Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapons of the Great Northern War Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Weapons of the Great Northern War         Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I have recently renewed an interest in the Great Norhtern War period (When I was cleaning out old stuff from my parents home and found my old tin-soldier moulds used to create vast armies painted in horrible humbrol enamel colors fuming my young and innocent brain into what it is today Big Grin )

One first question on top of my head is I know that there was a switch from wheel-lock to flintlock pistols for the swedish cavalry at the time, but have not managed to find any pictures or model references to how those pistols would look?

Any help appreciated with either links, images or references to good literature. I am able to read both swedish, english and german btw.

Also if I wanted to see Swedish pistols, muskets and swords of that era would my best be armé-museum, livrustkammaren or some local museums around various factories or regiments?

I find a lot of general information online about general tactics and uniform colors and such, but for detailed info of hardware, I bet this is a good place to start!

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Stephen Wheatley

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: ARMEMUSEUM         Reply with quote

Bjorn,

Stockholms military museums have a fantastic array of arms from the stormakstid and the GNW - just google varjor for the links, several Karl xii swords and pistols. The flintlock horse pistols would have been very similar to late English doglocks and Marlborough cavalry pistols although I can't recall any specific Scandinavian makers from that time. See what Derbyshire Arms have from that era.

Hope this was some help

Steve

Stephen Wheatley
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: ARMEMUSEUM         Reply with quote

Stephen Wheatley wrote:
Bjorn,

Stockholms military museums have a fantastic array of arms from the stormakstid and the GNW - just google varjor for the links, several Karl xii swords and pistols. The flintlock horse pistols would have been very similar to late English doglocks and Marlborough cavalry pistols although I can't recall any specific Scandinavian makers from that time. See what Derbyshire Arms have from that era.

Hope this was some help

Steve

Thats very much worth looking into. No surprisingly, it is always easier to find information of continental stuff. Thank you so much, I'll be looking into the doglocks and Marlborough pistols for a start!

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Kristian Fagerström

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd send a mail to armémuesum. My experience is that if you ask nicely, you can see samples from the collecetions.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised that you have had a hard time finding pictures as the Armemuseum has no less than two online websites covering their collection.

http://www.sfhm.se/templates/pages/ArmeStanda...anguage=SV shows the items on display in the museum complete with a (very) short description. The link "äldre handeldvapen" has all firearms used by the army in the GNW while "Blankvapen" covers the swords used.

The you have the digital museum at http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/info/owners/S-AM where you can search the much larger online only collection which has numerous weapons from the period.

The Danish Töjhusmuseum has an excellent online exihbition for it's firearms which are sorted by period.
http://www.thm-online.dk/perioder/16/ is the GNW section

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weapons of the Great Northern War
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic