should be enough for 3 to 6 precison arrows targeting or one precise crossbow shot ).

Although you decided against the crossbow compact and powerful ones can be reloaded easily, if very slowly, from horseback or in this case dragon back.

Also, your weapons considerations can be divided between what is useful used from the back of the dragon in flight and other weapons to be used if off the dragon: This is where the spear or other polearm might be useful even if dragon to dragon lance fights are impossible. ( You can't be on the dragon 24/7 and some missions or fighting might be indoors of places the dragon won't or can't go. ( Making the dragon a little temperamental or having a phobia or irrational fear of something might be interesting plot-wise: A bit like the Elephant being afraid of mice ? Maybe your dragon could have a fear of bats or it's smell would attract amorous bats who would chase your dragon everywhere if they get a whiff or him or her if it's a female dragon ? The dragon could also have a fear of large open water and be hard to convince crossing any wide body of water ? ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
R Ashby

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

She carries a bastard sword, 4 throwing knives and either two long daggers or two short swords (falcata) she uses in tight conditions, or in conjunction with her big sword. She also has a stiletto she uses. She carries a recurved composite bow when out and about. If she falls into water, she'll surely sink with all that metal LOL

I originally thought of a polearm for her, but her initial training is as an assassin, and I wanted to keep her free to climb walls and do ninja stuff, which she couldn't do quite as easily with a polearm. Though her character has grown beyond the assassin role, she still reverts to her training when she needs to, and so prefers lighter, more maneuverable weapons. But she'll pick up whatever she needs, and often gets things made up for her when she needs something special for a job.

I'm still working on the dragon character- but I'm thinking that he might be a very small dragon- like the size of a mid-sized dog, who can magically grow large when needed. He stays small because this requires less food (helpless princesses and farmer's sheep), which draws less attention to himself. But when he needs, he can grow to large size, though while he is large he must eat correspondingly larger amounts of food, which means that when he is large he either 1) sleeps all the time, 2) eats all the time and then can stay large, fly and use his fire breath, or 3) eats regularly, but can not fly and breathe fire extensively- forcing him to choose one or the other.

I dunno- I'm still working on it. Magic can be used to fix some problems like these in fantasy, but I think relying on it too much makes the story weak. I find it more interesting to model dragons on big predators such as lions, big bears, orca or goannas, giving them weaknesses that are inherent in big predators. Resources are the big limiters for them- it's all about energy consumption vs energy production. So he is limited because he stays small much of the time, or when he is big he flies but does not use fire, or uses fire but does not fly, or he is having to eat a lot. In my second story there is a dragon riding bounty hunter who feeds his quarry, and anyone else he feels like, to his dragon sort of like a chinese fisherman will feed bits of fish to a cormorant or otter he has trained to do the dirty work for him. But that dragon was big, dumb and slept all the time when he wasn't being ridden. This one is an actual character in the book, so he is intelligent. A totally different species. I guess it would be like comparing a sperm whale to an orca or dolphin. Or maybe a great white shark to a dolphin.

I'll have a look at those Roman spears. I like the spear idea too. I'd want spears for the big stuff, and arrows for the smaller stuff. But then if the rider has to carry the stuff when the dragon is not full size, spears may be of limited practicality.

LOL- maybe I should have her wizard boyfriend conjure up a bazooka and be done with it LOL
R Ashby

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

martiobarbuli might be the go- they are light and small enough to be carried, but are also heavy enough to be effective in flight.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why not have the dragon roughly the same size as a large horse all the time. That way he isn't very impractical, but needs to eat a lot still. If he's a young dragon, then that could explain why he can't use his breath so often, maybe it's a thing that comes about in dragon puberty. As for mounted weapons, javelins are one of the best at high speed as you just have to feed them into the target rather than throw with any force. I'd suggest a long sword as well, so she has something to use if people get too close. Also, they can fight back to back if cornered then. Maybe she should have a small short bow as well to use for hunting and sniping in case dragon riding isn't appropriate.

For saddles, the roman style is awesome, and helps to suggest the idea of passive control, as there aren't any stirrups, only 4 horns:

http://www.findonvillage.com/p1980_romans_0398.jpg

add a handle for when the dragon has to fly upside down and you've got a lovely lightweight and apparently very comfortable saddle.
R Ashby

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
Why not have the dragon roughly the same size as a large horse all the time. That way he isn't very impractical, but needs to eat a lot still. If he's a young dragon, then that could explain why he can't use his breath so often, maybe it's a thing that comes about in dragon puberty. As for mounted weapons, javelins are one of the best at high speed as you just have to feed them into the target rather than throw with any force. I'd suggest a long sword as well, so she has something to use if people get too close. Also, they can fight back to back if cornered then. Maybe she should have a small short bow as well to use for hunting and sniping in case dragon riding isn't appropriate.

For saddles, the roman style is awesome, and helps to suggest the idea of passive control, as there aren't any stirrups, only 4 horns:

http://www.findonvillage.com/p1980_romans_0398.jpg

add a handle for when the dragon has to fly upside down and you've got a lovely lightweight and apparently very comfortable saddle.

Zac- you're a genius. A young dragon would fit in perfectly with the story. She uses a bastard sword (weapon of choice) and a recurved bow in the previous books. Jean's throwing spears, combined with a cavalry bow, sword and daggers would about do it.

Also, a young dragon could put out a bit of fire- enough to ignite oil form a broken bottle thrown by the rider, but not enough to completely incinerate someone. I've had problems on how she ends up with a dragon, but a young one, even if it was newly hatched, would make sense.

Ha- this is coming together quite nicely. You guys are great! Thank you so much!

And the roman saddle is awesome- I was going to start looking into saddles tomorrow.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When travelling a pack horse & a riding horse and at least one servant/companion/apprentice fighter to do some of the work and to keep watch when sleeping and watch your back: This means a few extra weapons like a couple of spare swords like a longsword ( twohander ) and a more compact travelling sword/large dagger ( Cinquedea ).

Small personal weapons:
A) 15" stout bladed Rondel.
B) 10" bladed Ballock, or quillon, or baselard, or Eared dagger.
C) 2 to 4 small 4" blade throwing daggers.
D) Utility/eating knife ..... last ditch fighting knife.

Useful stuff:
A) Small axe for fighting or utility use.
B) Medieval Chopper also for fighting or brush clearance.
C) A buckler can be useful with the riding sword.
D) Spiked mace if one has to fight someone in heavy armour.

All this extra stuff not a large burden with at least a pack horse or mule and some of the weapons would be available to the servant.

Oh, a large wolf/dog can be very useful to keep watch or sniff out ambushes and might even be interesting keeping the dragon from seeing the dog and horses as potential food when in it's large form ..... actually the dog and dragon could be very friendly with the dog being very confused when the dragon in large form sort of look at it salivating and resisting the temptation to take a less than friendly bite.

A talking intelligent Raven could be a good arial scout and could memorize messages and be a talking messenger pigeon

Well, just giving you sub-plot ideas here for either comic relief and these can sometimes lead to interesting plot lines. Wink Laughing Out Loud

If I'm not careful I might get tempted to write a book myself. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So my first response was going to be a telescope and a signal mirror. I'm thinking military application here, where having an exclusive overhead view of events would be more valuable than one dragon's combat ability, but it depends on the context.

However, if you are debating between javelins and a slingshot, why not split the difference and use an atlatl or some similar kind of dart/spear thrower? Personally I think it's a better choice from the back of dragon than a bow, as the lower spar of the bow seems likely to interfere with/be interfered with by the wings, neck, tail, etc. As with all of these things, it depends on the anatomy/body shape of your dragon. Personally I find it more interesting if the dragon's form presents challenges to the rider than if it is optimized for being ridden. So it seems to me that the area of a dragon's body that might be strong enough to support a rider is also the part that supports the wings, meaning it would be hard/impossible to ride it like a horse with the legs hanging down the sides. You'd either have to kneel on it's back, or hang your legs forward over the shoulders (sitting more like in a chair), or sit right on its neck, which isn't as strong as the back.

Since you get to design the dragon, you can design it however you like, of course. As I said, I just prefer when stuff like this involves the character discovering unforeseen problems and/or different advantages than anticipated.

"General I've rigged a harness up so I can hang below the dragon, and fight troops on the ground as he flies over!"

"Do you really think I'm going to risk my only dragon in direct combat? Get up in the sky and tell me where their supply wagons are! And if you see any archers, bug out!"

Ottawa Swordplay
F. Carl Holz

Location: someplace out on the water (and probably not able to access my PM)
Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a buddy of mine once said something about ninjas draining eggs and filling the shells with crushed glass, sand, pepper, or whatever else to cause havoc on the eyes. when they needed it they would just crush the egg in their hand and "throw" it at their adversary effectively blinding them. don't know if there's any truth to any of that but if you were being chased while flying I can see that sort of thing working out pretty well for you. sort of like the whole oil slick thing they do with cars in the movies... course i don't know if that really works either :P
31. And there are some whom everyone should consider to be wise...
-Le Livre de Chevalerie, Geffroi Charny-

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Silly/Juvenile Question
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: