Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Asking for input on production axes for this season. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a set of upgraded(charmed) tridents that I did for a customer who is making a throne out of them.

These are based off of our standard tridents, but I spiral fluted the handes and Kerry chiseled the heads.
These were over 7' tall. The man who ordered these is a giant so they dont even look that big in his hands.

More pics here : http://imakeswords.com/charmedtridents.htm

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New bardiche pattern that we are making for the Battle of the Nations fellas.

They wanted the whole thing heat treated and extra long sockets. Standard will come with shorter sockets and a tab option instead of the lower socket.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one that I made for my brother in law for Christmas. I made him a eagle pommeled cutlass a few years ago that he loved.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That eagle head looks really nice Matt. Did you consider making the blade a similar texture to match?

Hope you all had a happy holiday and best wishes for the new year. Look forward to any news in my inbox.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan W. wrote:
That eagle head looks really nice Matt. Did you consider making the blade a similar texture to match?

Hope you all had a happy holiday and best wishes for the new year. Look forward to any news in my inbox.

Yes I did want to try that, but it being a Christmas gift, I just coulnt see putting in the extra time on this one. Perhaps on the next one.

Best of wishes to you and yours as well. I will tell Kerry to get you an update on your Smallsword.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a Bardiche that we just finished for one of the member of the USA Battle of the Nations team. We made a few of these scaled down a bit but this fellow is quite large and asked for a bigger one. This is roughly 25" from the bottem socket to the top tip. We round the points over for legal use in the BotN, but pointing ones are available.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome work... I know I'm looking forward to an axe blank capable of a 45" axe blade length! (Ok, well something ridiculous since it is a fantasy axe, not looking for reality in this one!) It will probably be easier to ship it to me on a wooden pallet when you are finished... We will break a record with it hopefully. As long as it weights no more than 50 lbs, I'm good with it... Look forward to catching up with you soon.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always like the detail on this one as well as far as historical axes go...
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might have to commission that (fantasy) "Gladiator" (the movie) trident from you... I have pictures of it... its wicked... I posted it here back in 2008. I'll find the photos..
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always liked this 'double trident' from "Gladiator...

Attachment: 92.49 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 163.91 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 96.72 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 184.56 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 90.64 KB
[ Download ]
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh sure, no problem. I can do that.
Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Matthew: Oh, Ryan at Kult of Athena wrote back that his going to look into my suggestion to him about the Bardiche, although I'm sure he might also be interested in other axe or polearms heads only and/or fully mounted.

By the way Ryan had nice things to say about the quality of your work and his opinion has a great deal of weight for me. Big Grin Cool

I can't say enough of Ryan and the staff at KOA. Super guys that know how to run a buisness and they know the sword market just as good as anyone else if not better.

You are correct, your request was taken seriously and I got and email this morning from Ryan asking to stock more of our axe line. This will only generate more momentum in getting some more deisgns worked out and released.

I am excited and not ashamed to admit it! I love pole weapons. They were my first job at BKS and still hold a dear place in my heart.

Oh, I just saw that the Bardiche is currently in stock at Kult of Athena as well as some of the other axe heads mentioned in this Topic thread: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...diche+Head

I have to wait a couple of weeks before buying for my purchase to be billed on the next Credit card billing period as I will get an extra month before it shows ups on my statement if I wait until after mid-February.

Anyway also have to go and buy an oversized diameter pole for it, but I already have a source for 1 3/4" White Oak about 8' long. After I cut it off to about 5' long for the Bardiche I will have a 3' piece I can use form a carved walking stick.

Anyway, thought I should let you guys know about it, and if it becomes out of stock I will just order one and have to wait a few weeks more before it arrives.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yea, no problem Jean. We are keeping stock of those in house and KOA has given us the go ahead to just keep shipping them stuff as soon as we see it is sold. So, it wont be long if it sells before you can get another.

They will soon have our new pattern of Bardiche too. KOA cracks me up. They have so much of our items that are not even listed yet. I visited their store last month and was blown away by how buisy they are. Great folks! Proud to have them as a dealer.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Yea, no problem Jean. We are keeping stock of those in house and KOA has given us the go ahead to just keep shipping them stuff as soon as we see it is sold. So, it wont be long if it sells before you can get another.

They will soon have our new pattern of Bardiche too. KOA cracks me up. They have so much of our items that are not even listed yet. I visited their store last month and was blown away by how buisy they are. Great folks! Proud to have them as a dealer.

Well gives me a chance to see if I like the new pattern better as well as anything else that might appeal to me.

It's also Municipal tax time and I have to pay close to $4,000 for that, but that is expected every year as something unavoidable, Sad Cry so in a way doesn't directly affect my " toy " budget except that it slows me down a bit for a month or two and can't make too many impulse buys all at the same time. Wink Laughing Out Loud

The Bardiche is very reasonably priced for a medium to high end functional piece by the way and certainly wish you the best in selling many of then and your other really nice axe heads.

Looking forward to having my first BKS piece soon and mounting it on a very stout pole/haft: Probably around 5' for the pole with a total length around 6', I see the Bardiche as an evolution of the Danish Axe in style and function as a medium length polearm.

When purchased and mounted I will take pics and give it an informal review.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are one gents set of axes all hafted up at Team USA's (Battle of the Nations) training center. They have a nice little indoor list if you ask me!

These were requested with extra long sockets.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Does a tomahawk count? I've had a hankering for one of those sort of "Roman nosed" tomahawks which I think were a French trade item. I don't expect that it would be a thrower so it could be hardened enough to be a useable belt axe.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Hi Matt,

Does a tomahawk count? I've had a hankering for one of those sort of "Roman nosed" tomahawks which I think were a French trade item. I don't expect that it would be a thrower so it could be hardened enough to be a useable belt axe.

Sure it counts. I usually make hawk heads out of random pieces of metal. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some standard designs for a few different hawk heads.
-Matt

P.S. Did you ever do anything with those wrought viking hilt pieces I made you? Love to see it if you did.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are our new Viking and Danish axe patterns. We will do several others variations of these but these are the first.

There is a pair on the way to Kult of Athena but these 2 are ready to ship from us.

Remember these and all of our axe patterns can be ordered at any scale. It is easy for us to size them up or down.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
William P

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

in particular i am LOVING the axe pattern in the last photo
but just to clarify, thats a 7 inch long edge? and 8 inches from the poll, to the edge? something about the photos is throwing off my sense of scale and making me think those axeheads are very small but im, personally really liking the look of them.
really captured that wickid 'guillotine' edge
would i be willing to assume that rebating for reenactment combat may be possible?

and whats the weight of the heads out of curiosity
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer asked me, ". Did you ever do anything with those wrought viking hilt pieces I made you? Love to see it if you did."

Well, I occasionally look at it wistfully, wishing I could work on it but something always seems to bump it to the end of the line. Its like the shoemaker's kids running around barefoot!

I build furniture and cabinetry and while I feel lucky to have work it seems the projects always preclude doing major projects for myself. I've tackled something smaller in part as a sort of prelude to a sword. I bought a bushcraft knife in kit form from Tod at the English Cutler and I'm fashioning a grip for it from English yew and brass ( I worked on it today for a bit). I've also borrowed a grinder from my son to shape the end of the tang and I have some interesting wood for the grip although I think explaining how a Viking managed to get a sword grip made from tiger maple or American walnut is going to be about as hard as getting a camel through the eye of a needle! Part of the problem is my vision of the grip keeps changing. if I make it from tiger maple then it really can't be carved because the carving and the wood grain will not coexist well together. While working walnut is almost a woodworker's idea of Valhalla if I carve the grip out of walnut, the carving will essentially disappear in the rich brown of the walnut. I've been thinking of the possibility of doing bone inlay in the walnut. Runes perhaps? a stylized long ship? A polar bear? Thor' s Hammer seems sort of stupid on a sword hilt. A Valkyrie's phone number? Something else? I like all of them ( except the phone number and the hammer!) so I'm having a tough time figuring out what to make.

Bone inlay in walnut (sort of proto scrimshaw) seems like a really good idea. Any suggestions?

Please forgive the digression from axes and polearms.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Asking for input on production axes for this season.
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: