Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two custom Peter Johnsson swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Two custom Peter Johnsson swords         Reply with quote

This past weekend I had the pleasure to finally see, hold, and play with, a couple of Peter Johnsson originals !
One being a Type XVIII civilian sword, the other a Type XX with hollow-ground blade

Their owner / caretaker Harlan Hastings and I braved the gloomy skies, and pending storm, and did a quick photo-op & playtime just before Mother Nature once again proved who the boss is !

The first one I picked up was the custom Type XVIII Civilian sword that Harlan had purchased from Peter, via Albion Armorers, a few years back ......
It was incredibly light & fast ( 1 lb 15 oz.) almost effortless to move about, built with care & attention to detail !
Despite the fact that this style of sword is not my thing (basketcase don't cha know ;-) I found it to be alot of fun, and quite effective to wield .... I liked it !

Fish tail pommel

Next up was the Type XX ......
I think this one was my favorite of the two as I really liked the look of its hollow ground blade, fullered ricasso, and unusual pommel ( well, unusual to me anyways ;-) !
Although it appeared to be a bigger sword all around it actually weighed 2 oz less than the XVIII, at 1 lb. 13 oz.

Pommel detail ( notice its thinness!)

Continued next post ........ Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also got to handle Harlan's daughter Whitney's Albion Riding sword , which was a very cool little piece !
( perfect size for Whitney, too, weighing in at 2 1/2 lbs. )

Another few shots of Harlan's PJ's before they had to head for the Cape !

Many thanks to Harlan for giving me the chance to handle Peter's fine work ..... I was impressed !
( even if they were just giant knitting needles ;-)

Now a claymore .... now that's a sword laddies , *g* Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Tue 24 Aug, 2004 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Mac, here's some photos I took of the same two swords. Quality of the photos isn't that great, but the sword's quality sure was!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac, Harlan, thank you very much for sharing these pieces with us. i'm not quite sure how yet, but i'm going to have to join the ranks of the PJ caretakers. . .

Okay, now Harlan's got two, Patrick's got one, and there are less than 30 of these recreations total (if i remember Patrick's review right). So, how many more can we account for?

. . . i wonder if the magic of port works on Peter, too. . .
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat to see the single-hand "prototypes" of the Viceroy and Regent. Since I probably won't win the lottery and buy a PJ custom sword any time soon, Albion's NGs will have to do for me. I know I will certainly be keeping my eyes open for the Claymore and Ringhilt.

Brian M
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac,

I had the great pleasure of handling Harlan's civilian sword at our international ARMA workshop last summer. I was shocked at how light it was and it became obvious how handy it would be for a quick side arm for dueling and such. Peter's work is amazing and at least I have the pleasure of owning some of his great designs through Albion Armorers.

BTW, it's pretty weird seeing both you guys with short hair cuts Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure a PJ custom is a loooot of moolah... but the real question is... how exactly did you guys go about getting a custom sword from him? Did you just shoot him an email or PM and set up the commission?

Just curious, because he seems like a big-league guy that is busy with all the Albion stuff, and I would imagine that getting a custom commission is not easy Wink

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of handling these swords a few weeks ago and they are everything people have said about them. All aspects of each sword are perfectly executed. They were very hard to put down. I'd also like to point out how accurately Peter's styling and performance has translated to the Albion swords. Harlan's custom PJ pieces certainly felt like members of the same family. That is not to take away from the fact that Harlan's pieces are custom Peter Johnsson swords, but rather to state what a superb job Albion has done in putting Peter's knowledge, research and talent into their products. When you purchase an Albion NG sword you are definitely getting something from Peter Johnsson. Also, I believe Peter has stopped taking commissions for the time being.
Constant and true.

Last edited by Jay Barron on Tue 24 Aug, 2004 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That had to have been a good time.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Hi Mac,
BTW, it's pretty weird seeing both you guys with short hair cuts Big Grin

Yeah, it was weirder for me seeing Harlan with short hair than it was for me looking in the mirror, as I'd done the Army high & tight before *g* ( although Harlan did say he'd only worn his hair longer in recent years than times past !)

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
I'm sure a PJ custom is a loooot of moolah... but the real question is... how exactly did you guys go about getting a custom sword from him? Did you just shoot him an email or PM and set up the commission?

Just curious, because he seems like a big-league guy that is busy with all the Albion stuff, and I would imagine that getting a custom commission is not easy Wink

Hi Timothy

The first PJ that Harlan bought (Type XVIII) he picked up off Albions website when they'd offered it a few years back !
( I believe he paid $1,500.00 for it )

He purchased the Type XX piece directly from Peter, I believe, when both were visiting Albions shop, in Wisconsin, at last years "Gathering" ! ( least that's what I remember ? ) Harlan told me he paid $1,900.00 for it !

Eric McHugh ( of Albion) has a nice PJ original, too .... his is a Type XVI .

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Mac.

I was very impressed with the handling of these two swords (as well as Eric's type XVI). When combined with a buckler these two would have been deadly in the hands of the young bravos of pre-renaissance europe. While being a bit too dainty for my personal taste I was still impressed by Peter's craftsmanship. If I could have afforded it I would have bought the one with the fullered blade myself.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Tue 24 Aug, 2004 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:

Harlan purchased the type XX directly from Peter when we were all up at Albion last year, as I did with mine. As for myself, I contacted Peter via e-mail when I learned that he would be coming to Albion at the same time. My first mistake was asking Peter if he had anything available. Peter had made my sword for an exhibition at the Deutches Klingenmuseum in Solingen (I think). The sword hadn't been sold there and was still available. My second mistake was asking for photos Laughing Out Loud

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_pj_bj.html

After seeing a photograph of the sword, and it's scabbard, I knew that I had to have it. My next step was to test the waters with my wife Eek! You're right, it was a lot of money. The most that I've spent on a sword to date, and if my wife had voiced a strong objection to it I would have passed. Unfortunately for our bank account my wife was entirely too understanding Big Grin When Peter put the sword into my hands I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was mine. Eric McHugh asked me several times "Are you going to buy it?" I think he was hoping that I'd pass. No such luck!

These days Peter is pretty busy with design work for Albion, but he still spends time in the smithy doing his own work. The best thing is to contact him via e-mail. Ask him if he has anything available or in the works. That's what I did and I just happened to luck out. If you want a PJ it will cost you, but in the end you'll possess an heirloom quality piece made by one of the best. In terms of recreations from the medieval era Peter is, IMHO, the best there is. I'd definitely rate him in the top five sword makers around, regardless of style.

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
That had to have been a good time.

Hi Joe

It was ..... *g*

Harlan always has something cool to share with me, and his PJ's were a real joy to behold !

Lucky me ;-) Mac

- One last goofy Mac shot for ya !

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,

swinging around something other than a basket -h ...............I'm shocked!!

Looks to be a couple of very finely crafted pieces..know Harlan and yourself had fun with those.
Thanks for sharing....even though....I'm still shocked!!!!

William
aka Bill
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Mac,

swinging around something other than a basket -h ...............I'm shocked!!

Looks to be a couple of very finely crafted pieces..know Harlan and yourself had fun with those.
Thanks for sharing....even though....I'm still shocked!!!!

William
aka Bill

We're slowly bringing Mac out of the skirt wearin' crowd Laughing Out Loud

Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the price for those swords are very reasonable. It's approximately the same as a Brescia Spadona from Albion or a custom from A&A..
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
We're slowly bringing Mac out of the skirt wearin' crowd Laughing Out Loud

Never .... not on my "ANDRIA FERARA", I say !!

Alba Gu Brath, Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Warning: kind of long post         Reply with quote

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their insight into Peter's work. I know the cost of admission is pretty high for this club, but from the things I've seen I know it is well worth it; as Patrick says, an heirloom-quality piece made by one of the best.

Also, thanks for the tip on testing the waters to see if there's anything available - wouldn't have even thought of it.

Eric, as the type XVI is my preference, might I trouble you to share your sword with us on the forum? Thanks in advance for your time in either case.

This is just a thought/observation passing through my head. A few weeks ago I made a pretty bold statement saying that although I admire many of the pieces done by Vince Evans, few (only one, actually) I've seen would be something I would deeply wish to own. Reading this thread and seeing even more of Peter's work, I think the difference in style that attracts me more to his work has been made clearer. In Vince's pieces I see a grand scope with striking intricate details that bring his pieces from the realm of "great" to the work of a master. Although his study and interpretation of originals as inspiration is very evident, I still see a feel of artistry and freedom that take what would otherwise be simply an excellent historical recreation and make a piece Vince's own - in short, beauty through inspired artistry.

In Peter's work I see more simplicity, practicality, utility - what I can best describe as a very subdued atmosphere around each piece. As I have said, however, the devil is in the details and it is in those details where Peter's work shines. There is a certain mastery of what would look to outward appearances as a plain focus on the basic form that gives the pieces their quiet beauty. In reality, this mastery from what I have read is an absolute, passionate, and relentless pursuit of the technical ideal. Perhaps put better, I could see Vince studying his research and notes - examining every visual aspect of a sword's form - and looking into and handling a piece while working it until it "feels" right. I can see Peter spending countless hours in front of his research and notes with a blackboard/computer close at hand, calculating every detail down to the micron on a caliper, and then - only when satisfied with the piece "on paper" - working focusedly and methodically to recreate this statistical construct, leaving the very last touches alone to his masterful eye to give the piece his personal touch. Where Vince's piece is right in his heart, Peter's would be right in his head. In short, beauty through science with an uncanny breath of inspiration.

The meticulous, coldly calculating, analytical, perfectionist in me and my taste in uncluttered, subtle art - beauty through simplicity of design and flawless excecution of the art form - are what draw me to Peter's work. I raise a glass to both men - Vince as an artist, Peter as a scientist, and both in their own special ways keeping a unique and fading beauty alive in this world.

Again, just my obeservations and opinions. I may be wrong; I am probably wrong. I appreciate everyone's feedback and insight, and thank you all for the few minutes of your time it took to look into my thoughts. If I am fortunate enough, I will have the opportunity to meet both of these men, shake their hands, and hear from them their own thoughts on their creative processes.

Have a great day.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, Jonathon I would say that you're wrong, but only in the finest sense, and it may just be a difference of verbiage.

I've spent time with Peter, and spoken to Vince numerous times. I also own swords made by both men. I've found both men to be artists and craftsmen, with neither one exhibiting much of the cold analytical scientist. Both men use the study of originals as the basis for their work, and their philosophies are very much the same. Peter has a great passion for his work that goes far beyond a fixation with measurements and statistics. Any engineer or machinist can replicate a tool by copying statistics, but it takes a true artist to bring them off the paper and make them live in your hand.

It is true that Vince takes a free hand here and there in changing details of a piece when he feels the desire to do so. On the other hand, Peter isn't above artistic interpretation either. As an example my sword isn't an exact recreation of an existing original. Instead it is the blending of different features that Peter has observed in swords of that type. In that artistic sense Peter and Vince are, again, much the same. I don't think I'd use the term "simplicity" to describe Peter's work. Subdued at times perhaps, and with the same sense of utility of any finely crafted instrument, but far from simple. No one who has handled Peter's recreation of the sword of Svante Nilsson Sture would call it simple. My own sword, while being far from ornate, is hardly simple or utilitarian. Only a true artist and master craftsman with a deep understanding of shapes, volumes, and mechanics can bring a sword of that size to life as a lively weapon instead of a boat anchor. The subtle blending of the swords line and form are not the product of a computer or a set of calipers, but instead come from the heart of an artist who possesses a deep love for his craft. These finer aspects are things that simply can't be fully appreciated by the examination of photographs alone.

One thing that can be said for certain is that both men are at the pinnacle of their craft, and have few equals.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two custom Peter Johnsson swords
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: