Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cut armor in Maciejowski Bible and other period art Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Smith wrote:
It is extremely unlikely if even possible that the people who weild the weapons in modern day tests do so with the strength, ferocity and experience of ancient professional warriors?

Though some of us can shoot longbows of the same power as those found on the Mary Rose. And on everage we are bigger and heavier people than they were. Don't fall into the comic book view of medieval warriors as supermen: we know how big and strong they were.

We do of course however have surviving pieces of 14th-16thC armour that have been penetrated by weapons - most of these involve holes caused by warhammers, pollaxes, halberds or crossbow bolts.

Regards,
Matt

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Johann M

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Johann M wrote:

I don't disagree with your position at all...I just can't stand broad sweeping statements that are hard to prove yet are held up as indisputable fact.

I'm pretty sure I never called anything I said indisputable fact. Happy Perhaps I wasn't clear enough about it being my opinion.

Perhaps you weren't.
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Modern warriors may have the same strength and ferocity as period warriors, but they don't have the same level or type of experience.

However, in the time of my great-great-grandfather a man called Sir Richard Francis Burton travelled to parts of the world where men still lived and died by the sword, he fought them and he reported their abilities. Many of his contemporaries did the same, all across Asia and Africa. The Indian Mutiny leaves us with many such accounts - see Swordsmen of the Raj.

So in the recent past we have the accounts of men like Burton who encountered, fought with and in many cases bested lifetime swordsmen like the ones that you refer to.

People too often forget that whilst the medieval period might seem a long time ago in Europe and America, many people in the world today (and even more people 100 years ago) are effectively living in the middle ages. I do not believe that a medieval swordsman possessed magical superpowers unknown to an Indian swordsman in 1840 or 1857.

Finally, on the subject of 'lifetime practice' - most noblemen started their martial training at age 14. By age 18 they were expected to serve in campaigns (sometimes even younger). That is 4 years training, not a lifetime. Wink

Regards,
Matt

Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not sure why people are so hung up on the relative skills and ferocity of medeaval men-at-arms vs us puny moderns. If the discusion is "can it be done" then we need to look at "under optimal conditions". This would be based off the maximum exertable force.
Now I am certain that a run of the mill man at arms was far more skillful with a sword or waraxe than 99% of re-enactors, and my well have been more "ferocious", he may well have been able to exert maximum force in a wider number of blows from a greater number of angles. However, I don't see that there could be that much diference in the max force exerted by mussels. The laws of biology and physics have not changed that much in the last 800 years( just our understanding of them). A competitive woodchoper is going to be just about as strong now as his medeaval counterpart would have been in 1347.
So
get competition woodchoper to swing axe as hard as he can, mesure force, this gives you the value x
investigate the force required to cut steel of shape A anf thickness B, call this value y
if x is greater than y then helms can be cut under ideal conditions
if y is greater than x then hels cant be cut.

now, you might then still be able to argue that these "ideal conditions" would never happen on a battle field, or that ore forefathers were so skillful that every swing for them was ideal, but if the numbers come out clearly in one way it eliminates certain scenarios
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Smith wrote:
Modern swordsmen probably spend much more time in front of a computur discussing the subject than actually training. For the ancients it was a way of life, when not training they were confronted with live armoured targets that fought back.

Are you under the impression that 14th-16thC men at arms spent most of their time in military training?!
If we're talking about nobles then they had households and estates to run. They had day jobs..
If we're talking about commoners then many of these had day jobs as well - campaigns had limited seasons and only garrisons would serve for prolonged periods. And martial training was only legal in English cities if it was archery. Wrestling and fencing were illegal in English cities.

I'm trying to imagine this bizarre medieval world you are describing where men would just swing swords all day... but it didn't exist.

Quote:
I dont believe they were hurculean but do believe that pound for pound they were much stronger and tougher than we can imagine.

So you think that a medieval Englishman was far tougher than a modern Somalian or Afghan farmer/tribesman? Why do you think that?

Matt

Johann M

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
I am not sure why people are so hung up on the relative skills and ferocity of medeaval men-at-arms vs us puny moderns. If the discusion is "can it be done" then we need to look at "under optimal conditions". This would be based off the maximum exertable force.
Now I am certain that a run of the mill man at arms was far more skillful with a sword or waraxe than 99% of re-enactors, and my well have been more "ferocious", he may well have been able to exert maximum force in a wider number of blows from a greater number of angles. However, I don't see that there could be that much diference in the max force exerted by mussels. The laws of biology and physics have not changed that much in the last 800 years( just our understanding of them). A competitive woodchoper is going to be just about as strong now as his medeaval counterpart would have been in 1347.
So
get competition woodchoper to swing axe as hard as he can, mesure force, this gives you the value x
investigate the force required to cut steel of shape A anf thickness B, call this value y
if x is greater than y then helms can be cut under ideal conditions
if y is greater than x then hels cant be cut.

now, you might then still be able to argue that these "ideal conditions" would never happen on a battle field, or that ore forefathers were so skillful that every swing for them was ideal, but if the numbers come out clearly in one way it eliminates certain scenarios

Very well said sir...a reasonable argument indeed.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, I just always assumed that the 'fleeing horsemen' was just an artistic convention to show that they were the 'losers'. Of course, the same thing could be said about the helm cleaving... Confused
jamesarlen.com
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Fuller wrote:
This is one of those arguments (sorry, "discussions") that ends up going around in circles indefinitely. At the end of the day, the best we can do simply agree to disagree. Jeff, you and I know all about this!

Indeed I do. I still have the bruises to prove it. But raise your guard...

James Gillespie makes an excellent point; charging on horseback would increase the force of the blow considerably, but enough to cut through all that iron, is still anybody's guess. I had another look through the Mac. Bible, and it turns out that the majority of the confrontations that involved helm splitting was when one side was in retreat - which would negate Jame's argument about force increased by speed of horse, at least in the case of those specific images. However Jeff, I still wonder if it would be enough to split helm and skull. I'll have to give you points for the Bruce/DeBohoun (sp?) story, although I would lean more on the side of Kel, since there are a lot of apocryphal stories about medieval knights performing amazing feats of arms, and a story meant to make a king look good in the eyes of his subjects sixty years after the fact is a little suspect. Do I deny that the Bruce did it? No. But it is possible that the story may have been embellished a bit.

I do agree that each side will tend to embellish it's heroes. History is written by the winners they say. That remains an area that no one will be able to settle. HOWEVER, if this whole English-knight-helm-cleaving business was made up, are there any contemporary denials from the English that this ever happened? Or that Henry Bohun was simply carried off the field with a bump on his noggin? I'm unaware of any such denials, and if there are any I would like to see them. Since the English have (in my opinion) always had a rather too fine opinion of themselves, while treating their colonies and their inhabitants as somewhat inferior, even into recent times, I don't see why they wouldn't act the same way over this incident if they thought they could get away with it. Especially regarding the utter contempt they had for the Scots (AND the Welsh, AND the Irish), like when Edward I took the Scottish coronation stone and put it under the throne he sat on, remarking "A man does good service when he rids himself of a turd." If there was little or no dispute from the English over what happened to Sir Henry Bohun's head, to me the best explanation (barring physical evidence) is that the event was so widely witnessed by both sides that to deny it would only make them look foolish as well as bad losers. But to allow it to stand without dispute would at least show how brave their knights were, if overconfident. And even for the losers, it's a darn good tale, made even better if it's true. Who can say? Maybe there were more contemporary accounts of this that are now lost to us. Only a tiny fraction of everything that was ever written down survives the hazards of time. Even If it was retold orally for years before being written down, well, we all know how a story can become distorted by the retelling. But by enough to make it completely false? Unknown.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh, Boy do I love the old "It's a manuscript, so duh it's right/The medieval armour is the same as the mario invulnerability star" argument. Enough where I MUST post a reply..... Wink
I swear MyArmourying is an addiction
@ Adam Smith
Your posts, while containing good points, I must say derive from a number of misconceptions. The Medieval people (Englishmen included) were not solely warriors. There were, and there always will be those not-so-inclined to fight. Nobles included (scutage much). Almost noone in the 13th century outside mercenaries were committed warriors. As has been pointed out, they had jobs. And while certainly not under trained, they didn't devote their whole life to war.
On the other side of this issue, I would say knights were probably a little bit better at the art of fighting than most of us.
I would wager money that John Clements would probably whip all sorts of hell upon the average swordsman of the era. BUT, they did have a real tradition, real widespread teachers, really lived and died with a sword. So I would imagine that a fight between Mr Clements and a period master-at-arms (please dont nitpick about this one, I don't know the period names of 13th century fencing/fight masters) would probably fall in the masters favor (however, I would give an arm and a leg to see the fight)
Also, they probably had a much more warlike mentality. I will often emphasize that in anything you do, a mentality is essential. It's the difference between beating someones head in with an ale tankard or despairing once you've lost your weapon. Another 1+ our ancestors (generally) have on us....
But we always have to remember that they werent supermen. They just mightve been more accustomed as a whole to hardship than us, and a bit more ready for a fight, but human.

Also, on the Bohun debacle, you can ask anyone who's smashed someone's head against concrete or been in/seen a stakeboarding accident. It don't take much to incapacitate someone when your targeting their head. Also, the thing might have been exaggerated. He might have killed the guy w/ a solid blow to the head at 60 mph, but I'm sure that the first thing out of his mouth upon returning to the lines was "I RIPPED HIS F***ING HEAD OFF!!!!1!!!" or smiler. And thats how it got written down.
And I'm sure the english must not have been happy about ANYTHING that happened at Bannockburn.
*no comment policy applies*

Just my thoughts.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Woah, this thread was close to turning into a flame war.
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, the only warriors so dedicated to fighting like Adam describes were maybe Templar knights...
Walter S

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think story about Bohun could easily became distorted. Even if you had no intention of misleading listener, you would probably say something like "...and the blow was so hard that Bohun's helm didn't stop it and he was killed." I think few would stop to give explanation that it was only the force of blow that was not stopped and the helm actually was not penetrated by the axe.
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James -

I agree with you completely, and please don't misunderstand me; my observation of the "retreating knights" wasn't meant in any way to diminish or dismiss your comment about the increased force provided by a charging knight. I agree with that as well, and it could very well provide the stake through the heart of my argument that Jeff has been looking for for so long! But it also brings up another point that most modern enthusiasts usually overlook; that the medieval knight was first and foremost a cavalryman. Oakeshott himself said that a knight without his horse was like a tank without an engine. 90% of the time, he fought from horseback, whereas the majority of modern WMA enthusiasts and re-enactors "fight" on foot, and miss a primary and vitally important part of medieval fighting technique. Granted, as I said before, a medieval battlefield was usually dominated mostly by footsoldiers, but the fighting elite, the mounted knight, almost always fought on horseback. Indeed, the images from the Mac. Bible support this. So kudos to you James, for brining that point to our attention.

Jeff -

You could very well be right in your assumption that the Bruce split De Bohun's skull with his axe. Afterall, he was renowned for his skill with it. However, ultimately, I think it's still an open question. So, here we go 'round and 'round again...

Peter Fuller
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Fuller wrote:
James -

I agree with you completely, and please don't misunderstand me; my observation of the "retreating knights" wasn't meant in any way to diminish or dismiss your comment about the increased force provided by a charging knight. I agree with that as well, and it could very well provide the stake through the heart of my argument that Jeff has been looking for for so long! But it also brings up another point that most modern enthusiasts usually overlook; that the medieval knight was first and foremost a cavalryman. Oakeshott himself said that a knight without his horse was like a tank without an engine. 90% of the time, he fought from horseback, whereas the majority of modern WMA enthusiasts and re-enactors "fight" on foot, and miss a primary and vitally important part of medieval fighting technique. Granted, as I said before, a medieval battlefield was usually dominated mostly by footsoldiers, but the fighting elite, the mounted knight, almost always fought on horseback. Indeed, the images from the Mac. Bible support this. So kudos to you James, for brining that point to our attention.

Jeff -

You could very well be right in your assumption that the Bruce split De Bohun's skull with his axe. Afterall, he was renowned for his skill with it. However, ultimately, I think it's still an open question. So, here we go 'round and 'round again...

Peter Fuller

Well, at any rate, I've enjoyed our point-counterpoint, Peter. As usual, nothing is resolved, but we expected that, right? If nothing else, we behaved like adults while we pummeled each other. I think it's great fun. I have a lot of respect for your opinion....BUT THE BRUCE SPLIT DE BOHUNS HEAD LIKE A RIPE MELON!!! Laughing Out Loud

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
Don't fall into the comic book view of medieval warriors as supermen: we know how big and strong they were.

Comic books often take the opposite approach, actually. I remember a time-traveling Captain American beating up some knights because they didn't know judo or karate. It made me shake my head.

Quote:
However, in the time of my great-great-grandfather a man called Sir Richard Francis Burton travelled to parts of the world where men still lived and died by the sword, he fought them and he reported their abilities. Many of his contemporaries did the same, all across Asia and Africa. The Indian Mutiny leaves us with many such accounts - see Swordsmen of the Raj.

So in the recent past we have the accounts of men like Burton who encountered, fought with and in many cases bested lifetime swordsmen like the ones that you refer to.

Burton himself was lifetime swordsman; he began practice at twelve. And he came from a culture where the sword retained a military role; he even published drills on the subject. His similarities with the contemporary civilian martial artist are nonexistent. Furthermore, I don't think it's fair to say that Europeans of the period generally proved superior to their Asian and African opponents in personal combat with edged weapons. For example, an early biographer of Burton included a couple of cases in which Englishmen unable to win with the blade resorted to the gun instead.

Quote:
And martial training was only legal in English cities if it was archery. Wrestling and fencing were illegal in English cities.

They still apparently had plenty of troublemakers running around with sword and buckler, though. The overall picture shows weapons and fighting as common in medieval and Renaissance England.

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine this bizarre medieval world you are describing where men would just swing swords all day... but it didn't exist.

Nobles did train regularly. The Konungs skuggsjá, for instance, advises sparring in heavy armor twice a day. Obviously they did other things as well, but the medieval warrior elite based their identity on prowess. All the evidence suggests they spent considerable time on honing and demonstrating martial skill.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After thinking about it, it occurred to me that I had responded out of I-don't know-what part of my noggin. Actually, I take very little seriously when it comes to depictions of wounds in period illustrations, as few artists had ever seen a battle, and often relied on tournaments for their source material (ever wondered why 'frogmouth' jousting helms so often pop up in battle scenes?). My favorite bits of pure silliness are those depictions of soldiers stabbing each other to death right through breastplates. Now that's superhuman! Eek!

I would say, though, that if anyone ever clove a helm, it would have been most likely in the context of two horsemen charging each other at an early enough date that the iron for helms was as iffy as it ever was, and the sword a really good one, I also doubt that anything more than an iron cap could have been nearly cut in half. I think that if a helm was penetrated, it was described as 'cloven', which would lead those who did not witness the event to think 'fully cut in half'. That's my two cents, anyway.

jamesarlen.com
Ahmad Al-Tabari

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Impossible!         Reply with quote

It is almost impssoble for a sword to cut through a helmet. A heavy blow can certainly leave a dent and give the wearer a headache. But there is no way for a sword to cut through a helmet even if it was made of iron plate as thin as 1.5 mm (quite thin for a helmet).

Mike Loades settles this in a video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h0e0NSwYNg&am...p;index=12

But mind you, there is some inaccuracy in his test as he uses a helmet made of modern steel, while most warriors up to the late medieval period would have had iron helmets.

"My blow cut about four inches off the dagger blade and severed his forearm in two. The mark of the edge of the dagger was left on the edge of my sword. A craftman in our town, on seeing it, said: "I can remove this dent." But I said: "Leave it as it is. It is the best thing on my sword." The mark is there to this day." -Usamah Ibn Munqidh
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You will note that Mr. Loades conducted his test on foot - not horsed. The test ain't good enough. Razz
jamesarlen.com
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Well, at any rate, I've enjoyed our point-counterpoint, Peter. As usual, nothing is resolved, but we expected that, right? If nothing else, we behaved like adults while we pummeled each other. I think it's great fun. I have a lot of respect for your opinion....BUT THE BRUCE SPLIT DE BOHUNS HEAD LIKE A RIPE MELON!!! Laughing Out Loud

Well whatever makes you happy to believe... But if you want the rest of us to take you seriously, then find it in any contemporary chronicles, Scots or English. Even then it doesn't reappear until the nineteenth century romantic revivalists in Scotland dig up Barbour's "Bruce", fueled by the mania for anything historically complimentary to the Scots. Its almost as bad as quoting Gerald of Wales as credible eyewitness to the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland. Yeah, its there on the page, its written by some old dead guy.... must be true.

Laughing Out Loud
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

Well whatever makes you happy to believe... But if you want the rest of us to take you seriously, then find it in any contemporary chronicles, Scots or English. Even then it doesn't reappear until the nineteenth century romantic revivalists in Scotland dig up Barbour's "Bruce", fueled by the mania for anything historically complimentary to the Scots. Its almost as bad as quoting Gerald of Wales as credible eyewitness to the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland. Yeah, its there on the page, its written by some old dead guy.... must be true.

Laughing Out Loud

Well, I don't much care if you or anyone else takes me seriously or not. I've read plenty of bogus opinions on this site, as well as some pretty good ones. But I am still not aware of any DENIALS from contemporary English sources regarding this event, either close to the actual date of the event or generations later. Are you? If so, then produce them. If you can't, than your opinion is no better than mine, and in fact, if there is no such denial at all, than it's even less to be regarded. Peter Fuller, a man I hold in high respect, is at least open to the idea that it could indeed have happened, and that's good enough for me. I can't prove it did, though every source available says so (I've done some checking, they ALL say the same thing). You can't prove it didn't, and so far have produced nothing to back up your statement. You just seem to want to deny it out of hand. I don't consider that a worthwhile argument. As has been said before, absolute comments regarding anything are simply the sign of a closed mind. I, on the other hand, am open to anything, and am unafraid to go against popular opinion, despite all the outraged clucking. I never learned anything form someone who agreed with me.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cut armor in Maciejowski Bible and other period art
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: