Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Manning Imperial Xiphos Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Manning Imperial Xiphos         Reply with quote

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had experience with this sword. The pictures on their site leave a bit to be desired. I know they have a fantastic reputation, but was curious about nuances like balance, blade geometry, general attention to detail and accuracy. Any insights anyone might have on this weapon would be most appreciated.

Efharisto, as they say in Greece. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Amt would be the guy to ask about this, I think.

... as for me, I'll find out personally myself sometime next year....

Wink

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't believe Matt owns one of these... In any case, these swords look great, and at the lengths posted there really shouldn't be any balance issues that could arise from the use of these weapons. Manning Imperial is known to make high-quality ground blades, and usually incorporates appropriate blade tapers, spines and fullers on most of their products according to the reviews I've seen. I have only purchased cast items from them, which I can attest to as being of very high quality, but cannot personally comment on this blade beyond its historic proportions and construction method as shown on their site. The hilt construction on these swords is exactly like originals found in various sites throughout the Greek world, which are scarce, but do exist... The scabbards also look to be very well made, and the fittings are copied directly from originals found in Campovalano, Italy that date to the 5th century BC. In fact, their entire design is based on this sword/scabbard combo from Italy.

Manning Imperial currently has about a two year wait-list, and begins taking orders with 20-50% down, depending on the nature of the order. I'm very confident in their quality, and if you take the time to visit the Roman Army Talk (RAT) forum, you'll see that most of the hardcore hoplite reenactors rely on or are envious of Manning Imperial's work.

-Gregory

Attachment: 8.24 KB
Xiphos (Campovalano, Italy).jpg

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, pretty much what Gregory said! I just haven't seen one of Manning's babies in person, though I would love to! The only doubts I have is that it is very hard to tell from the few published photos and drawings what the actual blade geometry is supposed to be. I *think* what he's done with his xiphos variations is correct. I just worry that more information will turn up and we'll find out we were wrong about something... Most likely that would be something like blade thickness and distal taper, rather than general cross-section, but as Gregory points out that's not really as crucial in a shorter blade.

Of course, Gregory has never held the "frying pan" that *I* use for a xiphos! Gotta give that thing another round on the grinder...

Bottom line, Insufficient Data! But for what we know, Manning is the best so far.

Khairete,

Matthew
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
But for what we know, Manning is the best so far.

Khairete,

Matthew

To quote Yoda, "there is another...."

http://www.ironagearmoury.com/xiphos.html

Although it's a one-off, it is, as a Greek Hoplite would say, "real slick" (except he'd say it in ancient Greek). It's mainly based on the Vergina sword. Maybe Shane can be convinced to make another....?

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane's sword is beautiful, but it's also definitely a 4th century sword compared to the 5th century design of the Campovalano specimen. The hilt design in particular is a bit of Hellenistic flare, if I dare call it that. So it would also come down to its intended use by the customer... Also note that Shane's sword was what, $1,020 in the end? The beautiful scabbard from Manning Imperial only adds about $150 to the total price of that route. Many things to consider!

-Gregory
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks to you all for the information you've offered. I'll be sure to post some pictures in two years or so when it arrives.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Of course, Gregory has never held the "frying pan" that *I* use for a xiphos! Gotta give that thing another round on the grinder...

Well, I doubt it could be much worse than your typical Deepeeka! I owned a few of their Gladii and the old Greek xiphos they had with the solid brass handle! I doubt yours was more whacky in the hands than that! Ha, ha.

Sam Barris wrote:
Many thanks to you all for the information you've offered. I'll be sure to post some pictures in two years or so when it arrives.

Congratulations. I look forward to seeing the acquisition in the future!

-Gregory

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Manning Imperial Xiphos
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic