myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Travelling in armour! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basically the rotella is a round steel shield and can have different names like " rondache " in French and I think rotella is the Italian name for it.

Other names like targe or target for basically the same thing: Medium sized steel shield in some cases very heavy and meant to be musket of at least pistol proof.

Late 15th, 16th and early 17th century mostly.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. Bring a horse. Or a ship, if you are scandinavian.

2: if not, bring a heater shield on a shoulder strap, light kettlehat, thin shafted spear and sword.

3: take lodging at farms whenever possible. food is heavy, and you can't carry much without horses anyhow.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes horse or pack horse/mule change how much stuff you can carry around as spare equipment: What you can comfortably carry over long distances on foot limits all the fun choices of extra armour and weapons.

What you can fight with and what you can have on your belt at the same time that won't slow you down or get in your way is also a factor I think ! I certainly want to have a good selection of weapons available, close by, but how much on one's body during a fight can be counter productive if you are tripping over a sword scabbard during a fight.

With a long weapon like a spear, halberd or Poleaxe back up weapons that aren't too long would seem to be a good idea compared to a sword on one's belt with a 40" blade ...... in that case the scabbard suspension better be well designed to not make the sword a hindrance while using a primary weapon like a spear.

A shorter sword or long dagger should not be a problem and even extra weapons aren't a problem if they are compact enough.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sun 10 Oct, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if this really covers into the 1650s, I'm getting myself a buff coat. Nice thick leather, warm in the cold, able to be rolled into a backpack when not needed &/or too warm weather, protective of most cuts and does a decent job on thrusts.
Also, I'd go for that rotella. light versions, ease of carry, protective, maneuverable. Throw in a nice hanger/messer. Heavy cutter, compact, quick, also can be used for brushcutting/ general purpose.
I'd throw in a mace/warhammer for those that you'd encounter who would be wearing armour.
For helm I'd go w/ a light burgonet.
Bucket top boots. Folds up almost to mid-thigh (a layer of leather no matter how light can't be a bad thing when needed), good for riding commandeered horses. Fold down when unnecessary.
I'd also pack a flintlock caliver/carbine and a few pistols. Dispatch foes at a range and easier to carry than a bow.
My thoughts.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"

Last edited by Nathan Quarantillo on Sun 10 Oct, 2010 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't forget, you've got to lug all your other gear and food/water too. I was in Boy Scouts when I was younger, and we did a few trips where we had to haul our own stuff needed to survive for one week. At the time I was a short little thing and skinnier than I am now (anyone who has seen my Youtube videos knows I'm rather skinny now too), and this meant carrying a significant fraction of my body weight.

This was not easy, and what the OP is suggesting is throw armour on as well. It would be a tad easier now, with my increased size, and skipping things like tents and roughing it, but still...

Mikko Kuusirati said:
Quote:
Frodo is the only one of the nine who went armoured except when specifically geared up for an upcoming battle, and his armour was made of unobtanium so it doesn't count, either

If I remember correctly, in the LOTR movies the Uruk Hai were implied to be so big and bad partly due to their ability to throw on lots of plate armour (for all the good it did them versus our heroes' blades) and run/jog relentlessly. Upon seeing that my father said something along the lines of: "That's impressive if those guys can keep that up." Regardless, those are Uruk Hai, we are human. We cannot do that, not for very long, and we'd regret it if we did.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm in the no-armour camp. If weight limits allowed and I expected to see heavy fighting, I might try to shove a jack, helmet, or maile in my pack, but I probably wouldn't wear it while sweating my way across rough terrain. (I'm envisioning trying to chase the Uruk Hai early in the second movie, listening to Gimli complain about Dwarves being good for short distance. He always wore armour of sorts, but again, not human.)

Edit:
Check out this older topic, arming for a quest: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ming+quest

Jean has had plenty of time to think about this sort of thing. Wink Interesting to compare and contrast previous thoughts with present ones too.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm in the no-armour camp. If weight limits allowed and I expected to see heavy fighting, I might try to shove a jack, helmet, or maile in my pack, but I probably wouldn't wear it while sweating my way across rough terrain. (I'm envisioning trying to chase the Uruk Hai early in the second movie, listening to Gimli complain about Dwarves being good for short distance. He always wore armour of sorts, but again, not human.)

Actually armour feels a lot heavier when lugging it around rather than when worn on the body where the weight is well distributed.

My stainless welded maille shirt is made of very fine maille ( unobtainium in period. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ) but fine rivetted maille was made with very small rings using fairly thin wire : The point being that the whole shirt weighs in at less than 8 pounds and I can barely feel the weight when I have it on. Add a couple of pounds for the cervelière.

Under the armour if one only wears a very light and thin gambison heat shouldn't be too much a factor except in the desert or a humid jungle.

But with the rotella one can skip the maille but a steel cap, kettle hat or sallet is also very useful.

Stefan Rasmussen

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The reason for this discussion is also (in part of the fun) because of a project I have next year, where i have to gather a fighting group for a fantasy Larp. But we would go to great lengths to keep equipment and fighting styles rather realistic.
Most of us are well trained in longsword and messer techniques, and also spear and and staff. We need to be able to move fast, but still be well protected. The scenarium is a whole week long, so choosing a full harness certainly won't make us very mobile. And the area is covered with lots of scrub, have lot's of hills, bumbs, and irratating potholes Happy

Pain can be controlled

Stefan Rasmussen, DK
Wayne Norman

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it was me, I'd be travelling in a mail Haubergeon, kettle helmet to keep off the rain and sun, decent boots that go over the ankle, a pilgrims bag over my shoulder for all my food and travelling kit, rolled up cloak tied to my belt at the back (serves as a blanket too)

as for weapons, would have to be a 160-180Ib English Longbow, couple of sheaves of arrows, and a sword and buckler for a last resort weapon.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wayne Norman wrote:
If it was me, I'd be travelling in a mail Haubergeon, kettle helmet to keep off the rain and sun, decent boots that go over the ankle, a pilgrims bag over my shoulder for all my food and travelling kit, rolled up cloak tied to my belt at the back (serves as a blanket too)

as for weapons, would have to be a 160-180Ib English Longbow, couple of sheaves of arrows, and a sword and buckler for a last resort weapon.

Sounds good to me but you might also carry a large and a small dagger and I don't think it would load you down more to any significant degree.

And as I mentioned the sling is useful because one can always use found stones, not waste arrows on small stuff like killing a rabbit for lunch and if one runs out of arrows one still has a missile weapon.

The Kettle hat makes sense in many ways like you stated and the haubergeon need not be overly heavy.

The travelling kit could depend on if you have to live off the land or can afford to stop at an In, farmhouse, monastery or town castle as a guest ? Social position can influence the quality of your welcome, but if even moderately well off you might have at least one servant to help carry some extra stuff and at least lightly armed servant/travelling companion to protect your back. Wink ( Spear, axe, dagger(s) ).

Oh, I always like the spear since it has reach and the spear is really much more a battlefield primary weapon than a sword: If I had to go absolute minimum kit it would be spear and dagger. ( Big one like a cinquedea or coustille or messer ).

Travelling alone does seem a bit dangerous no matter how well armed or skilled in weapons and depending on time and place there might be " options " like travelling in groups from town to town. I wonder if it was the practice for travellers to join each other and form temporary groups of fellow travellers for mutual protection ? ( The wagon train option or group of pilgrims, merchants, unrelated travellers, security force supplied by local nobles for a fee ? ).

A lot of the kit and travelling conditions, arms and armour are all dependant on cultural norms and the objective dangers of travelling as well as what is considered normal weapon's carry in period.

Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, I always like the spear since it has reach and the spear is really much more a battlefield primary weapon than a sword: If I had to go absolute minimum kit it would be spear and dagger. ( Big one like a cinquedea or coustille or messer ).

I must admit, the first thing that pops into my head whenever a subject of this sort comes up is my Windlass Coustille. I love that wicked little bugger. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what a coincidense to have a topic like this when i'm in fact going to do a thing like this at the end of this month. me and other 15th century reanactors will be dropped into a military domain(quite a big one, with even some wild animals such as boars etc in it) with only upon us what we can carry. we will be facing other groups of fighters, cold(maybe even some snow with some bad luck) and most likely rain. on the topside of this we will be on the move all day only to make camp in the evening.
so far the only "modern" thing allowed is toilet paper.
facing such conditions we actually prefered to be packed "heavy"(eg padded jack some arm protection if possible and maybe even a breastplate) instead of light. just like you want to be packed when facing hostile ground. think of it, either you will have to fight or, more preferable, flee. due to our "objective" so to speak fleeing isn't an option so you'll want the best armour you can get. for a professional pikemen this would still be just some arm protection, a breastplate, helmet and bevor and offcourse pike, sword and dagger
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hendrik, sounds interesting I hope you keep a daily log of events and thoughts and report back to us what happened and what ended up being good kit decisions and what you regret lugging around.

Well are the weapons all going to be blunts ? I assume yes if you are going to do some simulated fighting although I think you will need knives that cut and real axes if you are having to live of the land. ( In any fighting keeping the real stuff separate from the blunts would seem like a good idea: A bit like not mixing real bullets with blanks when shooting a movie ! ).

Real boar spears with sharp edges might be comforting if you have to deal with real wild boar: They won't be playing if they get too close.

How real is the experience going to be ? Will you be able to actually hunt the boars or kill rabbits or deer to eat or would that be a legal problem assuming legal hunting seasons or other laws you have to take into account ?

I guess it all depends on the rules of the game and objectives what you can do and what has to be cheated like having someone bring food to you or carry all your food and the duration of the event/competition.

Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'll try to think of it, but i'm pretty sure i'll remember the bad choices(although i hope i've made none)
fighting weapons indeed will be blunt. utility tools(such as knives, axes) will offcourse be sharp. we've all reached an age we should be responsible enough to know not to weild sharp weapons and if someone does i'm affraid he'll face serious charges(assault/attempted murder). the main idea is to represent the common soldiers' life when on campaign during fall.
i believe boar killing is out of the option(and who would try that with only a bow or spear?), not sure about the rabbits however i believe the chances of us catching a rabbit are rather slim.
as far as "cheating"; i believe it was likely back then and even now for soldiers to help eachother, especially on campaign. that's one of the reasons why we're splitting up different items. for example a friend of mine will bring a cooking pot while i'll be carring a small awning to protect us at night from heavy rainfall/snow/cold. since there's only 1 water source in the area i do believe there will be various encounters around that place
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hendrik De Coster wrote:
i believe boar killing is out of the option(and who would try that with only a bow or spear?)

A 15th Century woodsman, that's who. Happy

Some people actually do hunt boars with spears, among other things, for the exact same reasons people hunt with bows, handguns and crossbows - sportsmanship, the challenge, the adrenaline rush, all that kind of thing.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Hendrik De Coster wrote:
i believe boar killing is out of the option(and who would try that with only a bow or spear?)

A 15th Century woodsman, that's who. Happy

Some people actually do hunt boars with spears, among other things, for the exact same reasons people hunt with bows, handguns and crossbows - sportsmanship, the challenge, the adrenaline rush, all that kind of thing.

offcourse, but their bows don't have a 40pounds limit for reanactment safety=p
our main objective is to have a general feeling. it's the first time this event gets organised so who knows what the future brings
David Clark

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would merely have a langseax, a spear that would double as a walking stick, and a woolen cloak if it was cold. If I felt I had a high probability of being attacked, then I would have all the above, with a spangen helm with cheek plates, a maille byrnie, and a small-medium shield with a guige for ease of carrying. I have walked for hours at renfairs and through the woods surrounding my property with this loadout, so I know that I could manage quite a distance with such gear. I feel it isn't too over the top if one were going on a quest or what have you. Big Grin

Last edited by David Clark on Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hendrik De Coster wrote:
...our main objective is to have a general feeling. it's the first time this event gets organised so who knows what the future brings

Your trek sounds very interesting! Please let us know how it turned out.

If you really get an itch to do it again, check out St. Hubert's Rangers . I recently came across their web page, talk about using historic arms for their intended purpose. Cool You wouldn't catch me standing in front of a charging wild boar with only a boar-spear! Eek!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your range of dates is probably too wide to get any kind of consistent answer....... post 1550 one would have a firearm and probably would not be using much in the way of armour other than maybe extra clothing and maybe a jack or buff for the torso. maybe some gauntlets or splints on the forearm... think Tyrells raiders in the 9 years War in Ireland or the border fighting between Scotland and England in Elizabethan times.

also seems like you are assuming that you have to be self sufficient while you travel with your armour and gear. thats a bit of a contradiction imho. Within period one would have a retinue tagging along to carry stuff. If you had the means to own a bunch of armour you had the means to be on horse and/or have hired help carry stuff for you, cook for you etc. Even archers had helpers.

I know this is one of those fun "what ifs" but we do have to be careful about mapping our modern sensibilities to our living history portrayals. tr
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Another option is cervelière, steel rotella and a mace or warhammer the sword being a backup better used against those who are lightly armoured or not armoured at all: The mace can take care of armour and the steel rotella makes the swordsman's job very difficult as he would have to stop you dead very quickly as you could close in to very close range with the protection of the rotella and be able to do some real damage with the mace no matter how well armoured..

That sounds good in theory, but is there any evidence of such a combination used historically? I don't know of any sources describing or depicting short maces wielded on foot during the age of plate, much less with a shield. Because of this, I have my doubts singled-handed maces produced great effects against helms without the added power of the horse. In the sixteenth-century military manuals I've read, only mounted warriors get maces and nobody devotes significant attention to the weapon. If they were a silver bullet against armor, what explains the marginal employment?
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Another option is cervelière, steel rotella and a mace or warhammer the sword being a backup better used against those who are lightly armoured or not armoured at all: The mace can take care of armour and the steel rotella makes the swordsman's job very difficult as he would have to stop you dead very quickly as you could close in to very close range with the protection of the rotella and be able to do some real damage with the mace no matter how well armoured..

That sounds good in theory, but is there any evidence of such a combination used historically? I don't know of any sources describing or depicting short maces wielded on foot during the age of plate, much less with a shield. Because of this, I have my doubts singled-handed maces produced great effects against helms without the added power of the horse. In the sixteenth-century military manuals I've read, only mounted warriors get maces and nobody devotes significant attention to the weapon. If they were a silver bullet against armor, what explains the marginal employment?

i believe that might have to do with the concurrention it got from the warhammer, which actually fights better imo. not only do you get about the same blunt attack but you can also hook with it.not to mention it's pointy spike;)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Travelling in armour!
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: