Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dismounting an Armour Class Basket Hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher E.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Dismounting an Armour Class Basket Hilt         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience dismounting an Armour Class Basket Hilted Broadsword? I can tell it's hot peened but Is that it? I'm wanting Mr. Lundemo to make a new blade for mine and I can't get anyone from Armour Class to return my inquiries on this question.
Nathaniel Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What model basket hilt do you have?

I have an Armour class basket hilt and had it shipped to me in pieces so I could work on custom stuff the before final assembly. I may be mistaken but I thought most of these pommels were two pieces with the knob on the bottom fitting through the pommel onto the threads on the tang. I had Iain drill a hole in the bottom of mine so I could tighten and remove it with anything I could fit through the hole. I seem to remember reading somewhere on the interwebs that the "nut" piece is welded to bar stock and then torqued down. I would imagine they then just remove the stock and finish the cut area off. If thats the case, you may need a few more tools than what most people have laying around to loosen it.

I've used a couple things on pommels over the years. Strap wrenches work great as long as the nut part is big enough to get a tiny one on. Likewise an old leather belt and a pair of vise grips usually works too. You just have to be careful not to rip through the leather and into the nut with the teeth on the vise grips. I have a set of jewelers pliers with nylon guards on the grips they work pretty well too and keep the metal safe.

All that said I'd keep trying Armour class if you aren't comfortable trying to undo it yourself. Iain was great when I ordered from him. And that was even after I drove him nuts with all kinds of special requests. It did usually take a couple of days for a response but I thought that was more than OK for a response time.
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathaniel Jeffries wrote:
All that said I'd keep trying Armour class if you aren't comfortable trying to undo it yourself. Iain was great when I ordered from him. And that was even after I drove him nuts with all kinds of special requests. It did usually take a couple of days for a response but I thought that was more than OK for a response time.

I'd just like to echo that sentiment - Amidst more orders from them than I'd like to think about, they've been nothing but fantastic in their assistance and advice. I feel guilty for pestering them as often as I do, so I just hope all the purchases I've made, and reccommendations to other guys over time are worth it for them.

Patience of saints, to put up with the number of times I've ordered stuff, asking for a blade X length instead of Y, or with a fuller X long... or done with no fuller... or three fullers instead of one...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dismounting an Armour Class Basket Hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic