Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 17th century clothing reproductions. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: 17th century clothing reproductions.         Reply with quote

Hello, I was wondering if there was any good, relatively cheap makers of 17th century clothing.
Preferably early, 30 years war to English civil war. Nothing fancy (if this all turns out ok I'd be going for a common soldiers look anyway). I hear that apparently there are a bunch of makers of this era (thanks to all the ECW re-enactors across the pond) but googles not being helpful. Some direction and advice would be greatly appreciated.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Dan Rosen

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello! I can't give you a great answer at the moment- I'm in the middle of homework at the moment, but I can get you started. The truth is, if you want your outfit to look believable, accurate, comfortable, and sturdy, you have to spend a bit of money. Not too much compared to other periods, but a little bit.

The Bethlehem Trading Post out of the NH has linen shirts of a correct pattern for $35 and knit wool Monmouth Caps (quite popular in 16th-18th century England) for $25. Both of these prices are phenomenal compared to other vendors, and their quality and service is incredible. I just received a Monmouth Cap from them last week and I'm still excited about it.

They also offer what they call "17th Century Breeches" in wool for $80.00. I haven't seen them in person and so can't attest to their accuracy, but they look OK from the picture. Bethlehem also sells snapsacks for carrying gear.

http://www.bethlehemtradingpost.com/on-line-store.php

For stockings, the sort of knit stockings available for sale are not authentic to the period or those earlier (they're knit the wrong way and don't have a seam up the back and/or gores). Several vendors, however, sell cut wool stockings in the form of Chausses for Medieval types. Fortunately, it's almost the same pattern. http://historicenterprises.com/chausses-wool-...th=99_117.

For shoes, these would be very fashionable for the early part of the 17th http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/16th-cen...5&w=21 . I own two pairs of shoes by the same vendor and I'm very happy with them- accurate in pattern and in materials (with a little bit of machine sewing). It's a great price for reproduction shoes in any case. Otherwise, you can try this... http://www.luckhardt.com/ecwsa53.html

Syke's Sutlery sells 17th century soldiers coats in wool for $120.00 http://sykesutler.com/clothes.htm. You'd probably want a doublet, however. I don't know of too many vendors that carry a reasonable 17th century doublet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I'll see what else I can dig up, and all that said, if you have someone that can sew for you, it might just be worth your while to make a lot of the stuff yourself. For example, you might pay $50.00 + for a pair of cut wool stockings at a vendor, but for one yard of so of $12.00 twill or worsted wool from http://www.burnleyandtrowbridge.com/ and a pattern for stockings for $15.00 from Reconstructing History (the shop with the link to shoes that I posted above), you can make a pair and keep on making them.

Don't hesitate to ask for links or help making this stuff. The late 16th through the early 17th century is my favorite period.
Good luck & keep asking questions!

-Dan

-Dan Rosen

"One day there will be no more frontier, and men like you will go too."
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 17th century clothing reproductions.         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
Hello, I was wondering if there was any good, relatively cheap makers of 17th century clothing. Preferably early, 30 years war to English civil war. Nothing fancy (if this all turns out ok I'd be going for a common soldiers look anyway). I hear that apparently there are a bunch of makers of this era (thanks to all the ECW re-enactors across the pond) but googles not being helpful. Some direction and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Nathan,

A little OT here, but I stumbled across a 17th century siege armour with padding intact for sale. It may, or may not, be of interest for your research. I found the store while checking out photographs from Glen A Cleeton's Hartford Antique Arms Show, Oct. 9-10 2010 thread.

Antique Weapon Store.com

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. and Dan, that website is awesome. Thanks. And what I meant by not expensive is less than the $800 that one needs to buy a decent 15th cent soft kit.
"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 17th century clothing reproductions.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic