Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Search tricks? And renew old topics vs. start new? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl W.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Search tricks? And renew old topics vs. start new?         Reply with quote

Which is preferable if I have a follow up question or something to add? Is it considered bad form to renew old threads? Over time, this could make topics get long. But starting a new one means future searches by other folks get even longer lists.

I have a 2 more search related questions after a couple years...

Most of the time when I click Back after going to a thread, instead of returning to the searched list I get a white "web page has expired" & have to re-enter the search. This happens even just seconds later. Is this myArmoury or some problem with by browser (setting)?

I still can't use myArmoury search very efficiently. I use AND between 2 or at most 3 words, but still I most often get either very long lists or nothing. Any other search tricks I should try?

Thanks very much.
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Search tricks? And renew old topics vs. start new?         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
Most of the time when I click Back after going to a thread, instead of returning to the searched list I get a white "web page has expired" & have to re-enter the search. This happens even just seconds later. Is this myArmoury or some problem with by browser (setting)?

Try F5 + Enter.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Search tricks? And renew old topics vs. start new?         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
Which is preferable if I have a follow up question or something to add? Is it considered bad form to renew old threads? Over time, this could make topics get long. But starting a new one means future searches by other folks get even longer lists.

Why have info in two places when you can have it in one? Happy If your question is essentially the same as an old one, it makes more sense to revive an old thread rather than create more threads for people to sift through.

Quote:

I'm guessing you're using Internet Explorer. Firefox doesn't usually give you the "expired" thing. It's not a myArmoury thing, if I had to guess, as the forum Search function seems to be the built-in one that comes with phpBB (the software that powers the forum skeleton).

To get around this when using IE, when I view search results and want to open a thread, I right-click and open the thread in a new window. If the thread isn't what I want, I can just close the window and still have my search results in the original window. Easy as pie. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Carl,

Quote:

I think it's myArmoury (or rather phpBB), the search results are not stored indefinitely and for good reasons...
What I often do is opening several of the results that look most interesting in new tabs, that way I don't have to go back to the search page after reading the first one.

Quote:
I still can't use myArmoury search very efficiently. I use AND between 2 or at most 3 words, but still I most often get either very long lists or nothing. Any other search tricks I should try?

A good one to remember, when the phpBB search (which is what myArmoury uses) is not enough, is that you can use Google to search only on this site. The query should include site:www.myArmoury.com, like this one:
http://www.google.fr/search?q=site%3Awww.myar...e+times%22
The thing I like with that one is that you can use the quotes to search for an expression instead of just words. And of course it also works on other websites Happy

Another thing is when you want to find a particular thread you remember. Then you can search only on the title, or restrict the search to one subforum, or search only posts from one author. This can cut down the number of results quite rapidly.

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Search tricks? And renew old topics vs. start new?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic