Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: Am I asking the impossible? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Wanted: Am I asking the impossible?         Reply with quote

Hi folks

I am wanting a good quality Norman sword (used but well looked after is fine) with a 'Brazil nut' pommel and a Oakeshott type X blade or similar for GBP200+pp (or equivalent USD300pp or EUR240+pp) to be in my hands by 20th October 2010, am I asking too much? Can this be done?

I really hope so Big Grin

Regards
Stuart Q
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could always get one of these for much less than your budget and use the remaining funds to spruce it up yourself:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...rd+-+Sharp

Just an option.
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: The impossible.         Reply with quote

Good man Zach Cool

This sounds like a cool option.

Anybody else with a good secondhand Norman sword please come forward, otherwise this is it!

Thank you

Best Wishes
Stuart Q
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Same sword but from The Knight Shop in Wales (at a very reasonable price too IMHO Happy ):

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/tinker...-2585.html

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Marketplace forum is not for seeking or giving advice; it's just for sales. Any discussions here should be between buyers and sellers only.

If you are not selling the item being sought, then please do not post in this thread.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Norman sword         Reply with quote

David, think is perfect and convenient also. Chad, sorry for breaching forum etiquette.

regards Stuart Q
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Moved to off-topic since the Marketplace rules weren't being observed.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stuart Quayle said:

I am wanting a good quality Norman sword (used but well looked after is fine) with a 'Brazil nut' pommel and a Oakeshott type X blade or similar for GBP200+pp (or equivalent USD300pp or EUR240+pp) to be in my hands by 20th October 2010, am I asking too much? Can this be done?

I'm not sure of your price limit, but here is an amazing sword-maker near my home in Washington State.

Michael Pearce:
www.tinkerswords.com

Not only a master smith, but also a Medieval fight trainer. The only issue? His blades are very expensive. He is a master craftsman, as anyone who owns one of his blades will attest.

Good luck!

Michele H.

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The Marketplace forum is not for seeking or giving advice; it's just for sales. Any discussions here should be between buyers and sellers only.

If you are not selling the item being sought, then please do not post in this thread.

Thank you.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Moved to off-topic since the Marketplace rules weren't being observed.

My apologies, Chad and Nathan. I did not check back for a few days and did not realize the situation. Worried
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach Luna wrote:
My apologies, Chad and Nathan. I did not check back for a few days and did not realize the situation. Worried

Ain't no big thing. Let the discussion continue here. Wish I had an answer. I am kind of curious too what options might be available there, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michele Hansen wrote:

I'm not sure of your price limit, but here is an amazing sword-maker near my home in Washington State.

Michael Pearce:
www.tinkerswords.com

Not only a master smith, but also a Medieval fight trainer. The only issue? His blades are very expensive. He is a master craftsman, as anyone who owns one of his blades will attest.

Good luck!

Michele H.

Mr. Pearce designed the sword that Mr. Sutton and I linked to. Big Grin
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you want it for reenactment? If so, I'd contact Paul Binns or Tim Noyes in your case.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd go with the tinker norman, but spruced up and completed with a scabbard and belt from Valiant Armory. They can dye the leather any color you want, re wrap the grip, just about anything you could ask for. All for around what your looking to spend. Here's the link...............

http://custom-sword-shoppe.com/shoppe/

And if you join the forums you'll get a member discount.

http://custom-sword-shoppe.com/forum/index.php

And here's link to the thread for the norman sword and some pictures of the complete kit.........................

http://custom-sword-shoppe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=247

Good luck man and don't forget to post pictures of your new sword.

Winter is coming
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Norman sword.         Reply with quote

Many thanks folks for all the great advice and links. My! that Tinker sword with Valiant Armoury scabbard and belt sure looks good Cool

The sword would be used for livinghistory, but not combat.

Just waiting for some pics of another sword & scabbard I have been offered. Will let you know how it all goes.

Many thanks again

Stuart
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Norman sword & scabbard.         Reply with quote

Hi folks

As promised, here is a pic of the Norman sword and properly researched scabbard and belt (plus fittings) I was offered and just couldn't resist!

Regards
Stuart

Attachment: 104.86 KB
[ Download ]
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, I doubt, that this scabbard and belt combination is properly researched. Mikes recommendation seems more historic accurate to me. But nevertheless have fun with your new sword.

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who's it made by Stuart,
looks like a paul binns or white rose etc,
is it the picture,or is there some serious repair grindwork been done to the lower end of the point 4-6" back from the tip,also dust on the blade or nicks further back,
cant comment on the scabbard,but looks tidy to fit the sword,
looking at the recco Mike made,looks a real nice sword overall,
by default and luck i ended up with a sword from Tinker he pictured on his first book,if Sonny's swords are half as good,there awsome value,
mines similer to your description but slightly downturned guard,right pommell,and really cool blade,
i'd have offered but as mentioned by michele,it'd run twice what you wanted to go too as we speak,and thats only because mine was the last one before Tinker moved up his prices,so as to be able to continue, Eek!
bet you dont stop at one if this is your first, Wink Cool
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Norman sword.         Reply with quote

Hi Thomas

I am more than happy that the scabbard for this Norman sword has been properly researched, this was Peter Fuller's personal sword and scabbard combination for the Hastings 2000 re-enactment (yes that is the armourer Peter Fuller of Medieval Reproductions), here is what Peter told me when he offered me the sword:

"The belt attachment to the scabbard was based on a drawing by Ewart Oakeshott, and the buckle was based on a photo from the Osprey "Normans" book. I'm not sure where I got the design for the scabbard chape, but if you're interested, I can look it up and let you know. The strap end on the belt I made up based on one of the animals on the border of the Bayeux Tapestry"

Thank you for your good wishes in any case Wink

Lee, many thanks for your observations. The sword is an early manufacture Del-Tin and Peter being the true gentleman he is has offered to sharpen the blade for me and point the tip, free of charge.

and yes, I do believe that one of those Tinker Hanwei Norman swords will be on my shopping list soon Cool

Regards
Stuart

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wanted: Am I asking the impossible?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic