Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reproduction Scottish "S" Hilts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reproduction Scottish "S" Hilts         Reply with quote

Just showin' off some....

L to R:
1. ElJay Erickson, Mazansky type E6a (JS).
2. Vince Evans, Mazansky type E6a
3. Erik Stevenson, Mazansky type K1
4. ElJay Erickson, Mazansky type E2

Blade sources:
1. Cold Steel
2. Vince Evans
3. Angus Trim
4. African Kaskara

Attachment: 84.28 KB
2009-06-10 14-27-00_0034 A.jpg

Attachment: 95.94 KB
2009-06-10 14-26-47_0033 A.jpg

Attachment: 96.56 KB
2009-06-10 14-26-18_0030 A.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooo! I love seeing these photos.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very beautiful hilts! Blades are great too, I love multi fullered blades.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow its hard to believe that the Erik Stevenson has an ATrim blade. Erik was fantastic.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Wow its hard to believe that the Erik Stevenson has an ATrim blade. Erik was fantastic.

My Erick Stevenson's all have ATRIM blades, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man o man! Those are some real beauties thanks for showing:)
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jason Elrod wrote:

My Erick Stevenson's all have ATRIM blades, too.

Yes but the blades on your swords don't have quite the changes to them that this one seems to have. I don't remember Gus ever designing a blade with a "ricasso" like the one on this sword. Erik had to do some significant changes.

Gus once told me that he was looking at a Phoenix Metal Creation Sword and asked Erik where he got the blade. Apparently Erick bought the blade from Gus. Gus was impressed.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I took a few pictures of an Ericson with a super wide triple fullered Odin blade. I'll try to get them up soon. The Vince Evans one is super cool. I've gotten to work with several EB Ericson hilts and they are a joy to blade up.
Jason Elrod

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Lundemo wrote:
I took a few pictures of an Ericson with a super wide triple fullered Odin blade. I'll try to get them up soon. The Vince Evans one is super cool. I've gotten to work with several EB Ericson hilts and they are a joy to blade up.

Love to see the ones that you mounted. Please find some time.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Gus once told me that he was looking at a Phoenix Metal Creation Sword and asked Erik where he got the blade. Apparently Erick bought the blade from Gus. Gus was impressed.

Yeah, that was my schiavona. The story is a bit different, though, in that I took the sword to a WMA event in Northern California where Gus also attended. I showed him the completed hilt and he asked me where Erik got the blade. I replied by telling him that it was made from his bare blade. He was proud and embarrassed at the same time. The "Sinclair" Sword is even more heavily modified.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Scottish "S" Hilts         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:

L to R:

Which one is your favorite, David?

Or, if you're like me and you have a hard time picking favorites, would you mind typing up some impressions of each?

By the way, that Cold Steel blade looks great on that first sword. I'd never have guessed.

David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Scottish "S" Hilts         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
David Wilson wrote:

L to R:

Which one is your favorite, David?

Or, if you're like me and you have a hard time picking favorites, would you mind typing up some impressions of each?

By the way, that Cold Steel blade looks great on that first sword. I'd never have guessed.

Well, if I really HAVE to choose.... Razz

... it would be #2. The Evans. Vince built that sword to my specifications; it was my first all-out custom-built sword, and sort of a milestone for me. As such it has personal significance. Plus, it looks gorgeous and handles gorgeous, if you know what I mean.

Although... truth be told, they're all awesome. Number 3, the Erik Stevenson, is the lightest and best balanced of all of them, and is an absolute pleasure to wield. Number 4 is almost as light as the Stevenson, but not quite. However, it has this funky vibe which is hard to describe -- it makes you think you're handling an actual antique. Well, the blade may well be an antique, as it was taken from a Sudanese broadsword that must have been about 100 years old, possibly dating to the Mahdi uprising. So thinking it's an antique is not entirely incorrect. Number 4, on the other hand, is a real bruiser and the heaviest of the lot, but the balance is good so that it works out. Anyway, this one feels like it could definitely do a Rob Roy on someone (although all of them probably could as well. It's just that this one has some heft to it and feels like a target destroyer).

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Scottish "S" Hilts         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
Well, the blade may well be an antique, as it was taken from a Sudanese broadsword that must have been about 100 years old, possibly dating to the Mahdi uprising. So thinking it's an antique is not entirely incorrect.

Yeah, some original antiques were rehilted with Kashkara blades in the 19th century as well.
I actually think one of the swords at the Culloden Visitors Center has a Kashkara blade... It had the same typical three fullers, the same tapering and cross section and also had some blade stamps that look exactly like the Sudanese ones. Kind of funny, methinks Big Grin

Lovely swords, David. I love the look of the blade on the Phoenix Metal Creations one.

I've only every held one Vince Evans sword, and that's the backsword he gave to the center at Culloden. Incredible piece. A joyous balance to it. And it compares well to the 18th century basket hilts I've held...

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reproduction Scottish "S" Hilts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic