Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somewhere I heard my name on the intrawebs, hiya Greg, hope all is well with you!

Robert-

As a continuing student of Bob Charron and St. Martin's Academy, I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have or put you in direct contact with Bob. I can say that working with Bob has been one of the great pleasures of my life so far. The focus as I see it is about understanding the concepts of martial culture through out history and applying that understanding to physical action. Sounds a bit esoteric, I know. But it is a physically and mentally challenging task to relearn how a modern body should move and react in a martial context. I live right in Janesville, so if you want to get together and chat just drop me a PM.

Best-

Chris

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Well if you want more rough and tumble and less combat techniques, the SCA maybe a good fit.

Oh no, I would not trade combat techniques for rough and tumble. The history and heritage are too important to me, for me to do that.

The SCA was one of the first places I checked out, but I don't like some of their rules and equipment req's. I can understand the need for protection, but I think the thickness of armour required is a little bit much, (I think I remember hearing medieval armour was closer to 18g than 14g) considering they are using rattan sticks and not steel blunts. But I can understand how they have it like that for safety and insurance purposes, and in the future I would like to try it for the experience of massed combat.

And i'm not completely obsessed with roughness either, so I don't think I would like the MMA.

Thanks Chris, Dan Rosen already gave me Mr. Charrons e-mail, though I don't plan on making my rounds of all the groups in my area 'till around early spring. I'll have more free time then. And my friend is temporarily working nights and i'd like to bring him along because he is interested in this kind of stuff too (although he is not as deep into the obsession as me) and it would also be cool to have someone else there I already know.

And that would be cool to get together, i'll try and send you a pm but it will have to be later as i'm leaving for work.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just to get a gauge im just seeing which suits your interest levels most robert.
here is longsword sparring from an english group on bar with the levels i see many american hema groups spar at?
correct me people if any comments are wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E22B8E2MXi0

here is a polish hema group what i would call a bit rougher although more experienced fighters in america etc fight at this level and some of the guys in these videos are from the polish arma branch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7aXtzf7-Lk

now sca that i have seen this video shows various forms of sca
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjh8EQ5h40

this is a form of sca style combat from the ukraine which i think might be a shade rougher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113LB33DLEU

then normal mma fighting which is pride and k1 and ufc i believe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2f6RGVZ5SI

then rougher mma rioheroes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_qAjKmOBnY&feature=related

where are you at in regards to what interests you most?

for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan thanks for thinking to post the vid's, but i'm afraid I won't be able to see them. At least not for awhile. I have dial-up internet and so loading anything takes hours...it would probably take me 5 hours or so to load all the vid's you posted.

I could check them on my friends laptop (and high speed internet) this saturday when I see him though, depends on how many "=3" videos he wants to show me. lol.

I did see a few other videos of sparring and such on his laptop before, particularly ARMA video's. My favorite video was one of Aarron Pyneburg (I think thats his name) and some other guy, fighting in full harness. It was pretty cool.

I also saw a vid someone posted on here in august, of something called "battle of the nations". That was pretty rough. I would not engage in anything like that unless I had a FULL GOTHIC HARNESS. Needless to say i'm not looking for anything quite that rough, not for a weekly study group anyway.

Besides lots of ARMA sparring vid's showing lots of grappling, I also saw a Finnish or Swedish video of a group doing longsword/messer/dagger and spear techniques. That was pretty awesome as well. Happy

As far as MMA is concerned, I probably wouldn't be interested. The whole cage match thing seems a bit much, and those guys usually look pretty full of themselves. At least on TV lol.

I'm sure I want to get into WMA, even if it isn't rough, because i've had a life long fascination with knights and essentially everything medieval or relating to armour and weapons.

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
Well if you want more rough and tumble and less combat techniques, the SCA maybe a good fit. Unlike HEMA, the SCA doesn't pull the shot at the end and does a full follow through attack. There is some armor and targeting requirements due to this along with grappling being banned...but if you don't wanna hold back and swing away, that is the group you want. Course, nothing says you can't do both. I don't know about the midwest, but the west fighters are pretty opening to incorporating HEMA stuff. One of the dukes (a high ranked fighter in the SCA) has been starting to use hutton saber techniques a bit and I have been experimenting with I.33 with stapped on shields for example.

without trying do be too OT I just have to clarify that this depends a bit on what HEMA group you join. Some of us do strike with full intent and have no pulling the shots. The technique can differ though because we simulate sharp weapons and rely on drawcuts and thrusts as well as full strikes.

Oranges and Apples you know!

I´m off in January to a SCA camp that focus on fighting focusing on manuscripts!

I disagree. NO HEMA group does full follow through. They all have to pull their shots becaus if you don't and you don't have armor on...well your gonna KILL somebody. If we have fencing masks on and I throw and land an SCA flat snap on your head, you a dead man. Hell I don't even need a steel blunt, my SCA rattan sword will kill you just fine. A wooden waster too. Full intent is one thing, but in HEMA unless you have some heafty armor one, your gonna have to pull the shots at the end or face murder charges.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, after 15 years of fighting as a heavy in the SCA, quite successfully, and about the same time in HEMA studies, I feel qualified to say that this is a very vague, and apples to oranges discussion.

I really don't want to get into the origins of SCA blow conventions, which claims a good blow is meant to penetrate mail armour, although that idea was invented 44 years ago with no real data behind it - we now know that armoured knights in riveted mail died to successions of blows, not to a single, mail-shearing blow. So, the convention stands, but really means a hard, solid blow. What is "full power"? Certainly what constitutes a "good blow" in the SCA varies from kingdom to kingdom; to put it in SCA parlance, a basic good blow in Meridies (the Southern US) certainly isn't a good blow in Atlantia (DC area) or An TIr (Northwest). And what is a "good blow" might be the hardest one person can hit and not even close to what another can do.

But in truth, the blows are hard, but not so hard as to be a danger to someone wearing SCA minimum armour. Which is only a 16 gauge steel helmet, hard elbows, knees, kidney protection, a gorget and kidney protection. Hockey gloves are the standard for hand protection. Yes, most people wear more than that, but that remains the 'standard' for safety gear. It is still a minority for many, many people to wear anything close to the mail hauberk over padding and helm (or helmet with mail drape) that the SCA "standard" is meant to represent.

Conversely, WMA "unarmoured" combat assumes that the opponent is wearing street clothes or a gambeson, and no more, so a solid cut or thrust will do the trick. While some groups will allow a lighter blow that I would, for most places this means that the blow needs to be solid - no flicks, draw cuts, etc. Do people hit as hard as they can? No. But there is no purpose in doing so, there is no assumed armour to counter. Do they hit *hard*? Often, yes.

I certainly agree that a fencing mask would be caved in by such a basic SCA flat-snap with a rattan club. But I also don't think it suitable for a longsword match, either. Which is why, my own group, and many others in the US, wear a gambeson (or padded, leather fencing master's jacket), steel gauntlets, hard elbow protection, a gorget and a helmet, specifically designed for the activity, such as those made by Windrose Armoury: http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?m...cts_id=641

IE: we're wearing about the same gear as SCA minimum standards, and in some case a bit more. Which is hardly armoured combat, but then that was my point - neither of these activities actually require a fully armoured man. Happy

I will also note that while a rattan baton hits with less authority in most places, the wider surface area actually means that it strikes harder in many ways to the head - many blows that will cause a thin steel blade to glance off a bascinet or reinforced coaches mask "stick" with a rattan baton and transmit force differently into the target.

Honestly, one thing the SCA does is hit hard, but what precisely that means vis a vis unarmoured swordsmanship, or what that means outside of your experience is really moot. Your assertion that "NO HEMA group does this" is a lot like someone saying that no SCA event does real armoured combat, since no matter what a combatant wears, the combat convention remains the same - one solid blow thwarts any armour worn, giving a strange advantage in what is ostensibly "armoured combat" to people who wear close to SCA minimum, while penalizing a man in full plate kit. That *is* true on the surface, but it is also true that tere are SCA specialty tournaments, and have been since I was fighting in them in the 90s, that allow for armour as worn, and other events, like the Pennsic Battle of the Thirty, that have allowed half-swording, light grapples, knockdowns, etc.

Martin was quite right - this is apples to oranges, especially as there is no universal HEMA standard, so unless you are really involved from the inside and interacting with a wide variety of groups and practitioners, sweeping assertions are inappropriate.

Having done both activities, you will find varying degrees of force and aggressiveness in both, and wildly varying degrees of skill in both. But good fighters tend to be good fighters, be they HEMA, SCA, kendo or modern fencers.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanx Greg!

This is just what I ment! SCA fighting is a sport. HEMA is a bunch of systems made to kill! If I would face a opponent in a "sharp" situation armoured like a heavy from SCA armed with a sword I would start working out of a halfsword possition and not even bother with normal blossfechten stuff (mortschlag maybe).

And as Greg said, a Swordstrike doesn´t have to be so hard to do the job in a unarmoured situation. Placement and timing and speed is more essencial that just force in my oppinion.

Well, I drop it in this thread before it gets to OT!

BTW... OT Greg, I´m working with your Vadi book right now. quite challangeing to do the italian school. Been in ze German swamp for many years now but so fun to change views. Exellent book...

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe with a real fight with sharp blades the important thing is getting ones edges or point in contact with the opponents body parts and very much less how hard one hits: if I get around your blade in any way that my blade makes contact and at the same time protects me from your blade you are dead.

The art is one of geometry and position I believe and understanding how one gets one's blade where one wants it in spite of all the opponent is doing to protect himself and staying safe from the opponents blade at the same time unless suicidal or stupidly brave or clueless.

A lot of how hard one hits become an obsession when one focuses on " Winning " bouts and how to judge and perceive hits rather than understanding the interplay of technique and tactics. ( Light blows with an edge that would have killed are ignored in favour of heavy blows that can be seen, felt or heard and much easier to count for points and declare a winner ).

I would guess that one could lose all of one's bout under some types of rules dealing with how hard one has hit but if it was a real fight the opponent would have been " cuisinared " by finesse and light draw cuts.

In armoured fighting certainly the " bludgeoning aspects " can become more important than finesse where draw cuts would be useless and finesse would be shown in halfswording and wresting.

Nothing wrong with the more " sportlike " rules for the fun of it but it probably distorts what one would really want to learn to be able to do in a real period fight. Wink The sports rules would rapidly get you killed in period.

Well, just my opinion and I don't have personal experience with SCA or any of the more competitive versions of period martial arts.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin,

Martin Wallgren wrote:

BTW... OT Greg, I´m working with your Vadi book right now. quite challangeing to do the italian school. Been in ze German swamp for many years now but so fun to change views. Exellent book...

I'm glad you like the book. Nine years later, there are a few things that I'd change, and maybe someday will get the chance to do so! If you have any questions with the translation or material, shoot me an email. Also, I just put two blog posts up on the Chicago Swordplay Guild website about Vadi and his connection to Fiore, which you may find of interest.

As to the SCA/HEMA issue - stick and blade fighting are inter-related, but distinct skills. The later requires larger rotational movements to deliver concussive strikes (ie: full moulinets around the head, for one), and *hits*, the other more precision and draw to *cut*. We see the discussion of the differences between the two, and the need for swordsman to understand them, come up a great deal in the 19th c, relating single-stick to military broadsword/sabre fencing, and currently, in both the kendo community, where iai was introduced to try and improve cutting mechanics, and in the Filipino escrima community, as a complaint amongst students who only work with sticks and not bolo/machetes.

Really not an issue of better/worse, just the difference between a baton and a sword.

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Maybe with a real fight with sharp blades the important thing is getting ones edges or point in contact with the opponents body parts and very much less how hard one hits: if I get around your blade in any way that my blade makes contact and at the same time protects me from your blade you are dead.

Well swords aren't lightsabers either... Even cloth can defeat or mitigate the effect of cuts and slices.

Besides, not focusing at all on power generation and paying attention to just form and control has drawbacks too. If you don't learn to control a blade launched at full speed striking at full power, the day you have to you'll do it with the perfect form but get blown away anyway due to the sheer power of the contact. If you don't train to strike powerfully your training partners will not learn how to really deal with that kind of strikes. On the other hand, if you always seek the most powerful strike you can do without overexposing yourself, you become a better fighter than if you remained content with less power because you believe it would be enough (something very hard to prove).

Case in point, I have just started taking lessons of "la canne" this year, a sportified stick art with very light weapons and an emphasis on control. Most beginners here (those that did not practice another weapon art before at least) develop (in my opinion) very bad parrying habits: their parries are weak because they only ever deal with weak attacks. Is the form good? Yes, but that won't save your head if you don't put a little muscle behind Happy

I do get the point about economy of energy but this shouldn't be an absolute, but relative to your opponent. If you have a technical level such that the opponent has to consume more power than you in order to fight, eventually you're going to win either by tiring him out or overpowering him. That's where the art helps. The art gives you a good energy efficiency but without some energy to start from nothing comes out of it...

Well that was my off-topic drift of the day Happy

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Well swords aren't lightsabers either... Even cloth can defeat or mitigate the effect of cuts and slices.

Besides, not focusing at all on power generation and paying attention to just form and control has drawbacks too. If you don't learn to control a blade launched at full speed striking at full power, the day you have to you'll do it with the perfect form but get blown away anyway due to the sheer power of the contact. If you don't train to strike powerfully your training partners will not learn how to really deal with that kind of strikes. On the other hand, if you always seek the most powerful strike you can do without overexposing yourself, you become a better fighter than if you remained content with less power because you believe it would be enough (something very hard to prove).

Yes I agree, my comment was mostly in counter balance to the extremes of always trying to hit hard or just counting hard hits as effective in " simulated " combat with a sports or competitive emphasis.

Some power in the stoke is also important even if the protection involved is just heavy clothing: So only on naked skin would the very lightly touching draw cuts be effective.

Oh, by the way control doesn't always mean moving slowly or at 3/4 speed: The control in my group involved at times full speed bouting but still stopping short of hitting or pulling the blows if contact was made, and we used only fencing masks and steel blunts and light gloves. Certainly this pulling of blows may have taken away a little potential velocity subconsciously where what we believed was 100% speed was in fact 90% speed. ( Oh, our safety and injury rate was near perfect in zero serious injuries with only light bruising or " ouchies " occurring in the 4 years I participated in this group. Unfortunately now disbanded. Sad )

The initial point was that when training for the acquisition of real fighting techniques winning takes second or third place to understanding the actions, successful or not: I guess one could say that in order of priority (A) safety (B) Accurate technique and evaluation of the execution of the technique as martially true to real fighting including factoring in the fiction of sharp weapons being used (C) Determining who won an exchange very unimportant to learning the art but fun in a sports context. ( Depends on one's goals and personal priorities as competition can be motivating and exciting and fun but one should keep both separate in one's mind and practice if one engages in both kinds of training ).

So, again I agree with all you said and only restoring balance that my initial comments may have dealt only with the other extreme.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ARMA or HEMA, which is rougher?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: